Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion, update: deal has officially closed

CitizenVectron

16 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Is this the end of Sony’s golden single player era? It will be interesting to see the reaction of this news because if this was EA, people would be pretty upset. 

I don't think it's the end of their single player games, just that now we're going to start getting more multiplayer games to compliment them, and perhaps some mainly single player games will have additional multiplayer modes added to them as well. 

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't think it's the end of their single player games, just that now we're going to start getting more multiplayer games to compliment them, and perhaps some mainly single player games will have additional multiplayer modes added to them as well. 

I didn’t mean end of single player games all together from Sony. PS4 has to be in the Top 3 of best first party support and the vast majority were SP games, many of which were my favorite last gen. I would prefer them to continue to make those type of games, but it is clear there is a shift happening at Sony based on Ryan’s comments and Bungie acquisition.   “At least 10 live service games” will require a ton of manpower and resources. I don’t think Sony can maintain its prestigious SP output as seen on the PS4 while creating and maintaining a large catalogue of live service games.  I guess we shall see.

39 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I didn’t mean end of single player games all together from Sony. PS4 has to be in the Top 3 of best first party support and the vast majority were SP games, many of which were my favorite last gen. I would prefer them to continue to make those type of games, but it is clear there is a shift happening at Sony based on Ryan’s comments and Bungie acquisition.   “At least 10 live service games” will require a ton of manpower and resources. I don’t think Sony can maintain its prestigious SP output as seen on the PS4 while creating and maintaining a large catalogue of live service games.  I guess we shall see.

I think you are right, but I'm not sure they are choosing the right path.  I think leaning into what they do best would help differentiate them.  However these live service games can be cash cows for a decade if you get them right... so I guess I can understand chasing that.

Their first party studios in terms of number of studios and manpower are much bigger than last gen, y'all. We already know, from announcements and reporting, that Gran Turismo 7, Twisted Metal, Factions, Bungie, and several of the games made by the new studios with which they're partnering are working on multiplayer games that are built for continuous play. It's not like that affects something like Horizon or God of War or Spider-Man or Logan.

They've done this before; they just weren't part of the huge multiplayer games from last gen.

ps5-crop-1640199708893.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Sony is expecting to sell fewer PlayStation 5 units in the current financial year than previously forecasted. The company slashed its forecasts by millions of units due to ongoing component shortages.

@GameDadGrant is this what you were talking about?

• Shocked 1

Sony offers Bungie employees $1.2 billion retention incentive plan

In its recent Q3'21 earnings report, Sony confirmed it plans to spend a sizable portion of its Bungie buyout offer on retention. Sony says it is prepared to pay 1/3rd of its $3.6 billion buyout proposal, or roughly $1.2 billion, on a long-term incentive plan that will reward Bungie employees who stay with the company.

Sony will pay the remainder $2.4 billion for a direct buyout of Bungie's private shares. The bonus is aimed at keeping Bungie's current staff intact after the acquisition.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion, update: $1.2 billion of acquisition price goes towards employee incentive retention plan

It's such a weird "acquisition". Really sounds more like a partnership given that Bungie will retain publishing rights to their games, and even said future games, not just Destiny, will remain multiplatform. 

I think we're getting closer and closer to the day of console exclusives becoming a thing of the past, and all games can be played on any console like how any DVD or Blu-ray can be played on any DVD/Blu-ray player. Except Nintendo. They'll probably stick to unique hardware and exclusives. 

Something I didn't know about Bungie, and a reason so much of the purchase price includes retention incentives is this (taken from Sony's recent quarterly report)

Bungie is a private company, the majority of whose shares are owned by its employees, so the payment of the consideration is structured to incentivize the shareholders and other creative talent to continue working at Bungie after the acquisition closes

On 2/2/2022 at 7:07 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This just baffles me. Who the hell is buying PS5? :confused:

*glances over at my PS5 hooked up to my gaming TV* :monkey:

Son of a.... :doh:

:lol:

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2022 at 2:03 PM, skillzdadirecta said:
ps5-crop-1640199708893.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Sony is expecting to sell fewer PlayStation 5 units in the current financial year than previously forecasted. The company slashed its forecasts by millions of units due to ongoing component shortages.

@GameDadGrant is this what you were talking about?

Kinda. That's a part of it. 

But...myeh. I'm sure the brand will be fine regardless. People will buy any Playstation console anyway. Hell, I bought one. 

On 2/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, TwinIon said:

Something I didn't know about Bungie, and a reason so much of the purchase price includes retention incentives is this (taken from Sony's recent quarterly report)

So in other words, buying Bungie was essentially giving their employees a golden parachute, so the only way to get them from retiring early, was to give them an even bigger parachute?

It will be interesting to see if this works or backfires (assuming there aren't contracts involved).

• 5 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion, update: deal has officially closed

Sony will now be helping to fund Lightfall and The Final Shape, and if they continue the quality trend of The Witch Queen, but now with a bigger budget, and support studios to help out, those should be very, very good expansions. 

Destiny is fun, but im so lost when I try to play. Completely and hopelessly lost. I played quote a bit of the OG, but never played the second for the first couple of years, and just felt I was way too behind when I finally tried it. 

Ill jump into Destiny 3 when it releases.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Destiny is fun, but im so lost when I try to play. Completely and hopelessly lost. I played quote a bit of the OG, but never played the second for the first couple of years, and just felt I was way too behind when I finally tried it. 

Ill jump into Destiny 3 when it releases.

You will be waiting a very long time!