God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 minute ago, Dexterryu said:

Loved Elden Ring, but the games are very different in approach. Almost hard to compare them.

They're both action RPG's so they're not THAT hard to compare. God of War is more narrative driven  and Elden Ring thrives on Atmosphere and exploration. I don't think it's too far off to compare them at all. One will excell in areas the other doesn't for sure.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They're both action RPG's so they're not THAT hard to compare. God of War is more narrative driven  and Elden Ring thrives on Atmosphere and exploration. I don't think it's too far off to compare them at all. One will excell in areas the other doesn't for sure.

And that's what I mean. They're both great in their own ways. They approach things differently and awesomely. Not really a good way to quantify one being better than the other.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Tbf its a follow up to one of the best games of all time that might be even better, there aren’t many games on that level that had a follow up just as good outside of Mario and Zelda.

Half Life 2

Halo 2

Resident Evil 2

Batman Arkham City

Portal 2

Mass Effect 2

its a pretty big list 

• Halal 1

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Elden Ring was a phenomenon that made an unlikely breakthrough with the casual audience and a refinement of a genre that was amazing.

God of War 2, while great is just basically more of God of War 1. I think by that metric Elden Ring is still untouchable.

I don't disagree with this but until we play it, we won't know if it's the better game. Elden Ring is everything you say it is but it isn't perfect. There's a fair amount of padding in it and for all of the work that GRRM suposedly did, the narrative is pretty obtuse outside of youtube videos. I know that's not a detriment for some gamers but for others it might be. For me, Elden Ring is STILL my personal Game of the Year without question at this point. However these God of War 2 impressions seem to point to a game that may give it a run for its money in a year when folks thought it would run away with most GOTY awards. That's all I'm saying... for me I'll make my mind up when I play it next week.

• True 1

I don't think Halo 2 is better than Halo one personally and Mass effect 2 (while my personal fav in the series) is arguable is well. 

Fair. I like ME better than ME2 but I typically find myself in the minority. The point of the list is that a ton of great games are sequels

• Halal 1

I'm annoyed with myself that I don't like GoW reboot more. I've purchased it both on PS and PC and I've managed to get 8-12 hours in each time and then...I just stop. Its gorgeous, and controls great. If I dislike anything its the "puzzles" that break up the action and walking sequences. I totally get why they are there, I just don't like them. Not. One. Bit. They aren't hard, they are just annoying.  

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm annoyed with myself that I don't like GoW reboot more. I've purchased it both on PS and PC and I've managed to get 8-12 hours in each time and then...I just stop. Its gorgeous, and controls great. If I dislike anything its the "puzzles" that break up the action and walking sequences. I totally get why they are there, I just don't like them. Not. One. Bit. They aren't hard, they are just annoying.  

I've found it to be a hard game to return to if you haven't played in a while.  I also think the loot aspect feels like an unnecessary chore that doesn't fit the core game design.

That's my excuse for not beating it yet, but I've got a PS5 now, so I really should get back to it soon.

• True 1

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

I've found it to be a hard game to return to if you haven't played a while.  I also think the loot aspect feels like an unnecessary chore that doesn't fit the core game design.

That's my excuse for not beating it yet, but I've got a PS5 now, so I really should get back to it soon.

Best of Luck! I'm going to try and use GoW: R's amazing reviews as motivation to finally beat the reboot! Maybe... :lol:

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Haha, maybe I'll join you.  How far did you make it?  Probably 1/3 of the way through on my end, looking at the chapter titles.

According to the walkthrough I looked up to get a sense of where I left off, It was "The Light of Alfheim" , so maybe a quarter of the way? 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sounds like Elden Ring might have some serious comp for game of the year here...

So far, reviewers ive see who loved both gave the edge to Elden Ring (Blessing A, Andy at KF, one of MinnMax guys), but thats completely anecdotal. But all also gave GoW perfect scores as well.

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

I gotta strongly disagree about Halo 2. I could go either way on ME though.

Halo 2 is borderline broken in its campaign especially at higher levels. Jackal Snipers make the game a chore and Master Chief is like tissue. They fucked the balance up in that game big time. Also a lot of folsk didn't really like playing as the Arbiter for half or more of the game.

• True 1

Halo 2 is borderline broken in its campaign especially at higher levels. Jackal Snipers make the game a chore and Master Chief is like tissue. They fucked the balance up in that game big time. Also a lot of folsk didn't really like playing as the Arbiter for half or more of the game.

I think it's the best campaign of the Bungie era, and loved playing as the arbiter.