Captain Marvel Official Trailer

legend

13 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I would think under what context they are masturbating would matter here. Is it because they want to fuck Brie Larson and are objectifying and sexualizing her or because they are so turned on by supporting female empowerment, etc.? And aren't both bad reasons that undermine the very point that the man would be trying to prove? Inquiring minds want to know! (No, they don't). :nerd:

• Haha 2

Anybody watch it tonight? Watched it again for a friends wedding rehearsal dinner (he worked on the flick and is a huge MCU fan), and the bad parts bothered me less but...it doesn’t have many high points. 

I just got back from a 1030pm showing... And while it wasn't bad, it wasn't good. Unremarkable, maybe? =/

There were a lot of underwhelming parts of this movie with very very few bright spots. But I think the biggest shadow cast over this movie is that this is the in-between story from Infinite War to Endgame, and it just fails to do anything to satisfy with how IW made you feel. I think if this movie would have been released sometime during Phase 2 it would have stood a better chance with what it was telling audiences. But I have seen other comments from people online saying that it's just a bad script, so maybe that's the real problem? It's hard to tell with the one viewing and me recounting it so late after bedtime lol.

The main non-spoiler sticking points I can give are:

-Brie Larson does a fine job as the Captain Marvel character. But the character is written sloppy, and there's no rhyme or reason as to why she acts the way she does with a backstory that crawls like a snail to tell you anything. There's an attitude about her that just isn't earned or developed that takes you out of most moments that she's in throughout the entire movie.

-The main character is textbook cliche'd and weak - the way she gets her powers is awful, the way she uses them is lame, the reasons why she uses them the way she does is boring, and the fight choreography jumps between shaky cam fist fighting to over grandiose cg "laser beam" fighting that never feels important.

-The banter between Danvers and Fury is one of the high spots of the film, but it lasts a very short while.

-The music is poorly overlayed in most all scenes. Yes, it's majority blatant female rock in odd places (with only two male songs - one of which is actually used decently), but they're all put in at odd times with specific lyrics of the song being timed to the actions on screen that are a bit eye-rolling. In one scene, before we get to the bar that the song is playing in, it's gotta be heard when she's on her motorcycle before she actually gets to the bar. And I am not sorry, 'No Doubt' music is not a good choice for fight music.

-Nick Fury and SHIELD are dumbed down a little too much in this. There is no secret organization as much as they're a kind-of FBI.

-The cat and the main Skrull villain hype is just that - hype. It's a cute cat and a main villain that's being allowed to talk colloquially *shrugs*

What I came away from this was a lot of comparisons with Guardians of the Galaxy and nothing from Black Panther or Wonder Woman. There was an odd use of light humor that wasn't all that humorous, on top of the song selections not being all that robust or well chosen like any of the Awesome Mix's were. And there wasn't as much visual creativity to the alien worlds or space scenes. It just felt like someone watched Guardians scene by scene and did their best to imitate it without plagiarizing it.

There was maybe two plot holes I found, and one out loud funny scene. The Stan Lee cameo is great if you catch what he's doing, remember the date this is taking place in, and know the entirety of what it really led to at the time. And the Stan Lee Marvel logo tribute was very decently done at the beginning. And without giving away any big spoiler, I think I saw the beginnings of an X-Men tie-in =)

But the movie on it's own, though? An hour into it my friends and I were leaning in to each other saying how we wished the end credits would just play so we could watch those scenes and go home. And you're gonna see it because of the larger MCU puzzle, and that's what will inevitably hurt it. Maybe when Endgame comes out you can decide if this would fit in better at a different time and be more enjoyable because of it (I'd say if this came out after Winter Soldier but before CIvil War it would have played better), but you're gonna have to figure that out on your own.

C- grade just because the story is boring and uneventful to the MCU. I might even dare to say this is the equivalent of the Green Lantern movie in the MCU...

I certainly did not love it. Not for any ridiculous reasons, I just found it flat. The highs are pretty low, and some of the lows are unbearable. It’s not a bad movie, but it did nothing to make me more excited for endgame. It’s like she was shoehorned into the story because they needed a female standalone. 

I didnt hate it, but I certainly won’t see it again.

3 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I just got back from a 1030pm showing... And while it wasn't bad, it wasn't good. Unremarkable, maybe? =/

3 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

C- grade just because the story is boring and uneventful to the MCU. I might even dare to say this is the equivalent of the Green Lantern movie in the MCU...

You didn’t even mention the really weird way Brie Larson runs!

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You didn’t even mention the really weird way Brie Larson runs!

I know we've got some sort of ideal disconnect between each other, so let me plagiarize and edit some of those quote reviews you were so unwittingly defending against me:

“In the age of the dour superhero flick, Captain Marvel strikes a pleasing chord, at once delivering levity, gravity and spectacle.” – Hannah Woodhead, Little White Lies

“In the age of the well made superhero flick, Captain Marvel strikes an uneven chord, at once delivering boring levity, triviality and standard cg visuals.” – Me

“It takes a few wild swings for the movie to finally land, but once it does, it becomes a fun, brisk, and engaging movie – though one nestled comfortably within the Marvel movie formula.” – Hoai-Tran Bui, Slashfilm

“It takes no wild swings and never lands. It constantly remains a dull, drawn-out, and passable movie – one that is shoe-horned within the Marvel movie formula.” – Me

“Captain Marvel is not the blunt-force challenge to the accepted norms that Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther came to represent, but it’s a potent statement of intent.” – Simon Foster, Screen-Space

“Captain Marvel is not the blunt-force challenge to the accepted norms that James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy came to represent, and it’s a blatant statement of intent.” – Me

I could go on, but I think this is the only way you can process why it's not a good movie.

1 minute ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I know we've got some sort of ideal disconnect between each other, so let me plagiarize and edit some of those quote reviews you were so ostensibly defending against me:

“In the age of the dour superhero flick, Captain Marvel strikes a pleasing chord, at once delivering levity, gravity and spectacle.” – Hannah Woodhead, Little White Lies

“In the age of the well made superhero flick, Captain Marvel strikes an uneven chord, at once delivering boring levity, triviality and standard cg visuals.” – Me

“It takes a few wild swings for the movie to finally land, but once it does, it becomes a fun, brisk, and engaging movie – though one nestled comfortably within the Marvel movie formula.” – Hoai-Tran Bui, Slashfilm

“It takes no wild swings and never lands. It constantly remains a dull, drawn-out, and passable movie – one that is shoe-horned within the Marvel movie formula.” – Me

“Captain Marvel is not the blunt-force challenge to the accepted norms that Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther came to represent, but it’s a potent statement of intent.” – Simon Foster, Screen-Space

“Captain Marvel is not the blunt-force challenge to the accepted norms that James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy came to represent, and it’s a blatant statement of intent.” – Me

I could go on, but I think this is the only way you can process why it's not a good movie.

...you have developed such a victim response to a person (me) that when I mention another weird thing about the movie you still get your feelings hurt. This is bizarre, man.

36 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

sounds like this is a standard mcu movie 

They are the base model Honda Civic of movies. Well put together, reliable, consistent, but bland and boring.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

...you have developed such a victim response to a person (me) that when I mention another weird thing about the movie you still get your feelings hurt. This is bizarre, man.

Eh... We can psuedo psycho-analyze each other till the cows come home. But don't ever mistake that it's you who replies to my statements and opinions first and not the other way around.

People have opinions, and are entitled to them. Yet you have some odd need to always judge them for the worse in these forums...

Just now, IdeaOfEvil said:

Eh... We can psuedo psycho-analyze each other till the cows come home. But don't ever mistake that it's you who replies to my statements and opinions first and not the other way around.

People have opinions, and are entitled to them. Yet you have some odd need to always judge them for the worse in these forums...

I literally added another thing to your list of complaints and you read that as an attack on you. That is a you problem.

Just now, IdeaOfEvil said:

I mean, I'll be the adult here.

We're done. See you next movie review thread.

No, I really want to know how AGREEING with you is an attack on you. I legitimately do not understand your reaction to me agreeing with you :lol:

I'm still writing up more of my thoughts, but my overall impression is that it's a fine movie that gets worse the more I reflect on it. The action is passable but not exciting, the mysteries felt (mostly) obvious and unrewarding, but the real failure here is that Captain Marvel herself (btw, do they ever actually call her that?) is a nothing character. You can argue some of it is intentional, but even at the end she's just incredibly bland. I think this is the first MCU film since Hulk that I just don't want to spend more time with the character they're introducing. The first Thor wasn't great, I didn't think much of Ant-Man, and Dr. Strange felt a bit like an Iron Man retread, but as mediocre as those films were they furthered the core mission of the MCU films: to make you want more of it.

That brings me to the one truly good thing about this movie is Samuel L. Jackson. He's so fun to be around that you can put anyone in the car next to him unraveling the most boring of mysteries and it'll be entertaining to watch. The de-aging tech, while not new, continues to impress. I'm glad it seems he's the new father figure in the next Spider-man, because he's the one thing I wanted more of after this movie.

28 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Just saw it and I honestly don't get the hate.  It was entertaining with good action.  If you care about character development, good story, etc...you shouldn't be watching super hero movies in the first place.

Yeah it is too much to expect a good story. Lmao get out 

15 minutes ago, johnny said:

Yeah it is too much to expect a good story. Lmao get out 

Was it a bad story?  No

Was it oscar quality? No

Honestly, set your expectations for the type of movie you're watching.  Did John Wick have a good story? No

Having skipped over most of the convo in this thread I'm not sure why all the MAGA chuds were supposed to be upset but nothing in the movie seemed offensive to that world view.

Anyways...

I actually enjoyed this quite a bit more than I enjoy most Marvel movies. I wasn't familiar with Captain Marvel because my Marvel Comics knowledge is pretty much limited to X-Men. It reminded me of the first run of the current MCU--which I enjoy the most of all the saga--so I guess that's why I enjoyed it. I like a good origin story and I think Captain Marvel's is pretty cool. While most of the cast performed as well as any other Marvel movie I think this one leaned heavily on Sam Jackson and did so to great effect. And Ben Mendelsohn was great as always. The score was good. I think the effects in this installment are probably better than they've been in any other Marvel movie. I guess my only gripe is the typical superhero movie gripe of having a somewhat boring CG puncherific third act.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

They are the base model Honda Civic of movies. Well put together, reliable, consistent, but bland and boring.

And also... objectively what most people are looking for from a car / movie.

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

Did John Wick have a good story? No

Those beagle puppy murderers got off light. :|

2 hours ago, eggydoo said:

Just saw it and I honestly don't get the hate.  It was entertaining with good action.  If you care about character development, good story, etc...you shouldn't be watching super hero movies in the first place.

It has mostly boring action. Almost every action sequence is in an all too confining space. It even uses the mooooosssssstttttt boring set piece for an action sequence, the top of a train.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It has mostly boring action. Almost every action sequence is in an all too confining space. It even uses the mooooosssssstttttt boring set piece for an action sequence, the top of a train.

lol true.  If i had to nitpick, i'd prefer to see more space battles.

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

Was it a bad story?  No

Was it oscar quality? No

Honestly, set your expectations for the type of movie you're watching.  Did John Wick have a good story? No

It did. It was very simple but it told it effectively. Same thing with Mad Max Fury Road. I’m not demanding an Oscar quality script from every movie. Fuck I probably like Alita Battle Angel more than most on this board and its story is messy. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It doesn’t sound like something I should rush out to see. I’ve become less forgiving of Marvel’s blandness after Into the Spider-Verse.

6 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

It doesn’t sound like something I should rush out to see. I’ve become less forgiving of Marvel’s blandness after Into the Spider-Verse.

I think I have as well. Seeing what can be done with a character as iconic as Spider-Man...we need more of that. Unfortunately Marvel is really good at selling the slightly updated model each year.

It is also kind of amusing to me that upon the reunification of Spider-Man with Marvel Studios, Sony then creates in house the best comic book film of the decade.

Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It's not at the same level as Winter Soldier or Guardians, but I'd place it in the top half, and one of the better origin stories. Ben Mendelsohn was the highlight for me, but I look forward to seeing more of Carol Danvers in Endgame. There was a man sitting beside us who was a grump the whole movie and didn't laugh once. He got up and left as soon as it ended, and gave an audible groan at the "Protector's" moment at the end of the film. Even if you don't think this movie is great, I think it would be quite hard to argue that it's bad.