What’s ‘digital blackface?’ And why is it wrong when White people use it?

Just now, mclumber1 said:

To be honest I've never liked leftovers.  I think it partly has to do with growing up with 3 other siblings and there never actually being any leftovers after a meal.  My wife thinks I'm strange, and sometimes offended that I don't want to keep leftover food from a big meal. 

I don't like them either and it's because I had to eat them growing up poor. 

However. HOWEVER. If you design the meal to be re-cooked (not re-heated in a microwave) they can be awesome. That means cooking certain things 90% of the way. 

So I know at least a handful of you who have never spent time with Black people if you think your use of aluminum foil is on our level 😂

There is a reason the writer Michael Harriot once told white people who are invited to a Black family’s cookout to bring something, and if in doubt bring aluminum foil.

27 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I'll be honest, I didn't know @sblfilms was black until this thread.

I am Black-ish. My dad is Black and my mom is white, but my skin color is much more whitey. I definitely have a different set of experiences than darker Black men, including my brothers who cover a range of darker skin tones.

5 hours ago, ort said:

There's a Tik Tok trope involving going around a construction site at lunch time and showing off all of the amazing lunches that have been packed by the wives/girlfriends of the (mostly) hispanic men... it's pretty delightful. I think a lot of it is the wives are flexing a bit knowing they are going to be filmed...

I wonder what kind of lunch @Mr.Vic20's wife packs for him :daydream:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I wonder what kind of lunch @Mr.Vic20's wife packs for him :daydream:

:lol: Like there is time for lunch on a real construction site! :lol: Most of the guys I work with have things like protien bars that you can gulp down between tasks. Most of the time I am posting with you guys during the day takes place when I'm pulled into meetings where people take forever to say what the person before them already did! I'm looking serious and typing like I'm taking notes...important notes! :p

• Sicko 1
  • Hugs 2

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Why else would someone wrap paper plates with aluminum foil?

It isn’t the foil itself that is the point of the story. If you grew up around Black women, you would understand the dynamic.

Just now, MarSolo said:

Tell me the story instead.

I don’t particularly care to explain to you the intricacies of family and community culinary labor by Black women that result in rich Black women sending food with their husbands on foil covered plates. It is a long history, and unique within the broader experience of American women. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t particularly care to explain to you the intricacies of family and community culinary labor by Black women that result in rich Black women sending food with their husbands on foil covered plates. It is a long history, and unique within the broader experience of American women. 

I had a snarky reply ready with Michael Harriot’s Deadspin article about the black cookout, not realizing you referenced it earlier 🤣