Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion, update: deal has officially closed

CitizenVectron

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion
  • CitizenVectron changed the title to Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion

So half the price of Bethesda for Bungie, interesting.

Was this a move to stop MS from acquiring them, since that was a rumor not too long ago.  Maybe Sony will leverage Destiny and whatever their new IP maybe for their "Spartacus" Sub service. 

Sony can go, we will keep Destiny multiplatform if you keep CoD Multiplatform.

But it sounds like the contract was written as such that Bungie will operate pretty independently and can put games wherever they want.  Really curious move.

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

So half the price of Bethesda for Bungie, interesting.

Was this a move to stop MS from acquiring them, since that was a rumor not too long ago.  Maybe Sony will leverage Destiny and whatever their new IP maybe for their "Spartacus" Sub service. 

Sony can go, we will keep Destiny multiplatform if you keep CoD Multiplatform.

But it sounds like the contract was written as such that Bungie will operate pretty independently and can put games wherever they want.  Really curious move.

I wonder if the remain independent and publish wherever was the sticking point for Microsoft. 

19 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Honestly assumed EA was buying Playstation. 

I am surprised! Didn't know Sony had this kind of money to throw around. 

EA can't buy "PlayStation" unless the Sony parent company would be stupid enough to sell it.

EA market capitalization = $37.5 billion

Sony market capitalization = $134 billion

Also, Sony had $12.81 billion in available cash as of September 30, 2021.

A good point I saw is, if Microsoft does make CoD exclusive, Sony is going to need a studio that can help them develop a competitive PvP FPS Shooter, and Bungie is one of the best in the business, and they will now be in house.  Whether they develop the game themselves, or Sony gets some talent from Bungie to loan to a different studio, they can be used to help them make the next big FPS Shooter for Playstation.

I think Destiny still pulls in huge numbers and pulls in a lot of revenue, but the price seems like a lot compared to Bethesda's purchase.

Bungie also said everyone will have the same experience on Destiny, so still promising no "exclusive" content on one platform which is huge.

1 minute ago, johnny said:

i think the activision sale bumped it up. Bungie probably had more leverage. "Well, we could go with microsoft..."

I get that, it’s still fucking dumb. There’s no world in which Destiny is worth $3.6B. None.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hence Grubb's tweet that Sony is (over)paying a HELLUVA premium for Bungie

Yeah. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve backed tabletop games on kickstarter because of FOMO, but this seems ridiculous. :p

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

EA can't buy "PlayStation" unless the Sony parent company would be stupid enough to sell it.

EA market capitalization = $37.5 billion

Sony market capitalization = $134 billion

That's Sony as a whole, yes? I thought maybe Sony would want to sell the Playstation brand since it's floundering so much. Recently, the Vita straight up failed, the PS4 is old and the PS5 is underperforming. Playstation seems ripe for the picking. 

• Haha 1

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

That's Sony as a whole, yes? I thought maybe Sony would want to sell the Playstation brand since it's floundering so much. Recently, the Vita straight up failed, the PS4 is old and the PS5 is underperforming. Playstation seems ripe for the picking. 

ive never heard the playstation brand is floundering. At least not since the beginning of the PS3

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

Pretty bored this morning eh lol

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Umm WTF this is not true at all (other than vita not being successful). The gaming division is one of sony's best performers.

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yes, that's Sony as a whole, but there is no goddamned way that EA (or anyone else) would be able to afford the asking price if Sony was stupid enough to divest itself of the PlayStation division.

And the PS5 is ABSOLUTELY NOT "underperforming", not a by a helluva longshot!

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

A good point I saw is, if Microsoft does make CoD exclusive, Sony is going to need a studio that can help them develop a competitive PvP FPS Shooter, and Bungie is one of the best in the business, and they will now be in house.  Whether they develop the game themselves, or Sony gets some talent from Bungie to loan to a different studio, they can be used to help them make the next big FPS Shooter for Playstation.

I think Destiny still pulls in huge numbers and pulls in a lot of revenue, but the price seems like a lot compared to Bethesda's purchase.

Bungie also said everyone will have the same experience on Destiny, so still promising no "exclusive" content on one platform which is huge.

Yeah I think this is for the future so they can work on a CoD competitor. Glad MS didn't buy them, this is way too high of a price for them unless they literally hit the next big shooter. I assume Destiny is popular, but not CoD/Apex Legends kind of popular. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I wish I could go back in time and tell the IGN boards when they were at their worst with fanboys on either side and just watch the reactions…

If you go on resetera there are all kinds of meltdowns anytime one of them acquires somebody. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Umm WTF this is not true at all (other than vita not being successful). The gaming division is one of sony's best performers.

The Vita failed, that's true. The PS4 is old, that's true. And I'm pretty sure the PS5 isn't selling as much as Sony would like. Admittedly, that's mostly due to hardware shortages, but still. 

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes, that's Sony as a whole, but there is no goddamned way that EA (or anyone else) would be able to afford the asking price if Sony was stupid enough to divest itself of the PlayStation division.

And the PS5 is ABSOLUTELY NOT "underperforming", not a by a helluva longshot!

Hmm. I think people just want the PS5 to thrive. Whether or not it actually is? I dunno. Doesn't look good. 

I want it to do well. I'm a Day One purchaser of the damn thing, after all. 

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

The Vita failed, that's true. The PS4 is old, that's true. And I'm pretty sure the PS5 isn't selling as much as Sony would like. Admittedly, that's mostly due to hardware shortages, but still. 

Hmm. I think people just want the PS5 to thrive. Whether or not it actually is? I dunno. Doesn't look good. 

I want it to do well. I'm a Day One purchaser of the damn thing, after all. 

The only thing floundering about the PS5 is Sony’s ability to produce enough of them, and this is not a problem that is unique to them right now.