Up to 100 dead after nighttime tornadoes hit Kentucky

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Up to 100 dead after nighttime tornadoes hit Kentucky

I had to shelter around 330 am as they rolled through Nashville. We had wind gusts up to 80 mph near my home. 

But my mom off to the west lives near Mayfield KY and dealt with her own tornado around 1130 last night. She texted me and said she could hear it going by. She didn't have any damage though, so that's good. 

This one is the quintessential hook echo on the radar. I've circled where my mom's house is:

unknown.png

But Mayfield KY got blown off the map. It's only an hour away from my hometown. 

This is what they had to deal with:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 3

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

How common are basements and cellars in this part of the country?

It depends. Where I grew up, west Tennessee/Kentucky, they aren't very common unless your house was built on a slope and you have a half-underground lower floor. It's not like in Texas where there aren't any basements. But they aren't common. In the neighborhood I live in now in Nashville, there are more because it was an older development in a hilly area. Newer developments are just homes built on concrete slabs. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently the main tornado was on the ground for over two hundred miles.

if there were only a good guy with a gun to stop it

tragic, though. tornadoes are terrifying. having to go into position for a tornado warning while at school was far too common an occurrence and scared the shit out of me as a kid

Wasn’t there one from the 2010 outbreak that took a pretty similar path as this recent big storm. I remember one of those storms had a pretty long ground game. I also remember heading down to Austin at the time of the breakout of tornados. They had to divert the flight a bit because of the line of storms we were potentially heading into. I also remember looking out my plane window once seeing us surrounded by towering black/grey clouds. Had to see Houston before boarding a 2nd plane for Austin. Remember heading out for dinner the night I got there and seeing one towering massive cloud stack near us. Wasn’t until we left that I saw on our complimentary paper the cloud stack I saw with the caption “Tornado Warnings pictures from last week in Austin” 

I’m also just happy to see (so far) everyone is reporting back here safe and sound. 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

How common are basements and cellars in this part of the country?

My personal experience in the OH/IN/KY tri-state area is about half and half....maybe?

I have one, some of my neighbors do, some don't. My sister in northern Kentucky does.

I lived through a strong F4 when I was 8 or 9 and it left a pretty lasting impression on me. Unless I was absolutely forced to I would not even consider living in a house without a basement.