God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

god-of-war-ragnarok-new-image-sept-8.web
MP1ST.COM

The God of War Ragnarok review embargo is set to be lifted on November 3, with a hands-on preview allowed to be posted on October 21.

The exact date and time is: November 3 at 9 am PDT/12 pm EDT/12 am/4 pm GMT/5pm CEST/HKT (November 4). Those who got review copies can also post a preview of the game on Friday, October 21 at 6 am PDT/9 am EDT/3 pm CEST/9 pm HKT. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök (09 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: review embargo lifts on November 3 @ 0900 Pacific/1200 Eastern, previews this Friday @ 0600 Pacific/0900 Eastern
51 minutes ago, Brian said:

Of course. No game every sweeps GOTY across the board. I will probably prefer GoW 2 over Elden Ring.  But lbh, Kirby is the true 🐐 

43 minutes ago, stepee said:

It will be interesting, we have GOAT Kirby but also Elden Ring is indeed one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, but GOW is top 5 all time for me.

Forbidden West is there, too. Pretty fucking good year for gaming with GOW as the finale. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

The year turned around a bit with GOW2 making it, and there’s a few potential great games left. But yeah, certainly can’t call a year with Elden Ring, Horizon, GOW2, and the first Kirby 3D platformer bad. 

I guess when I get through a bunch of games I need to beat I should play Kirby. I never was into Kirby but if you and Brian are saying it's GOTY I need to play it. 

I miss Nintendo's magic and I'm sure it has that. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök (09 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Shaping The Story" behind-the-scenes video
18 hours ago, best3444 said:

I guess when I get through a bunch of games I need to beat I should play Kirby. I never was into Kirby but if you and Brian are saying it's GOTY I need to play it. 

I miss Nintendo's magic and I'm sure it has that. 

Kirby is a decent 8/10 platformer. If you don't already love Kirby, you probably won't love this. If you adore Kirby, it's a game for you. It certainly won't be on top ofp any GotY lists except maybe weird fansites. 

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Kirby is a decent 8/10 platformer. If you don't already love Kirby, you probably won't love this. If you adore Kirby, it's a game for you. It certainly won't be on top ofp any GotY lists except maybe weird fansites. 

@stepee @Brian what is goin on here? You guys lying to me about Kirby!?

Whatever Bloodyhell says is true so I'm disappointed in the both of you. 

• Shocked 1

Don't know if this has been posted but, GOW filesize... at least for PS4

god-of-war-ragnarok-1024x576.png
GAMEINFINITUS.COM

God of War Ragnarok is one of the biggest games on the PS4 if we are talking purely about the file size. It was revealed along with a day one patch.

118 GB for the lazy and illiterate :p Not sure what the filesize on PS5 will be.

• Shocked 1

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't know if this has been posted but, GOW filesize... at least for PS4

god-of-war-ragnarok-1024x576.png
GAMEINFINITUS.COM

God of War Ragnarok is one of the biggest games on the PS4 if we are talking purely about the file size. It was revealed along with a day one patch.

118 GB for the lazy and illiterate :p Not sure what the filesize on PS5 will be.

Jeez. That's massive! *That's what she said*...

• Haha 1

IMPRESSIONS MOTHER FUCKERS

GOWR_Preview_Screenshot_04.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Better combat, better looking and more expansive…

gowr_preview_screenshot_08.jpeg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

The biggest question nobody wants the answer to about God of War Ragnarök yet is what happens next? This preview won't ruin that, but will let you know if you should be excited for the next chapter or not.

GOWR_Preview_header.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Our hands-on with the first few hours of God of War Ragnarök.

dzN2xVVvHCyW5kaFoXWsoZ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

And the evolving relationship between Kratos and Atreus

god-of-war-ragnarok-preview-header-banne
PRESS-START.COM.AU

God Of War Ragnarok Hands-On Preview – More Of The Good Stuff

• Halal 1

A piece of the GamesRadar int about systems being tweeked, refined, etc.:

GR: Was it tempting to step away from some of the returning elements, like the Nornir chests and the Ravens for example?

Williams: I think for me, because I helped build so much of that design element in the first game, we weren't going to just get rid of it, so we're going to do some twists on it and work it into the story a little bit more. The ravens, for instance, I think you're going to be surprised when you see that it has its own story with its own culmination at the end of the game. Even the Nornir chests, we talk about those in a bit of a different way to think about how and why they're placed where they are. And we try to acknowledge it all so it all makes sense within the world.  But at the same time, we've got completely new stuff as well, so I think it works, there's no reason to get rid of it. 

Now, some people don't like that because they think it's not an evolution. Well, sequels are not always going to be as major a step, they're going to be refined, and they're going to be a continuation – especially in the story space. It would have taken us forever to rebuild the whole game and then take on that story. If you liked [the reboot] we'll give you that [again, but] we're going to do a lot more refining.

The combat is highly refined, with the new triangle button moves and the way that works, and you get the blades and the axe so quickly into the game. There's a lot going on real fast, and it gives you time to start to express Kratos in a different way. Like if I want to be a tank Kratos, or a Magic or status affect Kratos… you can make those choices now. Last game, it was there, but it wasn't as accessible to make a whole build that goes one way or another. That's the stuff we were more focused on.

GR: Having the blades so early on completely changes the way you think about combat, but also the systems for upgrading and weapons feel a lot more streamlined this time around.

Williams: Yeah, that's what we always find a bummer is that we'll spend so much time building new systems, and then like 10% of the players engage with them, so we were like we've got to do better. The Kratos motto is the team's motto. Anytime we see something is not where it's supposed to be, it's like, be better. That's it, there's no argument about it, just be better. Especially with accessibility as a whole. So it wasn't like, oh, we'll take a couple of times to get up to Naughty Dog's standard. No, we're just going in and smash them one-for-one right now with this game. We're part of the first-party studio systems, we have to lead the way. [Naughty Dog] put down the first flag, and we need to go right behind them.