Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

4 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

I don't think horror is defined by whether somebody finds something scary, which is extremely inconsistent and subjective; to me it's about the macabre subject matter and deriving tension from a fear of death, so all RE games are horror.

Interesting, but for me the second is just as inconsistent as the first. There was never any fear of death at all for me in RE4, that's for sure. Oh no! A game over screen! I don't think I was ever nearly as immersed in it as you, it was a cheesy action game for me from day 1. There's also the issue with macabre itself being defined as being basically "horror (mainly from death and injury)" which is, in this context, just saying horror with an extra definitional layer.

I dunno, it's definitely all quite subjective, not helped at all by horror movies often being quite intentionally campy, meaning even the tone is up for grabs. What I will say is that if I was asking for a good horror game and had never played RE4, and was subsequently recommended RE4. I'd probably beat it and love it, but I would never, ever ask that person for horror recommendations again.

In the end, it really doesn't matter, it's just a label, but I do think when labels expand too much they become much less useful for conversational shorthand, and we humans love categorizing things!

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Invite me to your house the next time you play RE4 I'll hold a knife to your throat and when you die in the game I'll slash it so you'll have a fear of death. Now it's a horror game!

Only if you promise to find my ballistics!

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Invite me to your house the next time you play RE4 I'll hold a knife to your throat and when you die in the game I'll slash it so you'll have a fear of death. Now it's a horror game!

I mean, that doesn't really change how scary the game is btw tbqh.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Interesting, but for me the second is just as inconsistent as the first. There was never any fear of death at all for me in RE4, that's for sure. Oh no! A game over screen! I don't think I was ever nearly as immersed in it as you, it was a cheesy action game for me from day 1. There's also the issue with macabre itself being defined as being basically "horror (mainly from death and injury)" which is, in this context, just saying horror with an extra definitional layer.

I dunno, it's definitely all quite subjective, not helped at all by horror movies often being quite intentionally campy, meaning even the tone is up for grabs. What I will say is that if I was asking for a good horror game and had never played RE4, and was subsequently recommended RE4. I'd probably beat it and love it, but I would never, ever ask that person for horror recommendations again.

In the end, it really doesn't matter, it's just a label, but I do think when labels expand too much they become much less useful for conversational shorthand, and we humans love categorizing things!

Well, you got me there because I didn't realize what the definition of "macabre" was.  But I still think that works; if something is overwhelmingly macabre, no matter the tone I would still at least consider it "horror" of some sort.  Shaun of the Dead isn't scary at all, but I would still call it a horror-comedy, rather than a comedy, for example.  But then you have the case of things that are scary that don't have what I would consider horror elements.  Watching Mulholland Drive for the first time is legitimately the most unnerved I've ever been watching a movie because the tone is so masterful, but it's definitely not horror.

For games, I had to put down Alien Isolation because it was so effectively terrifying and stressful.  Not that it really relates here, but just to recognize how intense I found that game.

I understand your point about categories, but not calling RE4 at the very least action-horror wouldn't make sense to me regardless of scares.

• True 2

On 6/2/2022 at 3:24 PM, best3444 said:

It's going to be awesome but way too far out to even think about it.

You made it this far, you can make it the last 3days!! LOL

So excited to play this on the 83" LGC1 in 7.2.4 dolby atmos surround sound! This and Diablo 4 will keep me happy for a very long time!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

What platform are ya’ll getting this on? My pc’s performance with it is just inconsistent enough that it gives me pause. 

PC, I was thoroughly unimpressed with how it ran and looked on PS5. (Although seeing footage of the PS4 version still chuggin' along and looking mostly comparable was impressive!)

I only got a 1070 but I'm still getting it on PC. I'll just play in 1080p or interlaced lol. The coloring of the game was still better on PC even after fixing my ps5 and KB+M feels so much better since you can now move and shoot and you don't have the red dot sight right off the bat.

Yeah, i'm going to play on PC, but I'll definitely rebuy it on PS5 when they drop the VR edition or it's half price, whatever comes first. Just way too much to give up playing it on console after playing the demo on both. 

I picked it up tonight on GMG, saved a few dollars, very much looking forward to Friday. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I only got a 1070 but I'm still getting it on PC. I'll just play in 1080p or interlaced lol. The coloring of the game was still better on PC even after fixing my ps5 and KB+M feels so much better since you can now move and shoot and you don't have the red dot sight right off the bat.

Yeah I felt the PS5 version was a little underwhelming as well. The DF breakdown is good as always. It’ll pry be a game time decision for me. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah I felt the PS5 version was a little underwhelming as well. The DF breakdown is good as always. It’ll pry be a game time decision for me. 

What did DF say about console versions? I prefer my PS5 over my XSX for a few reasons. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

What did DF say about console versions? I prefer my PS5 over my XSX for a few reasons. 

IIRC the series X looks a bit better but it has an odd delay in the controls which they said really negatively affected their view of that version. The PS5 version looks a little muddier but plays fine depending on what settings you want. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie Since everyone here doesn't think RE4 is a horror game, will you be picking this up? It's scary but according to everyone here it's an action game. 

It's definitely Action in a horror setting. There is no "survival" in it whatsoever, either. 4 was absolutely chock full with ammo and herbs. It has the trappings of horror, but they are correct in that it isn't scary. 

• Halal 1

Just now, BloodyHell said:

It's definitely Action in a horror setting. There is no "survival" in it whatsoever, either. 4 was absolutely chock full with ammo and herbs. It has the trappings of horror, but they are correct in that it isn't scary. 

The village section is scary to me. It's definitely horror for me. I mean I don't technically get "scared" but maybe pretty tense playing it? I was kinda joking anyway and I cannot wait to fire this up Friday morning. I took the day off. :angry-fap-small:

43 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I'd argue that the Remake is definitely "scarier" than the OG.

On 3/21/2023 at 6:39 AM, Paperclyp said:

What platform are ya’ll getting this on? My pc’s performance with it is just inconsistent enough that it gives me pause. 

I'm kinda torn!! I have all the Resident Evil games on PC. Actually there all on the Steamdeck as a collection. RE0-8 I replayed the newest version of 4 in January this year and loved it in preparation to getting this.

My PC is in the game room along with my PS5 right now hooked up to a LGCX 65" Oled and a decent sound system but not like my Home theater SVS 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos set up along with the LGC1 83" Oled. I have the Xbox Series X out there too. I'll be building my Dream PC whenever the 50 series RTX cards are released. Just gonna do it, pull the trigger on a 5090 and retire this 2080Ti / I7 9700k system that has performed so much better than I had ever imagined really. So probably getting Resident evil 4: Re-Remake on Series X. I'll be buying Diablo 4 on PC for sure though! Still prefer playing on PC. Pretty excited for RE4 and Diablo IV. Two HUGE releases back to back. Haven't spent full price on any games this year yet and that's saying something!

23 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

PC, I was thoroughly unimpressed with how it ran and looked on PS5. (Although seeing footage of the PS4 version still chuggin' along and looking mostly comparable was impressive!)

Resident Evil 4: remake is $45.49 on CDKeys.com for the Steam version, Now the choice is even harder. $45 bucks on an "OK" PC / 65" LGCX & decent 5.1 surround sound or $60/70 bucks on Series X 83" LGC1 $ AMAZING 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos Surround system? :hmm:

13_4__1.jpg
WWW.CDKEYS.COM

Buy Resident Evil 4 PC ✔️ CD Key ✔️ Instant download ✔️ Fantastic price ✔️ Digital Download ✔️

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What does DLSS do?

Short answer: it's an image upscaler.

Slightly longer answer:

Rendering 4K images is taxing on GPUs.

DLSS renders the game at a lower resolution and using Deep Neural Networks up-scales the lower res image to 4K. The deep net has been trained on a lot and lots of images and so it's quite good at guessing what the additional pixels should be. Ultimately, you get a 4K image that looks quite close to as if it was rendered at 4K, but the whole process is much less taxing on the GPU. That translates into 4K gameplay with high frame rates.

• Thanks 1