Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion, update: deal has officially closed

CitizenVectron

43 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As I've stated repeatedly in this thread :p

(a) acquisition of a top-tier FPS developer

(b) acquisition of live-service game expertise

I get all that but I feel like I’m still missing something. What’s the point of having a top-tier FPS developer if it isn’t exclusive to your console? Like I guess they think they can make bigger games jointly with Bungie than Bungie would be able to by itself?

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I get all that but I feel like I’m still missing something. What’s the point of having a top-tier FPS developer if it isn’t exclusive to your console? Like I guess they think they can make bigger games jointly with Bungie than Bungie would be able to by itself?

At this point, you should only assume that Destiny will remain multiplatform.

Anything else is fair game for exclusivity.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I question this move exactly how you're stating it. 

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As I've stated repeatedly in this thread :p

(a) acquisition of a top-tier FPS developer

(b) acquisition of live-service game expertise

Personally I don’t think Bungie has enough of either of those things to justify the price tag.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Bungie makes money

Bungie is really good at making the type of games that millions love to play 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

At this point, you should only assume that Destiny will remain multiplatform.

Anything else is fair game for exclusivity.

Ah ok. I took it to mean all their future releases would remain multiplatform.

40 minutes ago, ARZ said:

Sorry man, but Reach was the one of the best Halo games

Reach is shit and was the start of the end. It was the CoD-ification of the series. If you are talking about Single Player then that's fine, but when I talk of Halo it is about the MP. Reach was bad. The Maps were bad. The new weapons were bad. All of the armor abilities, including sprint, were bad.  

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I bet From is next. 

At this point, I think the only game companies not on the market are EA and Take-Two because they're too valuable. And Nintendo, I suppose. The market cap of Square Enix, Sega, and Ubisoft are less than what Microsoft paid for Bethesda.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Reading this thread is like watching the 

“are you serious? I literally just told you.” Scene from Zoolander on repeat. 

Some of you are dense af 😂

Sony said they would remain multiplatform so I think it’s fair to be perplexed. Maybe I’m underestimating what Bungie can bring to the table in terms of online services, I dunno.

Hey I'm going to hijack this—is Destiny 2 any good right now for a casual player? I really enjoyed it at launch and completed the areas, etc, but the loop got boring afterwards when it became a grind. I stopped playing when DLC started coming out. Is it worth jumping back into with the new DLC, perhaps? Honestly I'm just looking to get 20-30 hours out of it.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I bet From is next. 

I don’t see it. Why the IP has some value for sure, the real asset is Hidetaka Miyazaki. I think it is more likely for Sony to suggest Miyazaki to start his own studio and Sony will offer him support like they did with Kojima and Jade Raymond. 

• True 1

Microsoft has shown they believe very firmly in a multi platform or even platform-less future for gaming. Between their commitment to the PC, the way they’ve handled Minecraft, and their push for XCloud, it’s safe to say they are ready for the business model of gaming platforms to evolve beyond the sale of hardware and game publishing fees.

I’m not yet convinced Sony believes in the same future that Microsoft does. It strikes me as a bit surprising that Sony would go from releasing a few PC games years after those games arrived on PlayStation to embracing a multi platform strategy in nearly the same way that MS or Bungie does. Maybe Bungie is a hedge, maybe it’s a long play for a distant future, or maybe it’s something else.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hey I'm going to hijack this—is Destiny 2 any good right now for a casual player? I really enjoyed it at launch and completed the areas, etc, but the loop got boring afterwards when it became a grind. I stopped playing when DLC started coming out. Is it worth jumping back into with the new DLC, perhaps? Honestly I'm just looking to get 20-30 hours out of it.

Yeah it's pretty good if you just want to experience a story since right now the Forsaken DLC is free as it's getting vaulted on the 22nd when The Witch Queen comes out. Forsaken is easily the best DLC pack in either Destiny 1 or 2.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Don't start playing it again. Your life will be better if you don't.

8 hours ago, Brick said:

Yeah it's pretty good if you just want to experience a story since right now the Forsaken DLC is free as it's getting vaulted on the 22nd when The Witch Queen comes out. Forsaken is easily the best DLC pack in either Destiny 1 or 2.

What's the order to play the story DLC in if you haven't touched the game since Vanilla Destiny 2?

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

From is owned by a pretty huge conglomerate, Kadokawa, so it might be harder than you think.

Sony already has a small investment into Kadokawa (along with namco Bandai). So it’s possible and would fit the broader Sony acquisition like their purchase of crunchyroll.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What's the order to play the story DLC in if you haven't touched the game since Vanilla Destiny 2?

Destiny 2 Red War Campaign, Curse of Osiris DLC, Warmind DLC, although all this has now been vaulted, then Forsaken DLC, Shadowkeep DLC, and then finally Beyond Light DLC. As for the current seasons it would be Season of the Hunt, then Chosen, then Splicer, and then finally the current season, Season of the Lost. Right now Forsaken is free because it's getting vaulted, however, the Raid will not be vaulted with the launch of The Witch Queen, which is good since it's the best Raid yet, nor will The Dreaming City location.