God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Its Opie from SoA. Ryan Hurst.

He did a great job playing Lobo in the recent DTV Superman: Man of Tomorrow animated movie, and I liked him on SoA as well. Debating on purchase or an idea for Xmas gift. Also I’m hoping that they can knock off $20 or so for Black Friday sale soon

I’m not sure if I’ll do the opening tonight or not or wait until tomorrow after work for my 3 day weekend.  

Is it worth checking it out for an hour session or would I be better to wait until my first session can be longer? I don’t want to have to pull myself away in the middle of crazy stuff happening. 

Just now, stepee said:

I’m not sure if I’ll do the opening tonight or not or wait until tomorrow after work for my 3 day weekend.  

Is it worth checking it out for an hour session or would I be better to wait until my first session can be longer? I don’t want to have to pull myself away in the middle of crazy stuff happening. 

There's a decently clean break about an hour in.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

So I'm already in the first world you can visit using the gate. I'm saying that because I'm going to put in some spoilers prior to that, particularly the first hour/75 minutes:

Spoiler
  • I really dug everything about the Thor/Odin/Mimir/Atreus/Kratos scene. I didn't even know if/when we'd see Odin, so I was surprised he was part of that scene that was teased since the first God of War. Everything from the camera shots and the high-angle view from behind Thor, to the tension and silence at the beginning of the scene, to the fact that the scene was allowed to breathe and we stuck with the long-camera shot and didn't do a bunch of edits, it was just really good. I didn't even know I'd be excited to watch Mimir see Odin again.
  • The boss fight started so simply -- you attack, you block/dodge Thor's tells, rinse lather repeat. But there's a new tier to each part of the battle expanded things a little more, and the shocker was dying after a button prompt I thought I won, just for Thor to say I can't die until he allows it. At that point, I'm thinking, "Okay, this isn't Baldur. I'm not gonna snap his neck and be shocked he returns later; he's fucking with me right now." By the end, I was really finding my combat groove.
  • Maybe if I knew more about Norse mythology, there's some connection between a bear and Loki that would have cued me, but as it stood, I gasped when that seemingly normal mini-boss fight ended with the realization that it was Atreus. Again, I don't know much about Norse mythology compared to Greek, so it's possible plenty of people saw that coming.
  • Fenrir :(

• Halal 1

14 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

So I'm already in the first world you can visit using the gate. I'm saying that because I'm going to put in some spoilers prior to that, pa

rticularly the first hour/75 minutes:

Hide contents
  • I really dug everything about the Thor/Odin/Mimir/Atreus/Kratos scene. I didn't even know if/when we'd see Odin, so I was surprised he was part of that scene that was teased since the first God of War. Everything from the camera shots and the high-angle view from behind Thor, to the tension and silence at the beginning of the scene, to the fact that the scene was allowed to breathe and we stuck with the long-camera shot and didn't do a bunch of edits, it was just really good. I didn't even know I'd be excited to watch Mimir see Odin again.
  • The boss fight started so simply -- you attack, you block/dodge Thor's tells, rinse lather repeat. But there's a new tier to each part of the battle expanded things a little more, and the shocker was dying after a button prompt I thought I won, just for Thor to say I can't die until he allows it. At that point, I'm thinking, "Okay, this isn't Baldur. I'm not gonna snap his neck and be shocked he returns later; he's fucking with me right now." By the end, I was really finding my combat groove.
  • Maybe if I knew more about Norse mythology, there's some connection between a bear and Loki that would have cued me, but as it stood, I gasped when that seemingly normal mini-boss fight ended with the realization that it was Atreus. Again, I don't know much about Norse mythology compared to Greek, so it's possible plenty of people saw that coming.
  • Fenrir :(

Spoiler

Loki in myths wears "animals suits" on multiple occasions. Freyas eagle suit, bears, even has kids with a wolf in norse mythology.

Mythology spoilers, not game spoilers 

• Thanks 1

Damn hard to choose between quality and performance mode here with high frame rate on - both look phenomenal but fights look pretty crazy in performance at 90fps so it might actually have to be that. This looks better than I expected, my expectations graphically were kinda low from what I’ve read but it’s definitely way up there if not quite Horizon FW. You get a more polished out the gate iq and better frame rate in return for that though.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, how is a codex in any way a spoiler? It's not like he told you what's in it. 

Spoiler

Because I wanted to know nothing about the game going in. Having Kratos now doing the journal is very surprising to me and I would have liked to have seen that for myself. 

It's definitely a spoiler imo. Kal doesn't give a shit though. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

To read spoiler free impressions. I thought everyone here was going to mark spoilers like most threads. 

Spoiler

I get it, but, if something like the POV of journal entries is a spoiler for you, then to me it sounds as if you truly want a complete-unknown going into the game, which is fine. However, being in a thread post-release isn’t the best place to hang if that’s the case.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:
Spoiler

I get it, but, if something like the POV of journal entries is a spoiler for you, then to me it sounds as if you truly want a complete-unknown going into the game, which is fine. However, being in a thread post-release isn’t the best place to hang if that’s the case.

Meh. Spoilers should be marked. Next new game I get I'll just post anything I want with no spoiler tag. 

16 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's a spoiler for me so awesome. :|

Never in a million years would I have considered this a spoiler, or I’d have marked it. Apologies. 

I’ll do that now. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

It's definitely a spoiler imo. Kal doesn't give a shit though. 

Right that’s it.