Southwest cancels 5,400 flights in a 'full-blown meltdown'

gettyimages-1346033668_wide-8bd9b0d82ec5
WWW.NPR.ORG

The disruptions add to chaos that has left people stranded at airports across the country, many of them with little idea of when they can get home or where their bags are.

Southwest canceled more than 2,870 flights by 8:25 p.m. ET Monday — at least 70% of its schedule for the day, according to flight tracker FlightAware. The disruptions add to chaos that has left people stranded at airports across the country, many of them with little idea of when they can get home or where their bags are.

The number of canceled flights for Southwest is more than 10 times higher than for Delta, which had the second-most cancelations by a U.S. airline with 265 flights called off. Other airlines have also ordered large-scale cancellations in the past week

The closest airport to me is basically a Southwest hub, so most of the folks I know tend to fly SWA. Noticed a few social media posts complaining about their flights being cancelled and had no idea it was this bad 😳

• Jason changed the title to Southwest cancels 5,400 flights in a 'full-blown meltdown'
56 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I read on Reddit (take with a grain of salt) that Southwest entire internal network of apps is down so they have no way of scheduling and coordinating pilots and staff right now. They are having to resort to phone numbers on file to contact employees.

I asked my brother about it, his previous firm did a ton of work on this stuff as SWA revamped their entire software platform from

booking to scheduling to bag handling.

680-E3535-3-FD6-4927-A72-F-108-B67-D3-B1-EF

And I know I’ve told this story before, but the entire reason for SWA’s “bags fly free” thing was their systems literally could not handle charging for bags at the terminal. That was the only reason they didn’t charge for bags, and so they turned it into marketing 😂

While the apparent internal systems collapse within SWA has undoubtedly been the main cause of the situation, the airline's "point-to-point" system is also a contributing factor as they simply don't have the same amount of reserve crews available at any location relative to those available for the "hub and spoke" model used by other carriers and therefore have much less built-in slack/flexibility to account for these types of events.

• Halal 1

Hanging out with a friend last night who works for Southwest and just got back to LA the night before after being stranded in Oakland for three days. I have no idea how Southwest recovers from this... He was being paid triple time for 72 hours because he was on the clock sitting in an airport break room. HUNDREDS of Southwest Employees were in the same situation. Between this and all of the reimbursements and law suits this airline is going to face I don't know how this airline survives. 

28 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hanging out with a friend last night who works for Southwest and just got back to LA the night before after being stranded in Oakland for three days. I have no idea how Southwest recovers from this... He was being paid triple time for 72 hours because he was on the clock sitting in an airport break room. HUNDREDS of Southwest Employees were in the same situation. Between this and all of the reimbursements and law suits this airline is going to face I don't know how this airline survives. 

Eh. Their last financial statement listed $10B in cash as of the end of September. They'll be fine.

I don't envy the people that will have to clean up this mess.

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

No way in hell a train could've gotten us from Vegas to central Washington in less time than it took to drive, and certainly many times slower than flying, even with a layover at SeaTac.

Sure. 

But I shouldn't need to fly from Nashville to Atlanta ever.