Captain Marvel Official Trailer

legend

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/making-some-changes/

As of February 25, we will no longer show the ‘Want to See’ percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period. Why you might ask?  We’ve found that the ‘Want to See’ percentage score is often times confused with the ‘Audience Score’ percentage number. (The ‘Audience Score’ percentage, for those who haven’t been following, is the percentage of all users who have rated the movie or TV show positively – that is, given it a star rating of 3.5 or higher – and is only shown once the movie or TV show is released.)

What you will now see at the top of a movie or TV page, once it has been released, is this:

RT_TM_PRODUCT_ARTICLE_700x380-1.jpg

What else are we doing? We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership. We have decided that turning off this feature for now is the best course of action. Don’t worry though, fans will still get to have their say: Once a movie is released, audiences can leave a user rating and comments as they always have.

Last but not least, you will notice we are making some layout changes to the site. Through our research department we have learned that our users would prefer a cleaner, less cluttered, presentation of the Tomatometer and Audience Score. Don’t worry, the information and data are still there (promise!).

GG trolls

1 hour ago, Pikachu said:

Rottentomatoes does more harm than good anyway...This isn't the first time Trolls have review bombed a film and they only changed this because ONE. This is Marvel/Disney we're talking about and TWO. This is whole thing exposes how flawed their system is in the first place. Do lay people really differentiate between the different Rotten Tomato scores? I've had friends quote Rotten Tomato score to me when talking about movies as a justification for whether they like the movie or not... shit is irritating as hell.

I watched it this morning...it's unfortunately mostly just OK. I say that because I feel like we are in for a case of Ghostbusters 2016 where the movie is really average and the MRA side will call it terrible and the anti-MRA types will proclaim it as a really great film. It's absolutely neither. As far as Marvel flicks in 2018 and 2019, it's better than Antman 2, but worse than Panther and IW.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I watched it this morning...it's unfortunately mostly just OK. I say that because I feel like we are in for a case of Ghostbusters 2016 where the movie is really average and the MRA side will call it terrible and the anti-MRA types will proclaim it as a really great film. It's absolutely neither. As far as Marvel flicks in 2018 and 2019, it's better than Antman 2, but worse than Panther and IW.

Better than Antman 2 is better than I thought it would be. Captain Marvel trailers have been meh so anybody who is super hyped for this is setting themselves up for disappointment. 

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Better question is lasting appeal. Ant-Man 2 was completely forgettable. How was Captain Marvel in that regard? Am I just going to forget everything that happened the second I leave the theater like I did with Ant-Man 2, GotG2, Dark World... Well, every second Marvel movie minus Winter Soldier. Marvel really is bad at immediate sequels, aren't they?

When's the last time anyone wanted to watch an MCU movie because it wasn't part of an Avengers Phase? Iron Man 3, maybe? It makes no sense why anyone would be so hyped for Captain Marvel because it's not leading directly into the next Avengers movie. And with that mindset, how could anyone be let down if this movie is underwhelming on its own merits? Ant-Man 2 sucked, but who was really angry over it and angry at the people talking about it? Black Panther was merely okay, but it was over hyped and over praised - and no one was angry about anything being said about it. So why should anyone think any different about Captain Marvel failing or not, and why should anyone be angry about how the movie actually is on its own?

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Better question is lasting appeal. Ant-Man 2 was completely forgettable. How was Captain Marvel in that regard? Am I just going to forget everything that happened the second I leave the theater like I did with Ant-Man 2, GotG2, Dark World... Well, every second Marvel movie minus Winter Soldier. Marvel really is bad at immediate sequels, aren't they?

I don’t find it to have any particularly memorable characteristics, and it’s a flick that will totally be lost in minds due to its release right before End Game.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

How is it compared to Wonder Woman?

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

VuTfAUW.jpg

This is what liberals want

My kids are white boys and they loved the spiderverse movie... And will probably love captain marvel. 

Also if some freak is turned around the whole movie staring at my kids we are probably going to have words. 

• Haha 1

Reviews coming in hot: 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

Critics Consensus: Packed with action, humor, and visual thrills, Captain Marvel introduces the MCU's latest hero with an origin story that makes effective use of the franchise's signature formula.

Tomatometer currently at 87% and a 7.17/10 avg rating. 93 reviews total.

Just now, Pikachu said:

The 91% represents the percentage of critics that submitted a positive review. The 7.02/10 avg is the average of the scores given like Metacritic.

91% being anything over the midpoint on that specific reviewer's scoring scale?

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Each critic decides whether to assign a rotten rating or a positive one. There are examples of critics submitting a 3/5 review but picking a rotten rating nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Correct. For future reference, the only thing that matters are the average scores. All the percentages tell you is whether the reviewer essentially wrote an overall "rotten" or "fresh" review whereas the average rating is an actual aggregate of the actual scores each reviewer gave. A movie could have a 90% RottenTomatoes score but that's because everyone gave the film a 3/5 star review (technically positive), let's say. Well, 90% sounds like an amazeballs film, but 3/5 isn't that great a score. So the average score would read something like 6/10 but with a 90% Tomatometer, so the percentages don't tell you the actual quality of the film as well as the average scores do (if you are trying to use any demonstrable metric, that is). 

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Correct. For future reference, the only thing that matters are the average scores. All the percentages tell you is whether the reviewer essentially wrote an overall "rotten" or "fresh" review whereas the average rating is an actual aggregate of the actual scores each reviewer gave. A movie could have a 90% RottenTomatoes score but that's because everyone gave the film a 3/5 star review (technically positive), let's say. Well, 90% sounds like an amazeballs film, but 3/5 isn't that great a score. So the average score would read something like 6/10 but with a 90% Tomatometer, so the percentages don't tell you the actual quality of the film as well as the average scores do (if you are trying to use any demonstrable metric, that is). 

Looking at a page for a movie that's already out...is the audience score the actual average score from audience reviews, and not just the percentage of "positive" reviews?

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Looking at a page for a movie that's already out...is the audience score the actual average score from audience reviews, and not just the percentage of "positive" reviews?

As I understand it, the audience percentage works like the "top critics" and "all critics" percentages - just based on "thumbs up = fresh; thumbs down = rotten". The audience average score is on a scale of 1-5 instead of like with "all critics" and "top critics" where it is 1-10 but otherwise I believe it works the same, taking into account the actual scores being given the film by audience members/audience reviews and mathematically aggregating them. 

How long after a movie comes out does it take for RT to compile a fair score, though? There's probably a lot of hype reviews at first, and then maybe reviews coming from lesser known entities who weren't allowed to see press screenings, and then other kinds of reviews (I don't know what...)? I can't imagine a review scale being all that fair and "thorough" days before a movie comes out *shrugs*