God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Holy Fuckin Jesus Christ my parents wifi speed is comical. I just started downloading it and it says 5 hours!

I won't be able to play this until tomorrow now. Reading some impressions in here has definitely lowered my hype level too. So I'm in no rush. 

Why did this game get such incredible reviews and all of you guys say it's just "ok". I guess I'll see tomorrow.

I wasn't expecting amazing visuals because of the god damn PS4 fiasco. :/

Its more than just ok. Game is incredible. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, best3444 said:

Awesome. I'd listen to you over 95% of the people on here. I'm playing this tonight at like 9pm. Thanks for your thoughts because you're are usually brutally honest. 

I mean, did you love God of War 2018? It's definitely more of that, but the story is so grand it's incredible. It's also got better enemy variety and boss fights. Combat is tighter. But man, the adventure. And the Side quests!!!!!

Just now, BloodyHell said:

I mean, did you love God of War 2018? It's definitely more of that, but the story is so grand it's incredible. It's also got better enemy variety and boss fights. Combat is tighter. But man, the adventure. And the Side quests!!!!!

GOW 2018 is my top 10-15 games of all time. I beat it twice and the second time was just a month or so ago. Awesome!

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

GOW 2018 is my top 10-15 games of all time. I beat it twice and the second time was just a month or so ago. Awesome!

The two side quests ive done so far, early on, were way more interesting than any side quests in the original, and the main story is incredible.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I need to stay out of this thread because shit like this is going to make me grab this game. 2018 GoW was so damn good. Maybe I'll replay that and just pretend it's the new game :p 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Oh right I forgot about what I heard about the side quests that could be a big deal to win over some people thinking it’s too much the same. Sounded like they knocked it out of the park with those.

Wait unti you meet (name only, and one you probably won't even recognize anyway)

Spoiler

Angrboda

Not a side quest, its part of the main, but oh my god, the chemistry is so good.

Further mythological details about the character named above which could end up being spoilers, but aren't part of the game so far)

Spoiler

Angrboda is Loki's wife, and mother of some of his children in norse mythology.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Awesome. I'd listen to you over 95% of the people on here. I'm playing this tonight at like 9pm. Thanks for your thoughts because you're are usually brutally honest. 

This makes no sense. No one here has hated on the game. Unless there's solely effusive praise, 11/10, best game ever then hype level has to drop even when "really good" is not the same as "okay"? Not sure where you're getting people saying the game is "okay" or how anyone can even put down the final word yet since no one here has beaten the game, everything is first impressions. Speaking for myself, I heaped plenty of praise on the game, as did others. It's like you live in a permanent state of hypebole.

• Halal 1

15 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Dang, the first area is quite large. I've been exploring and going off the beaten path quite a bit.

Oh yeah, and its just the beginning. Im 12 hours in. Probably 8 of them actually doing the main quest. Man, it gets pretty incredible. 

I can't wait till more get through it so we can talk about whats going on.

• Halal 1

Took the day off today to have more time to play this.

Woke up early, shaved my head and face and got ready, wrote a song, went with my dad to the store and bought way too much good food, bought and played some of this $5 indie 3d saturn inspired  platformer called Lunstic on Switch cuz there was a resetera thread and didn’t want to forget it, got a whole bunch of weed, ate a sushi roll as an appetizer before having a huge rib eye steak nice and raw, watched the new fletch w my bff, and now playing Sonic on deck while watching Rick and Morty.

Killer day but the one thing I didn’t do was play any God of War lol.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Took the day off today to have more time to play this.

Woke up early, shaved my head and face and got ready, wrote a song, went with my dad to the store and bought way too much good food, bought and played some of this $5 indie 3d saturn inspired  platformer called Lunstic on Switch cuz there was a resetera thread and didn’t want to forget it, got a whole bunch of weed, ate a sushi roll as an appetizer before having a huge rib eye steak nice and raw, watched the new fletch w my bff, and now playing Sonic on deck while watching Rick and Morty.

Killer day but the one thing I didn’t do was play any God of War lol.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

GameStop Canada is bumping $2 game credits to $10 if trading towards this game. Most of the games are on gamepass, upgraded to PS5 for Spidey, and have been free thanks to the Epic Game store giveaways. Walked away with my PS5 copy for $34Cnd, but don’t think I will be able to play until tomorrow. :( Dog is acting nuts and even more so now that my mom is away for the night at my sisters. Can’t keep my eye off him, as everything he sees is eventually in his mouth. Plus I gotta drive my sister to work for 6 tomorrow 

• Sad 1

Wife out of town at a conference? We binge. About 20 hours in.

Some quick hit vibes:

Environments in terms of looks and engagement? Great

Story and characters? Great

Gameplay and progression? Varies from great to not interesting at al, more context in the spoilers below

Pacing? Not good

Spoiler context for the stuff I'm not in love with below. No huge plot beats or anything but some gameplay stuff that people would like to have kept secret will be included below.

Spoiler

Last warning...

Spoiler

Playing as Atreus is just fundamentally much less interesting than playing as Kratos. I've done a few segments with him now and even as he's unlocked new abilities and weapons it's just not the vibe I'm looking for in this game... at all. Which is a shame since I like Atreus as a character and a lot of interesting stuff happens when you control him. But... he's just not as fun to play as, full stop.

And the pacing of this game is all over the map. Most of the time you get to play as Atreus something dramatic just happened with Kratos and that grinds to a complete stop for an Atreus segment. Here we go... gathering fruit and roots. Here we go... climbing a wall for a long time.

Also in the first game almost all the time you could spend exploring was time where the game went out of its way to remind you that you had the time to do it. The best opportunity to explore came to me when I logged off yesterday and Kratos can either...

Spoiler

Go off and explore to do some side quests or... meet with the fates because Atreus is in Asgard?

I know this is a more patient Kratos here, but that's being graded on a curve and there's just no fucking way he'd decide that now is a good time for a  magical journey with friends.

In any event, looking forward to playing more today, the game grabs you by the balls and is, for the most past, unlikely to loosen its grip.

I have to say that they've done a really great job with Kratos in this game. I feel like it would have been easy to really fumble the ball after the events of GoW and lean too hard in a couple potential directions but he's really well characterized here for the most part. Still wild to me that this series has gone from "fuck women until they cum health orbs" to where it is now. What a pivot.

• Halal 1

One thing that I think they do intentionally to keep this working on ps4 is stay very sparse with the npc’s. It kind of works for me with the strange dream like atmosphere these games have but it’s something that I hope to see in a current gen only sequel, wherever they take this next. I thought it would have been nice to see the

dwarf village

actually populated like a bustling city, and I think the story reason they give for why it isn’t is just so they don’t have to try to pull that off on the ps4’s cpu while keeping it’s usual fidelity.

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

One thing that I think they do intentionally to keep this working on ps4 is stay very sparse with the npc’s. It kind of works for me with the strange dream like atmosphere these games have but it’s something that I hope to see in a current gen only sequel, wherever they take this next. I thought it would have been nice to see the

Hide contents

dwarf village

actually populated like a bustling city, and I think the story reason they give for why it isn’t is just so they don’t have to try to pull that off on the ps4’s cpu while keeping it’s usual fidelity.

I actually hope we him in an Egyptian setting. If he even survives this game (no spoilers, I don't actually know anything).

Im about 14 hours in, and it just keeps getting better.

Spoiler

Noe that Freyja and Kratos made up, im definitely hoping they hook up. Freyja IS the God of Sex and Fertility.

Vanaheim story completion spoilers above.