What’s ‘digital blackface?’ And why is it wrong when White people use it?

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

When I text, I use punctuation where appropriate. But for some weird reason, I never use a period when I end a sentence, but I’ll use a question mark or exclamation point.

An argument could be made that a period, on the last sentence, is implied unless another punctuation is used.  

• Shocked 1

Back to being back on the original topic, a thought on the original article--

The general idea of 'don't use clumsy exaggerations of black culture as a source of humor' makes sense, but the historical comparison is pretty poor.

Blackface has a very particular, distinct place in African American history.  The use of digital media as a communication medium is a fairly separate story with a very different relation to the historical vectors conditioned by black slavery.  So the presumption of a kind of synonymy between them is...flawed...  

On the other hand: uh, yeah, when you make crude black stereotypes the butt of your jokes you're playing with racism.  And when you're at play with racism it can tarnish you during the course of the game, even if you didn't foresee it.  

Also

Mcdaag GIFThink About It GIF by Identity

• Halal 1

35 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

The general idea of 'don't use clumsy exaggerations of black culture as a source of humor' makes sense, but the historical comparison is pretty poor.

Blackface has a very particular, distinct place in African American history.  The use of digital media as a communication medium is a fairly separate story with a very different relation to the historical vectors conditioned by black slavery.  So the presumption of a kind of synonymy between them is...flawed...  

On the other hand: uh, yeah, when you make crude black stereotypes the butt of your jokes you're playing with racism.  And when you're at play with racism it can tarnish you during the course of the game, even if you didn't foresee it.  

Also

that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Glad to see this topic continue the proud D1P tradition of devolving into a discussion about food complete with the age old Pineapple on Pizza debate... Bravo sirs :cheers:

Back on topic... Kinda

Screenshot-2023-03-26-at-12.25.03.png?w=
DEADLINE.COM

There has been no sign of the Mississippi meteorologist since March 8.

I feel like this shouldn't be grounds for firing. Maybe a suspension and some sensitivity training, but this woman certainly didn't have any intent to say anything hateful. If she was 30, I'd say she maybe should have known, but theres no way this woman thought she was saying anything racist. 

Not saying no punishment is warranted, but firing feels like a bit much. 

47 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I feel like this shouldn't be grounds for firing. Maybe a suspension and some sensitivity training, but this woman certainly didn't have any intent to say anything hateful. If she was 30, I'd say she maybe should have known, but theres no way this woman thought she was saying anything racist. 

Not saying no punishment is warranted, but firing feels like a bit much. 

Did you miss this part?

Bassett has previously caused controversy with a comment, referring to a black reporter’s “grandmammy” on air. She later apologized.

She was a repeat offender.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:53 PM, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Also

I'd have replied this to SFLU's post but added I don't care if you find a rascist joke funny. I care that you express it. If your joke would hurt someone and you wouldn't say it don't say it. Like my understanding is race is a social construct. Race wouldn't be in a biology text book so why use it. If scientific racial theory can be in fact disproven them it's not a real thing. Like I think asking someone's ethnicity makes more sense then asking for their race. Like a Nazi would ask someone what their race is. You should ask someone for their ethnicity.

This is circus it doesn't address the root causes of rascism. Europeans coping about colonization and slavery. Coping for a lack of empathy basically. A "Hey if you wouldn't enslave a best friend, why enslave other people you don't know? Is the actual question they are coping about.

My take as a Latin/Arab minority. Did not realize playing HOI4 mp with Gen Z teens would introduce me to the fascinating concept of cope and by extension copium.