Console wars.

CastletonSnob

pepsi all day. coke is garbage. makes my teeth feel like they are covered in syrup. 

dodge over chevy or ford. nothing beats a cummins.

Bud Light  bc fuck you, thats why

however - I love xbox and ps5 equally for different reasons. im fortunate to be able to have both.

• Guillotine 1

"Fandom" of any sort requires strict obedience, and I've found that movie/comics/video game nerds are more than happy to oblige.  The lack of independent thought is striking.  Console wars stuff though seems like it was really perpetuated early on by younger people who could only own one system.  But then it's just... stuck around.  And it's pathetic.

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I feel like the console wars thing has died down in recent years. Or is that just because I mainly post here, where the average user is pushing 40? 

I don't know how strong it is anymore, but there was definitely a good amount of weirdos that were upset when the Persona games started getting ported to non-Sony platforms.

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

pepsi all day. coke is garbage. makes my teeth feel like they are covered in syrup. 

dodge over chevy or ford. nothing beats a cummins.

Bud Light  bc fuck you, thats why

however - I love xbox and ps5 equally for different reasons. im fortunate to be able to have both.

Ill take my duramax over a fuel guzzling Cummins any day. Had both for work over the years. I loved my cummins, but I got half the mileage of my Duramax. Also, the chev is all around a far smoother ride and all around better quality vehicle. Both Rams (Diesel and Hemi) were money pits,  my chev so far has been perfect, except for a piece of chrome that had to be replaced.

you’re correct about pepsi though, far better.

Definitely not drinking bud light though. If i must drink beer from a corporation, it’s going to be Rickards red or Keiths Wheat Ale. Not that I really drink, I like a beer with wings or ribs, or at night on the shore at the cottage.

Michelob Ultra and Blue Moon are my favorite mass produced beers. I never did like Bud Light.

I'll drink Coke or Pepsi, I don't have a preference.

I hold no loyalty to automobile brands. I currently drive a Chevy, but I've driven Toyota, Honda, and Nissan in the past. Who knows what my next truck will be.

As for games, I play everything by Xbox, mainly because there's zero reason to own one for me.

4 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

What is it about consoles that make people so tribalistic?

You don't see Coca-Cola drinkers bragging about how much better their soda sells than Pepsi. You don't see McDonalds eaters making liking McDonalds their identity, like console fanboys do.

Tribalism is our most natural state.

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I feel like the console wars thing has died down in recent years. Or is that just because I mainly post here, where the average user is pushing 40? 

Just check out ahem… certain social media sites. Replies to things that seem completely innocuous are riddled with fanboy bullshit. I would chalk it up more to this being a forum of generally rational and kind individuals over the age thing. But yeah it’s interesting that this forum really never got into that shit. 

• True 2

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

Agreed but I prefer the power stroke over both.

I owned one Ford, not a diesel though. It was the worst vehicle I’ve ever owned and left me stranded multiple times, once about 30 miles in the woods while hunting. i traded it within days of that. Had it less than 18 months I know that’s obviously bad luck, but I never even considered them after that. 

The games industry has generally changed to be less console war-ish itself.  Series X and PS5 are nigh equivalent in capability.  Almost everything is multi-platform.  Many multiplayer games are cross platform now.  It's also clear that each manufacturer doesn't need to have its own mascot character, its own Halo, its own envelope pushing M-rated game, etc.  There's no Square betraying Nintendo, no EA betraying Sega.  Even unfortunate industry trends like multiplayer paywalls have become so normalized that it's an every console issue.

I think the push towards acquisitions and paid-off exclusives has reignited the flames a bit though.  This time, its not as much about what each manufacturer has built up, but more about what they're keeping the other from.  Which sucks.

17 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

What is it about consoles that make people so tribalistic?

You don't see Coca-Cola drinkers bragging about how much better their soda sells than Pepsi. You don't see McDonalds eaters making liking McDonalds their identity, like console fanboys do.

I think it’s because McDonalds doesn’t try to start a tribalike food war. Pepsi definitely did and there are definitely team coke vs team Pepsi dividing lines. 

I’ve seen people pick Nascar cars and drivers to follow and merch to buy based on the sponsor. In the early 2000s my dad did it with Miller Lite, I saw people do it with Pepsi and Mountain Dew. Because they wanted to see “their brand” do well vs other brands. 

iPhone vs Galaxy, Mac vs PC, Linux vs Windows; it’s not even just a console thing with tech. 

sometimes it’s being part of a group. Sometimes it comes from legitimate love for a product. Sometimes it includes real hate for another product or the company behind it. But sometimes the hate is manufactured to internalize and justify the choice of one over the other. 

I tolerate MS more than Sony because I own an Xbox and want it to be well supported. The bulk of my library is on Xbox so I want the next one to not be a piece of shit, because I don’t want to buy a piece of shit just to keep playing with my friends who probably won’t get a PlayStation. So yeah, fuck Sony. lol 

Shit, you should see wrestling fans now that All Elite Wrestling became a viable number two company in the industry for the first time in 20 years. Twitter is a cesspool filled with people who only grew up with WWE and are ANGRY that AEW would DARE possibly do things better than WWE.