What’s ‘digital blackface?’ And why is it wrong when White people use it?

Glad to see this topic continue the proud D1P tradition of devolving into a discussion about food complete with the age old Pineapple on Pizza debate... Bravo sirs :cheers:

Back on topic... Kinda

Screenshot-2023-03-26-at-12.25.03.png?w=
DEADLINE.COM

There has been no sign of the Mississippi meteorologist since March 8.

There has been no sign of a Mississippi morning news anchor woman since she voiced a Snoop Dogg phrase on air earlier this month. 

Barbie Bassett has not been on air for the NBC affiliate WLBT since March 8, when her team were discussing the rapper’s addition to his wine line. 

Bassett said, “Fo shizzle, my nizzle,” when the idea of a Snoop collaboration with a newsroom journalist was raised. (“Nizzle” is slang for the N-word.)

The station’s chief meteorologist as well as anchor, Bassett has previously caused controversy with a comment, referring to a black reporter’s “grandmammy” on air. She later apologized.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Did your family put leftovers in the various plastic tubs left over from butter spreads, whipped toppings, etc.? My mom still does.

For years. Country Crock made the best bowls. Ever since they changed to the square bowl (and changed the formula to be awful, plz bring back the cancer parts that made it good), I've stopped using them.

Appropriating black American phrases is quintessentialy white American and using memes that feature black people is not even that. Digital blackface, on the other hand, refers to actually pretending to be a black American through the novelty of the anonymous Internet experience but instead has been a phrase appropriated to mean something divisibly absurd. Imagine that. 

16 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Digital blackface, on the other hand, refers to actually pretending to be a black American through the novelty of the anonymous Internet experience but instead has been a phrase appropriated to mean something divisibly absurd.

No, no it doesn’t. Pretty much the earliest documented mention of the term comes from Lauren Jackson, a Black woman, and she was explicitly referring to reaction Gifs.

What is interesting is that younger kids are going the next level, as they reject gifs/memes, and instead do all sorts of garbage to more directly do the mockery.

16 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I don't think this is true. From what I've seen is they ONLY speak in memes. 

I remember they specifically went through a phase where it was exclusively unintelligible memes, and the fact that the memes were equivalent to absolute gibberish was the point.

6 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I remember they specifically went through a phase where it was exclusively unintelligible memes, and the fact that the memes were equivalent to absolute gibberish was the point.

Yeah, I always viewed that as part of a rejection of old people memery. Just make the absolute most incomprehensible nonsense possible. They also seem to inject themselves and their friends into these bizarre images.

I had to tell my 14 year old to stop updating his iMessage contact pic with all the weird crap he makes.

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

and punctuation is forbidden.

In my experience, this isn't generation specific. If you can tell me how to get the Boomers, Gen X, and Millenials around me to use punctuation then I'm all ears. Doubly so if you can tell me how to get them to use it properly.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, I always viewed that as part of a rejection of old people memery. Just make the absolute most incomprehensible nonsense possible. They also seem to inject themselves and their friends into these bizarre images.

I had to tell my 14 year old to stop updating his iMessage contact pic with all the weird crap he makes.

That's just internet memes. Did you dislike Odd Future?