Captain Marvel Official Trailer

legend

Gotta ask everyone on their thoughts of Stan Lee’s cameo. He wasn’t playing anyone but himself reading the Mallrats script (which was awesome) So, how does he feel about his characters being real real in his world. Almost becomes a Deadpool breaking the 4th wall kind of moment

5 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Gotta ask everyone on their thoughts of Stan Lee’s cameo. He wasn’t playing anyone but himself reading the Mallrats script (which was awesome) So, how does he feel about his characters being real real in his world. Almost becomes a Deadpool breaking the 4th wall kind of moment

I thought it was awesome. It's just a cameo so it's nbd. Also, I love Mallrats. 

20 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Haven't seen it yet but Kevin Smith was having a moment about being made part of the movies he's been referencing all his life. 

I'll admit, the "heat" this movie was generating had an affect (although very little) on my theater experience, but once the movie started I was engaged. After the movie ended, I listened to what the audience thought, and it played very well with my crowd. 

Also, with the box office numbers coming in, and the Cinemascore sitting at an "A"; it goes to show how the internet is often a hypermarket for exaggeration. And that's regardless of your opinion of this movie, or any type of content/media.

3 hours ago, CBDemise said:

I'll admit, the "heat" this movie was generating had an affect (although very little) on my theater experience, but once the movie started I was engaged. After the movie ended, I listened to what the audience thought, and it played very well with my crowd. 

Also, with the box office numbers coming in, and the Cinemascore sitting at an "A"; it goes to show how the internet is often a hypermarket for exaggeration. And that's regardless of your opinion of this movie, or any type of content/media.

That was the case with Last Jedi, despite what whinny YouTube fans will say. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I can’t believe the internet is full of haters. Damn millennials ruining the internet. 

:]

Not ruining anything for me because I generally don't give a shit... I was commenting on the topic at hand.  What a bunch of faceless strangers think about a given piece of entertainment has absolutely no bearing on whether I myself enjoy it or not. I actually feel bad for those that it does matter to because they can find themselves missing out on a lot of good experiences. :peace:

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh don't even get me started with the videogame thing... according to the internet,  Anthem, Crackdown 3, Red Dead Redemption 2 and a bunch of other games are all unplayable trash.

RDR2 is unplayable trash though. Literally the most offensive game ever created. A harbinger of the end times. When the Leviathan raises from the sea he’ll be holding a copy of RDR2. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What about Chthulu? Did he help design the game?

Its possible. I did kind of feel like I was in a Lovecraftian tale while I was playing it. All these 10/10 reviews telling me how great it was while discovering it was in fact the work of the devil. Who was going crazy? Was it me? Was it everyone around me? I’m not crazy god damnit! I know I’m not!

• Haha 1

I went in with lowered expectations and left really enjoying it! I thought it was fun, I never felt like the movie was slow and I felt it was balanced between storytelling and action. I liked Carol and Fury a lot and loved the change to her original and the twist in the story. I'm even more pumped for EG now. :)

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not ruining anything for me because I generally don't give a shit... I was commenting on the topic at hand.  What a bunch of faceless strangers think about a given piece of entertainment has absolutely no bearing on whether I myself enjoy it or not. I actually feel bad for those that it does matter to because they can find themselves missing out on a lot of good experiences. :peace:

For me, the problem is, audience love things that I think would eventually lower standards, which in turn, affects me too. My issue with Marvel films is not that they are bad, they are not, but imo, they are good formulaic movies (sometimes great films). But because they are so successful, they are basically encourage all other studios to do the same thing. 

So instead of of more The Dark Knight or Logan, you get more Thors and Ant-Mans. That is great for everyone else, but sucks for me. 

4 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

For me, the problem is, audience love things that I think would eventually lower standards, which in turn, affects me too. My issue with Marvel films is not that they are bad, they are not, but imo, they are good formulaic movies (sometimes great films). But because they are so successful, they are basically encourage all other studios to do the same thing. 

So instead of of more The Dark Knight or Logan, you get more Thors and Ant-Mans. That is great for everyone else, but sucks for me. 

Except The Dark Knight and Logan were successful too so... those types of films will still be made. There's so much content being produced that there's something for everyone. There's more than enough content out there these days for folks to fund something that suits their tastes. The Marvel films won't threaten that so anyone worrying about that is looking for something to worry about in my opinion.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except The Dark Knight and Logan were successful too so... those types of films will still be made. There's so much content being produced that there's something for everyone. There's more than enough content out there these days for folks to fund something that suits their tastes. The Marvel films won't threaten that so anyone worrying about that is looking for something to worry about in my opinion.

I don't see a lot of those kind of films in the comic book world though. Which upcoming comic book film will be like The Dark Knight or Logan? The Joker and Dark Phoenix are the only 2 films that are possibly going for the more dramatic approach. Maybe The Black Widow film? There are like probably a dozen more comic book films for people who wants more Thor or Ant-Man.

1 minute ago, Dragonseeker said:

I don't see a lot of those kind of films in the comic book world though. Which upcoming comic book film will be like The Dark Knight or Logan? The Joker and Dark Phoenix are the only 2 films that are possibly going for the more dramatic approach. Maybe The Black Widow film? There are like probably a dozen more comic book films for people who wants more Thor or Ant-Man.

There's also Brightburn... but think of it like this, how many Dark Knights and Logan's were there before Dark Knight and Logan? Those films will always be exceptions to the rule because "adult" superhero films will always be hard to pull off. I would also argue that because of the current superhero boom that Marvel is largely responsible for, there's more of a chance that you'll see non traditional superhero films and shows. We already got Legion,  are getting Watchmen and The Boys on TV. There's also Morbius and the rumored Blade reboot... so yeah, there's plenty for everyone.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

If you wanna see it, I can give you a $15 Fandango code.

I'll pass, but thanks for the offer. I almost want to accept just because I can see a movie for free, but I really just don't have a strong desire to see it. I do for avengers, and maybe the next Dr. Strange(Strange was not that great, but I really like magic) but I'll probably just wait until I can watch it at home for everything else. And seriously, thanks for the offer. I'm grateful just for the fact you're offering.

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's also Brightburn... but think of it like this, how many Dark Knights and Logan's were there before Dark Knight and Logan? Those films will always be exceptions to the rule because "adult" superhero films will always be hard to pull off. I would also argue that because of the current superhero boom that Marvel is largely responsible for, there's more of a chance that you'll see non traditional superhero films and shows. We already got Legion,  are getting Watchmen and The Boys on TV. There's also Morbius and the rumored Blade reboot... so yeah, there's plenty for everyone.

Yeah, it is hard to write those films, and as long as people settled for "easy" films, there will be very little incentive for studios to make "hard" ones. Yes, Legion and Marvel shows on Netflix like Daredevil are great, but the freedom and the creativity on TV/Streaming do not crossover to films. I wish they do. As for Blade and Morbius, I am not convinced they are not just stylized Marvel films with darker skins like Venom was. I doubt those movies will actually reflect on society culturally/politically or touch on the nature of the human condition. Brightburn is interesting, but probably more horror than drama. 

51 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

Yeah, it is hard to write those films, and as long as people settled for "easy" films, there will be very little incentive for studios to make "hard" ones. Yes, Legion and Marvel shows on Netflix like Daredevil are great, but the freedom and the creativity on TV/Streaming do not crossover to films. I wish they do. As for Blade and Morbius, I am not convinced they are not just stylized Marvel films with darker skins like Venom was. I doubt those movies will actually reflect on society culturally/politically or touch on the nature of the human condition. Brightburn is interesting, but probably more horror than drama. 

And Dark Knight and Logan did :confused: Did we watch different movies? I loved both... they're my top two superhero films to date. But at the end of the day they are in fact, superhero films. I'm not sure exactly what it is you want that you think you won't get because of the success of the Marvel films but I hope you get it :peace:

13 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:

I think the problem isn't that the Marvel formula has been so successful, it's just distorted because Marvel has actually been good at making their type of film. The Dark Knight set a precedent that DC has been struggling to follow ever since. It was the template they used for their entire cinematic universe. They just weren't very good at making more movies like it. Hell, Nolan himself couldn't recapture that magic, what chance did Snyder really have?

8 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:

Hollywood studios trying to make easy money and not go for the hard gambles? That's unheard of in this industry.

That said, I don't think it can be stressed that what Marvel has managed to pull off with the MCU is far from easy. They've pulled off a seemingly impossible feat that no other major studio has been able to replicate. That even their worst movies are still entertainingly mediocre is a miracle.

That said, I enjoyed Captain Marvel. It was a fun movie and I have no real complaints. It's in the better half of the Marvel origin movies. There really isn't anything in the movie I'd call iconic, but it had a great twist that I wasn't at all expecting. I can't get mad at a Marvel film managing to surprise me. When does this hit streaming? I'd love to catch this again before End Game lands.

I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but rather than compare it to all superhero films, I think it's a more useful/interesting discussion to look at how it compares to other MCU origin story films (or other superhero origin story movies in general). Looking at it that way, how do people feel Captain Marvel compares? Here's all the MCU origin story films (and how I'd rank them personally from favorite to least favorite):

My Ranking:

-Iron Man 1

-Captain America: The First Avenger

-Black Panther

-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1

-Doctor Strange

-Spider-Man: Homecoming

-Ant-Man

-Thor

-The Incredible Hulk

None of these to me are downright amazing but most of them are actually good now that I reflect on them (though many of them are "same-y" in terms of plot and character structure), some great, and some mediocre. What are other peoples' lists and where does Captain Marvel fit in?