Ok fine let’s talk type of fries

stepee

Not what your favorite things to put on fries, mind, but the type of fry itself. So garlic fries, poutine, etc, don’t count by themselves.

I just like plain ol skinny fries, I’m one of those that thinks Mcdonald’s are pretty perfect though Nations i’m the bay area is my fav for regular fries.

I can’t STAND steak fries, potato wedges, and kind of thick fry, though curly fries are a little thicker and can be okay.

As far as besides plain, how I like to have those fries, the best is poutine followed by garlic fries.

I like potato wedges, but they always make me full after like 5 of them. Wedges dipped in hot sauce are awesome, though.

In general, I think if I'm ever at a point where I'm eating french fries, I'm not really too worried about what type they are, though. Curly fries are probably my favorite, but only when they're piping hot, they start to suck once they cool down.

The type of fries depend on the dish. Shoe string fries are great with burgers. Steak fries are great with a dish that has a sauce that it can soak up. All fries have a dish where they shine. 

The only fry I don’t like are ones that are not properly cooked which tend to be thicker fries or tater-tots. 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The type of fries depend on the dish. Shoe string fries are great with burgers. Steak fries are great with a dish that has a sauce that it can soak up. All fries have a dish where they shine. 

The only fry I don’t like are ones that are not properly cooked which tend to be thicker fries or tater-tots. 

A lot of times soggy fries has to do with the starch content of the potato. Or they weren't blanched. Ideally, you should fry the potatoes at least once for like 3-4 minutes, then stick them uncovered in a fridge for a while before frying them again. Some places just fry raw potatoes. That gets you soggy fries. Steak fries should probably be blanched at least twice. I used to have an Irish roommate that would do it like 5 times before the final fry.

At any rate, there's nothing you can do to make a fry good if it wasn't prepared properly. I'll have people ask me to make the fries "crispy," and I'm like if the potatoes sucked or if they weren't prepped properly, keeping them an extra 2 minutes in the frier isn't gonna do much except make them taste more like used cooking oil.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

A lot of times soggy fries has to do with the starch content of the potato. Or they weren't blanched. Ideally, you should fry the potatoes at least once for like 3-4 minutes, then stick them uncovered in a fridge for a while before frying them again. Some places just fry raw potatoes. That gets you soggy fries. Steak fries should probably be blanched at least twice. I used to have an Irish roommate that would do it like 5 times before the final fry.

At any rate, there's nothing you can do to make a fry good if it wasn't prepared properly. I'll have people ask me to make the fries "crispy," and I'm like if the potatoes sucked or if they weren't prepped properly, keeping them an extra 2 minutes in the frier isn't gonna do much except make them taste more like used cooking oil.

Ok so as someone who really knows the ins and outs of fry cooking, what chain do you think makes them the best?

Just now, stepee said:

Ok so as someone who really knows the ins and outs of fry cooking, what chain do you think makes them the best?

McDonald's. I don't know what their process is, but it works. I can't think of another chain that is regularly as good. Maybe Red Robin? I haven't eaten at a Red Robin since I was like 18, so maybe I'm just looking through rose tinted glasses, but I remember them being bomb.

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Which is why I am wary when I walk into

a restaurant that picks thick cut fries. It’s a lot of work. 

I also don’t bother cooking fries at home. I am never happy how they turn out. 

I also don't like fat fries. 

Popeyes and 5 guys has my favorite fries. I used to like McDonald's fries a lot but now they always taste stale to me even when they are obviously fresh. I also really like beer battered fries but I can't really get them around here. Wendy's and Hardee's have the worst fast food fries by far. I'd really like it if Wendy's brought back their classic fries. The new fries suck on their own and they are even worse for frosty dipping. 

I love me a good thing of Curly Fries with just a hint of heat. I know Arby’s takes a lot of shit for their food, but their Curly Fries are great. McDonalds are best fast food fries when not over salted and a good crisp. I do love to Cajun my fries up from Five Guys. Canadians might know what I’m talking here, but the Taters and Cream from Lick’s restaurant were amazing. Cheese, green onions, real bacon bits, and a sour cream/mayo with honey mixture on top. A

If at home and only have a few fries to cook. Ketchup and sometimes melted cheese on top is my go too. 

17 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

McDonald's. I don't know what their process is, but it works. I can't think of another chain that is regularly as good. Maybe Red Robin? I haven't eaten at a Red Robin since I was like 18, so maybe I'm just looking through rose tinted glasses, but I remember them being bomb.

Yeah that makes sense. Red Robin is steak fries, they are good if you like those though.

I generally prefer fries in the general shape of what McDonald’s sells, even though I’m not a fan of the taste of McDonald’s fries. The shape and texture are good. For something similar that I think tastes better, Whataburger is my jam when it comes to fast food fry options.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

From what I understood, and can remember from what they said on the radio a couple weeks ago (in regards to Wendy's changing their fries) is that they partially cook them, then freeze them then fry them again when they are ready. Something along those lines anyway.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

From what I understood, and can remember from what they said on the radio a couple weeks ago (in regards to Wendy's changing their fries) is that they partially cook them, then freeze them then fry them again when they are ready. Something along those lines anyway.

That’s the exact process normal restaurants use when they make their own fries. If you don’t cook them once and then freeze them you’re not going to get any crisp on them and they’ll be kinda limp no matter what you do.