Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion, update: deal has officially closed

CitizenVectron

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I don't really disagree with your reasoning, but the end game should always be kept in sight. They're consolidating these content creators to get more long term investments in their platforms with the goal of increasing the revenue from those platforms. However, we're so early in this transition period that I don't think we can really predict how that revenue increase will take shape. Yeah, we all know gamepass will get more expensive, but what else?

We've often seen other consolidated industries all follow each other into predatory pricing schemes. Wireless ISPs is the easiest example. While at the moment we might see Sony and Microsoft forego some of the less desirable monetization schemes, it's easy to imagine a future where they have much more control of the industry and end up both normalizing the worst possible practices across their entire portfolios.

Of course, even with these recent acquisitions, it's likely that games remains far more competitive that ISPs, so hopefully the worst won't happen.

I don't know if it will be good in the long term. My guess is nothing ever is. I just think that game publishers actually incentived to give us more games is a good thing.

Sony getting Bungie makes a lot of sense, and I really doubt Microsoft is losing sleep. Sony desperately needed a competent FPS developer, something MS has in spades right now.

I also lol'ed at the "Destiny will remain mulitplatform" news. Yeah it will. That's an optics move plain and simple. Sony keeps Destiny multiplat because I doubt it would make nearly enough money off a single console to justify its buying price. Plus MS will look like the dicks if they eventually make CoD exclusive. But Destiny and CoD aren't even kind of a 1:1 comparison.

Please God, somebody buy Konami. I don't care who it is. Those IP need to be rescued.

I'm honestly going to see this as a good thing for Destiny as now Bungie will keep their artistic freedom to create the game they want, delay anything if they need to which most likely wasn't available under Activision, but now also have a bigger financial backing which was tougher under their independence. Bungie wouldn't enter this deal lightly, and I think it'll mean more content in both quantity and quality. Still surprised it wasn't Microsoft that bought them back, especially with Phil Spencer being the Destiny fan he is, and clearly knows how to treat developers, but with Bungie wanting to do more multimedia stuff with Destiny it makes sense to go with Sony. Perhaps it's time for Microsoft to also get music, movie, and TV studios of its own. 

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm honestly going to see this as a good thing for Destiny as now Bungie will keep their artistic freedom to create the game they want, delay anything if they need to which most likely wasn't available under Activision

Some of the most loathed decisions that were made to Destiny 2 were done after Bungie split for Activision. At least that is my recollection. I remember people saying how Bungie, once freed from their irons, showed who was really at fault for making the games have shitty elements. 

Destiny and Destiny 2 being my most played games of the last two generations (One and Series) this worries me a bit. They claim Xbox will still be supported, which could be true. But what I don’t want to see is Xbox getting excluded from some content, like strikes, maps, exotics, armor sets. Sony was fond of paying for platform exclusives while Activision was publishing, and now they just handed Bungie $3.6B. So it would t surprise me if Sony didn’t feel entitled to some more platform exclusives following Which Queen’s release. 

13 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I mean, if you can counter anything I posted with facts, I'm open to discussion.

You don't even have facts yet act like your word is the only correct word. Others in this thread have already said what could be said and you still say the dumbest shit. You aren't open to discussion. You are only open to your thoughts being the correct ones. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

You don't even have facts yet act like your word is the only correct word. Others in this thread have already said what could be said and you still say the dumbest shit. You aren't open to discussion. You are only open to your thoughts being the correct ones. 

I like you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ok @GameDadGrant Here's a fact:

I have an ice cream shop and we only made enough for 100 people a day.

So this morning when we opened 100 people bought ice cream. The rest of the people could not buy ice cream.

However, we made a profit because we sold the ice cream we had. We are a successful business, not floundering at all.

You own an ice cream shop? 

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Destiny and Destiny 2 being my most played games of the last two generations (One and Series) this worries me a bit. They claim Xbox will still be supported, which could be true. But what I don’t want to see is Xbox getting excluded from some content, like strikes, maps, exotics, armor sets. Sony was fond of paying for platform exclusives while Activision was publishing, and now they just handed Bungie $3.6B. So it would t surprise me if Sony didn’t feel entitled to some more platform exclusives following Which Queen’s release. 

I think all the same arguments for exclusive content that work for Microsoft work for Sony.  I fully expect future COD and Elder Scrolls games to be Xbox exclusive (where game pass is available :raisedbrow:)  However any ftp multiplayer stuff or Warzone, Elder Scrolls online etc... will probably be multi platform.  

If there is a Destiny 3 it might be multi platform - but there will be every reason for the best stuff to be PS 1st or PS only.  Also if they have something else non destiny cooking - you better have a PS if you want to play it.

47 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Bungie already alienated the Destiny fan base on other platforms by making things 1 year exclusives for Playstation. Most of the Destiny players I know played on Playstation because of this. Xbox player surge didn't happen until Destiny 2 and it came to Game Pass. Destiny was pretty much a Playstation game from the get go.

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

Bungie already alienated the Destiny fan base on other platforms by making things 1 year exclusives for Playstation. Most of the Destiny players I know played on Playstation because of this. Xbox player surge didn't happen until Destiny 2 and it came to Game Pass. Destiny was pretty much a Playstation game from the get go.

yeah, many PS players didn’t care about the exclusive content until the PC version came out and many of them switched platforms. Then they had to miss out on stuff and suddenly cared about platform exclusive content. 

22 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think all the same arguments for exclusive content that work for Microsoft work for Sony.  I fully expect future COD and Elder Scrolls games to be Xbox exclusive (where game pass is available :raisedbrow:)  However any ftp multiplayer stuff or Warzone, Elder Scrolls online etc... will probably be multi platform.  

If there is a Destiny 3 it might be multi platform - but there will be every reason for the best stuff to be PS 1st or PS only.  Also if they have something else non destiny cooking - you better have a PS if you want to play it.

I think this is a bit different though. Bungie has broken away not once, but twice from big publishers to do their own thing and bring their games to the most people. I mean if they start doing exclusive content again it's only going to be a matter of time before they break away for a 3rd time.