Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - "Inside ‘Across the Spider-Verse’: Last Minute [redacted], Major Rewrites and Setting Up the Final Film" (Variety)

2 hours ago, ort said:

I warned my 10 yo about the ending and it still pissed him off. His exact quote was... "That wasn't a cliff hanger, it was a mount Everest hanger".

He really liked everything but the ending, which he really really did not like. I don't think kids these days like cliff hangers...

I thought the ending was great. I'm a sucker for a good cliff hanger... I thought the whole movie was great. I think the first one was better overall, but this is a worthy follow-up which is saying a lot, since the first was one of the best movies in recent memory.

I can understand not liking cliffhangers but at least the wait is less than a year this time around 

Yeah, a year still feels like a really long time when you are 10.

I think I've come around to the weird truth that the anticipation is usually just as much fun as the thing you are waiting for. I also think that may be why I like TV more, because I LOVE it when a show ends and you are like... UGH! I want the next one now!!! And then you have to wait a week... that's actually a great feeling.

1 minute ago, ort said:

Yeah, a year still feels like a really long time when you are 10.

I think I've come around to the weird truth that the anticipation is usually just as much fun as the thing you are waiting for. I also think that may be why I like TV more, because I LOVE it when a show ends and you are lot, UGH! I want the next one now!!! And then you have to wait a week... that's actually a great feeling.

Reminds me of the mid season finale of the final season of Bojack.

Me and my buddy went out and saw it on a LieMax screen this afternoon. Fuck is it one gorgeous looking movie and loved seeing the water colouring running down the screen when we are with Gwen. Loved the cameos and all the little jokes in on itself. The ending got a few “Oh come on!” Little kid “What the hell dad? Is that it?” It was really getting good too, but I’m ok with the breakup. You know I’m a fan of 3D and really wish this got a 3D release like the first one did. Fuck there are so many scenes (to me) that just screamed out 3D moment. Now my spoil comments

Spoiler
  • Seeing Glover as a variant of The Prowler was great. Love to see him maybe let go and lead into Spider-Man 4 with Tom Holland. Maybe became The Prowler after losing family in the snap
  • that classic Spider-Man swinging moment :lol:
  • loved the twist in the end on being on the wrong planet but I had a feeling he was from the rain looking slightly altered to his world
  • J.K. Simmons still voicing J.J.J. was great
  • never saw Holland but cool seeing Garfield/McGuire and Lego Spider-Man 
  • can’t believe I have to edit this because I forgot the greatness that was making The Spot the guy who was bonked by his bagel. :lol:

Overall I’m like a 3.5/5 rating wise, and pretty much what I thought of the first movie after my first viewing. That rating is now a 4.5/5 after multiple viewings since it’s theatrical release. There is just so much to take in and unpack, but I can’t wait to see this again at home.

SV2_mpp0420.1010_RT_sb_v1-copy.jpg?w=100
VARIETY.COM

"Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse" directors Kemp Powers, Joaquim Dos Santos and Justin K. Thompson discuss the ending, live-action cameos and planning for the final film.

For months, the directors of “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” had been working exhaustively on a critical sequence that launches the movie’s second act. For the first time in his life, the animated film’s hero — Miles Morales (Shameik Moore), a.k.a. the Spider-Man of Earth-1610 — enters a different dimension: Earth-50101, a.k.a. Mumbattan, a dazzling amalgamation of New York City and Mumbai. Within minutes, Miles and his BFF from 2018’s “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” Gwen Stacy (Hailee Steinfeld), encounter that world’s Spider-Man, Pavitr Prabhakar (Karan Soni), an Indian teenager who received his powers not via spider bite, but through magic. The sequence launches them all through the vertiginously vertical metropolis, as they frantically try to stop the film’s villain, the Spot (Jason Schwartzman), from using Mumbattan’s supercollider to increase his dimension-hopping abilities.

“We had worked on that sequence for a while, and we finally got it to a place where logically and from a staging perspective, it was doing all the things,” says Joaquim Dos Santos, who directed “Across the Spider-Verse” along with Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson. But as the directors watched the semi-finished sequence unfold with producers and screenwriters

Christopher Miller and Phil Lord (who wrote the script with David Callaham), something wasn’t quite working.

“It was like, ‘Why is this just a wet blanket right now?’” Dos Santos recalls. “‘It gets really crazy here — but we’re not connected to the story.’”

Then the directors got an email from some Indian members of the animation team based at Sony Pictures Imageworks in Vancouver, who told them that Pavitr, the emotional anchor of the sequence, “doesn’t feel authentic,” as Powers recalls. “He doesn’t feel aspirational.”

Even though the sequence was, Powers says, “already quite far along in the production process,” the filmmaking team halted work on it. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - "Inside ‘Across the Spider-Verse’: Last Minute [redacted], Major Rewrites and Setting Up the Final Film" (Variety)

@sblfilms

Thought this might be of interest to you:

across-the-spider-verse-score.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

Sony is reportedly sending out a new version of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse with improved sound mixing to theaters.

According to Cryptic HD QUALITY -- a Twitter account that generally posts scoops regarding 4K content, as well as film and television runtimes -- a new version of Across the Spider-Verse with "better sound mixing" will be sent to theaters this Friday, June 9. In a follow-up tweet, they clarified that theaters have received emails stating that the new digital cinema packages will be sent out on Friday, though some audiences may have to wait a few days to see the updated version, since not every theater will have it immediately. "Sony has listened and has been fixing the issue," they wrote.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@sblfilms

Thought this might be of interest to you:

across-the-spider-verse-score.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

Sony is reportedly sending out a new version of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse with improved sound mixing to theaters.

Yeah, we received the drives on Wednesday 

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Didn't notice any audio issues...

It was mostly creative choices, IMO. The movie has an incredibly dynamic mix. Room EQ differences likely made up a lot of the complaints. They brought up the dialogue a little bit in a few spots to compensate for these variances.

I thought it was just me, especially in the beginning of the movie I was having a hard time with the dialogue. 

Took my son yesterday for his 1st grade graduation and we LOVED it. It was so good. Can't wait to see it again and for the next movie. 

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I had some trouble hearing the very beginning opening with Gwen speaking over the drum solo, but after that I didn’t have any problems.

The drums were subdued enough to hear Gwen, but overall she was still a touch quiet. I can totally see a packed room with people munching popcorn or eating candy being a problem though. 

After seeing it a second time I don't know if it's "technically" better than the first, but I do like it more. But I could be biased because I caught two references to the Spectacular Spider-Man series, which is one of the greatest animated shows of all time - certainly the best Spider-Man series ever. 

One reference I don't think they did was to the 90s animated series. Was there one? It would be sick if...(funny speculation incoming)

Spoiler

The REAL cause of the anomalies was the 90s Peter Parker and Madame Web jumping through dimensions trying to find and rescue MJ, resolving a 30 year cliffhanger.

• True 1

Went to see it yesterday and it was amazing. My biggest complaint is that all the premium theaters around here moved to Transformers before I got back from vacation.

I knew they'd push the bounds on stylistic animation, but I wasn't prepared for quite how hard they'd go. They really decided there would be no rules and did whatever the hell they wanted (or at least they made their own rules). Probably the most visually interesting and exciting animated film I've ever seen, and absolutely the top of the heap when it comes to computer animation (where its only real challenger was the first film).

In terms of story, I think it does a pretty good job. It's hard to evaluate half a film, which this is much more than any other "part 1" I can think of, but one thing it doesn't do is waste time. Character work is unrelenting, comedic bits come back as important plot points, exposition is fast and fun. I want to watch it a few more times not only to catch all the fun visuals I certainly missed, but also to see what character or story I might have missed while trying to take it all in.

Spoiler

It was kind of a bold move to open the film with Gwen, though I think the pacing works out well that way. I also really liked the soft, watercolor ascetic used for her universe.

When we do get to Miles, they do such a good job of re-hashing classic Spider-man beats without it feeling onerous or even obvious. Spider-man struggles with his secret life, he can't focus on school, his family worries about him but he can't explain, he pines for a girl he can't have, all while he's growing accustomed to his powers and his role as the city's protector. It's all so very Spider-man 2 in a way that Into the Spider-Verse desperately tried not to be Spider-man 1. Which is a great foundation that needs to be set in order for the real twist of the story to work.

It is such a Lord and Miller thing to decide that the real villain in this film is the guy trying to enforce what is canon and what isn't. It's a great way to be meta and to really utilize the multiverse setting they've created. It also feels particularly fitting for this to be Miles' story, which is by far the highest profile not-Peter-Parker spidey to date. It also largely works because we've just spent enough time with Miles playing out a "normal Spider-man story" to feel like that's the way it needs to play out.

I'm honestly not sure the ending was supposed to be a surprise. I thought they pretty clearly showed him going to the wrong universe, and at that point had hammered home the idea that universe 42 was not where he came from and that's where the machine sent him to. Still, half way through his "I'm Spider-man" speech I'd kinda forgotten until Rio started talking.

For a bit I thought we were going to see Gwen decide to stay and protect Miles' dad to set up Miles to be the one who puts the team together in Part 2, but it seems they're not wasting any time with the "lets assemble the team" stuff, which is probably for the best.

The only real negative thing I have to say about this half of the story is that they end up making a pretty clear case for why Spider-man is necessary by showing universe 42, but we only briefly touch on Spider-people being in their own universes. It seems like Gwen hasn't been home for months. That could well be part of the conclusion, but they also might just look past it.

Anyways, a fantastic follow-up to an awesome first film. Sony handing live action Spidey over to Marvel and being able to put all their focus on this is such a blessing. If Spider-Verse 3 can really come out in less than a year and maintain this quality, that'll be an accomplishment to remember.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2023 at 1:38 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I saw this the other day and it was amazing. A friend of mine said that this was this series' Empire Strikes Back. I think that's a great description. This movie was so good that I'm definitely buying it and the first on Blu-Ray. Amazing, amazing movie.

Hopefully that doesn't mean the third one has ewoks. 

On 8/8/2023 at 3:22 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

It's out at home now. Definitely has the new sound mix. I'm probably going to watch this at least once a day for the foreseeable future.

I watched the first 30 min with my son tonight and like everything I watch digitally on Amazon, I have to crank the volume way up to hear voices, and way down for the action. Nothing new there though.

4 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I watched the first 30 min with my son tonight and like everything I watch digitally on Amazon, I have to crank the volume way up to hear voices, and way down for the action. Nothing new there though.

Amazon app does indeed suck and I have to do that for everything through that platform. However it sounded fine through Plex.

Still couldn't understand half of what Hobie said, even with subtitles :o 

On 8/12/2023 at 1:08 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

Amazon app does indeed suck and I have to do that for everything through that platform. However it sounded fine through Plex.

Still couldn't understand half of what Hobie said, even with subtitles :o 

I have a different problem with the Amazon app. I often have to turn HDR off on my Xbox or the entire app flickers, audio and video. It’s the only thing on my Xbox that does this. 

anyways I really liked the movie. Not crazy about how it ended, but I love the heart these movies have. 

I also finally got to watch it. Fantastic. This is shaping up to be one of the best superhero trilogies. Every aspect of it is good. The core narrative is good, the meta narrative around it, the art direction (my god this must have been a bitch to animate), the voice acting, the music. They are just crushing it with this series.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 8:52 PM, EternallDarkness said:

I can understand not liking cliffhangers but at least the wait is less than a year this time around 

Across-the-Spider-Verse-and-Kraven-The-H
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Sony made a slew of changes to its upcoming release calendar, including pushing back next month's 'Gran Turismo' as it tries to build buzz without the cast via nationwide sneaks. Separately, 'Bad Boys 4' and 'Venom 3' get release dates.

• 7 months later...