Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

• Brian changed the title to Hogwarts Legacy - Extended First Look - Releases Holiday 2022

I think people should feel free to buy/play what they want, I wouldn’t judge anyone for getting this. Idk even if I’ll skip it personally, might use a less reputable key site than normal.

But also capitalism isn’t an excuse to absolve someone like her of criticism. People can enjoy the game but at the same time she should still be rightly criticized any time there is a new product that she will in some way benefit from. Perhaps, if it appears to cause some damage to a brand when influential people make horrible statements as she does, then influential people will be less likely to spread dangerous ideas to their followers in the future.

20 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

"Separating art from the artist isn’t a virtue or something to brag about. It just speaks to your ability to close your eyes and ignore the actual real-world harm a living, benefiting person receives from your silence and compliance."

God I can't stand statements like this. Separating the art from the artist is about criticizing art based on its own merit. It does not mean you need to support an artist you find deplorable because they make "good" art.

I can do more to separate the art from the artist with long dead people who are no longer profiting from their works. Like Edgar Allan Poe for example.

Again, I'm not going to criticize anyone for buying and enjoying the game. It's just a personal decision for me, as I have strong feelings regarding the LGBT community. I know there are a lot of deplorable people out there and I technically support them buy buying products and just participating in society in general. But I really feel strongly about the damage she's doing with her statements and it doesn't bother me one bit to not actively support her and buy some things used.

• True 1

7 hours ago, Moa said:

"Separating art from the artist isn’t a virtue or something to brag about. It just speaks to your ability to close your eyes and ignore the actual real-world harm a living, benefiting person receives from your silence and compliance."

God I can't stand statements like this. Separating the art from the artist is about criticizing art based on its own merit. It does not mean you need to support an artist you find deplorable because they make "good" art.

And Imrahn works for a Tencent owned company, which is basically an extension of the CCP, which also uses Uiguhr (spelling?) Slave labor.

• 4 weeks later...

All this boycotting would make a lot more sense if she was directly involved in making the game like if she wrote the story or was giving creative input or something but as far as I can tell she has nothing to do with the game and will at best, get some royalties or something when she's already fantastically wealthy. You're just punishing the developers who look like they are creating a good game and have worked on making inclusivity part of the game. Boycotting this game to support trans rights is like pissing into the ocean hoping to turn the water green. 

I don't give two flying shits about Harry Potter but the game looks good and I might buy it just to spite all the morons boycotting it. If I boycotted every company that supported something I don't agree with I'd probably have to go be Amish or something. 

10 minutes ago, Dodger said:

All this boycotting would make a lot more sense if she was directly involved in making the game like if she wrote the story or was giving creative input or something but as far as I can tell she has nothing to do with the game and will at best, get some royalties or something when she's already fantastically wealthy. You're just punishing the developers who look like they are creating a good game and have worked on making inclusivity part of the game. Boycotting this game to support trans rights is like pissing into the ocean hoping to turn the water green. 

I don't give two flying shits about Harry Potter but the game looks good and I might buy it just to spite all the morons boycotting it. If I boycotted every company that supported something I don't agree with I'd probably have to go be Amish or something. 

Buying it just because people are boycotting it is doing the same thing they are doing except your outrage is at people who are upset over JK Rowling being a terf instead of being upset that JK Rowling is a terf itself. 

That’s when this all gets weird for me, how people get mad that people are mad at the bad thing but not the bad thing itself.

I mean buy it or don’t, I don’t care, but being upset that other people won’t buy it..that just sounds like priorities are all mixed up. 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Buying it just because people are boycotting it is doing the same thing they are doing except your outrage is at people who are upset over JK Rowling being a terf instead of being upset that JK Rowling is a terf itself. 

That’s when this all gets weird for me, how people get mad that people are mad at the bad thing but not the bad thing itself.

I mean buy it or don’t, I don’t care, but being upset that other people won’t buy it..that just sounds like priorities are all mixed up. 

Like I said, she barely has anything to do with the game other than getting some royalties. She's not writing the story, she's not a creative director or giving creative input. It's the developers who will suffer due to any boycott and from what I've heard they are making the game fairly trans inclusive. 

The game would just have to be a great game that happens to be a Harry Potter for me to buy it. Like those Shadow of Mordor games, because i don't care about Lord of the Rings either, but the games were still fun. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They're not getting punished. They get paid. It's not like they work for free until the time the game gets released.

But the better game does, the better it will be for their careers. I mean it doesn't really matter, game will probably be successful regardless unless it just sucks. 

Just now, Dodger said:

Like I said, she barely has anything to do with the game other than getting some royalties. She's not writing the story, she's not a creative director or giving creative input. It's the developers who will suffer due to any boycott and from what I've heard they are making the game fairly trans inclusive. 

The game would just have to be a great game that happens to be a Harry Potter for me to buy it. Like those Shadow of Mordor games, because i don't care about Lord of the Rings either, but the games were still fun. 

Yeah but at best you have an argument that their protest is misguided even if the cause is just.

Though not wanting any of your money going to her is reasonable enough I think, even if it’s a very small portion. You can get into the “no individual vote matters” mindset but perhaps if enough people are vocal and refuse to provide money to anything associated with her, then that removes some of the power her words currently have to try to diminish trans people.

I think spite towards people whose method of protest isn’t impacting enough for your taste could be better used for the person they are protesting. And that’s probably what some of the people boycotting it are doing, not buying it to spite her. Buying it doesn’t make the lives of the people who are not buying it any worse or spite them in anyway, so I definitely fail to see the purpose of buying it out of spite. 

33 minutes ago, Dodger said:

But the better game does, the better it will be for their careers. I mean it doesn't really matter, game will probably be successful regardless unless it just sucks. 

The notion that we most consume something that has a shitty creator associated with it because the people that work to support that IP aren’t shitty is a lousy take. I absolutely appreciate that there are almost certainly incentives tied to the game’s critical and commercial performance but that isn’t a compelling enough reason to continue to chuck money at JKR.

And this is videogames man, you’ve got options. If someone is starving and they get offered Chick-Fli-A, they should eat the damn chicken. There’s no shortage of good YA IPs, there’s no shortage of good videogames coming out.

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Just having on your resume you completed and shipped a game is good enough to get you a job anywhere.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Edit: And again, buy what you want! But I think you should also let people not buy what they want. It should go both ways.

I have a question. If you could stop this game from coming out just by pressing a button, would you do it? 

Spoiler

I had this after "would you do it", but not sure if I should leave it in so I'm leaving it in but in spoiler tags Anyway:

Would you do it knowing how many people love the IP and for some people this might be the only thing they have to look forward to?

For the record, I have little interest in HP and I probably won't get the game. Also not a fan of prequels. 

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I have a question. If you could stop this game from coming out just by pressing a button, would you do it? 

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

For the record, I have little interest in HP and I probably won't get the game. Also not a fan of prequels. 

Probably not because that would be weird, I could see doing that if she was directly involved but she isn’t. People being loud about their stance against her in contrast to a game people otherwise want is good and raises awareness, but I’m not one to deny what other people want to play either.

Also I think I posted above, I’ll probably get it on cdkeys :P 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah but at best you have an argument that their protest is misguided even if the cause is just.

Though not wanting any of your money going to her is reasonable enough I think, even if it’s a very small portion. You can get into the “no individual vote matters” mindset but perhaps if enough people are vocal and refuse to provide money to anything associated with her, then that removes some of the power her words currently have to try to diminish trans people.

I think spite towards people whose method of protest isn’t impacting enough for your taste could be better used for the person they are protesting. And that’s probably what some of the people boycotting it are doing, not buying it to spite her. Buying it doesn’t make the lives of the people who are not buying it any worse or spite them in anyway, so I definitely fail to see the purpose of buying it out of spite. 

I think the reaction is mostly towards those like @Kal-El814who aren’t just saying “I’m going to skip this because I don’t personally want to support JKR in anyway”, but who are implicitly critical of those who want to buy the game as though they are complicit in whatever ills she has done.

But Dodger’s response is indeed just the other side of that same coin. Maybe we can all just buy whatever products or services we want and everybody can keep their opinions about that to themselves :p 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I think the reaction is mostly towards those like @Kal-El814who aren’t just saying “I’m going to skip this because I don’t personally want to support JKR in anyway”, but who are implicitly critical of those who want to buy the game as though they are complicit in whatever ills she has done.

But Dodger’s response is indeed just the other side of that same coin. Maybe we can all just buy whatever products or services we want and everybody can keep their opinions about that to themselves :p 

I don’t think Kal (correct me if wrong, Kal) was full on going that angle, I think it was more just a dig at her phrased that way. But I don’t think anyone here is really out there saying you are fucking scum if you buy this. Even on resetera there is pushback on that and they are pure 100% unfiltered performative outrage. 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t think Kal (correct me if wrong, Kal) was full on going that angle, I think it was more just a dig at her phrased that way. But I don’t think anyone here is really out there saying you are fucking scum if you buy this. Even on resetera there is pushback on that and they are pure 100% unfiltered performative outrage. 

I know he is being cheeky, but that’s because I get him. I think that just is what people are often reacting to. Who knows!

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Again I make no claims about logical consistency here. As I've said, Ubisoft absolutely sucks and I'll buy the next Assassin's Creed game. Maybe it's because it's easier with the Potter IP because JKR is a more singular figure and it feels like there's one throat to choke even though that's not true? Maybe if the AC franchise was made by Mr. Assassin Q Creed who slagged trans people I'd find myself compelled to not buy the games? Or maybe it's because JKR is "loud" about her terfness and Ubisoft leadership at least outwardly condemns their own shiftiness to some lousy, mealy-mouthed extent? Or maybe it's because I don't think anyone is looking at the shit that happens at Ubisoft and saying the leadership there might have a point? Or maybe, embarrassingly enough, one person being an open terf upsets me more than a company cultivating a culture of abuse? I don't know, I haven't interrogated it thoroughly. I'm just riding my vibes.

And not to pick on Dodger, but the "for every burger vegans don't eat, I'll eat two!" perspective is dumb.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Maybe it's because it's easier with the Potter IP because JKR is a more singular figure and it feels like there's one throat to choke even though that's not true? Maybe if the AC franchise was made by Mr. Assassin Q Creed who slagged trans people I'd find myself compelled to not buy the games? Or maybe it's because JKR is "loud" about her terfness and Ubisoft leadership at least outwardly condemns their own shiftiness to some lousy, mealy-mouthed extent? Or maybe it's because I don't think anyone is looking at the shit that happens at Ubisoft and saying the leadership there might have a point?

You don't want to choke this guy?

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You don't want to choke this guy?

spacer.png

The only villains in games whose names I can freely recall are David Cage and Bobby Kotick. If I saw Yves' name I'd remember he was the Ubisoft guy, if you'd asked me who the Ubisoft guy was without priming me first, I couldn't come up with Yves.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hogwarts Legacy (Holiday 2022) - "Next Gen Immersion Trailer" (PS5)