God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

39 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My new favorite quote from Kratos (no story spoilers, just a spoiler of an awesome quote)

Hide contents

Death can have me when it earns me

Mine was

Spoiler

I do not Wish to die, but I also do not wish to live with your death.

(Vanaheim, not necessarily spoilers, but still)

Man the lighting improvements are really underrated here. This has the best lighting Ive seen in a Sony game, so, basically the best non ray traced Ive seen. Definitely seems like the biggest change along with IQ and performance. Though everything is improved here.

• Halal 1

Had errands to do today and so I threw my disc in and started downloading this morning, ready to play now. Go to start the game and get cannot play disc or app error. I guess my HDD was low on space or something but I checked this morning when it “finished” the first time. Says game is like 91GB and mine stopped at 84.6GB 😢 Had to delete original and restart the process., and I’m at 27%

• Sad 1

I finally got to play my game and man am I dying a lot. It’s been a bit since I played GOW and the controls I’m trying to get back into (been Xbox gaming for some time only) So I guess the first little bit and the 

Spoiler

That battle with Thor was intense and finally figured out to deflect/melee/evade technique. Just left off at The Huntress fight and needed a break.

will probably play a bit more tonight after the finale for Interview with the Vampire tonight

• Halal 1

55 minutes ago, legend said:

So the relic summons don't work at all for me. I got my first at that part in the story and in the fight after you get it the tool tip says "hold square to summon" and holding square does absolutely nothing. What gives?

Works for me. I have an eagle that comes in and attacks enemies. I also have an elk that he rides. They don't last long though. It's just quick attacks and dissappear.

How far are you? Im trying not to spoil anything.

I can't wait till people get further and we can at least talk a bit. So damn much going on.

1 hour ago, legend said:

So the relic summons don't work at all for me. I got my first at that part in the story and in the fight after you get it the tool tip says "hold square to summon" and holding square does absolutely nothing. What gives?

You did equip it right?

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Works for me. I have an eagle that comes in and attacks enemies. I also have an elk that he rides. They don't last long though. It's just quick attacks and dissappear.

How far are you? Im trying not to spoil anything.

I can't wait till people get further and we can at least talk a bit. So damn much going on.

29 minutes ago, Dodger said:

You did equip it right?

It was absolutely equipped, I checked a bunch of times to be sure :p It seems I can’t do it when 

Spoiler

I’m Atreus. Once I got back to playing as Kratos holding square made Atreus do it. Which if that’s the case is weird since they explained it when I was Atreus which is pretty bad instruction :/

I'm currently 11 hours in and I am really enjoying it. It does have some pacing issues and a lot of similarities to 2018 but it's still fuckin awesome. 

Spoiler

I actually really enjoyed the parts playing as Atreus tbh. Him turning into a wolf was badass lol. 

The visuals are fantastic minus waterfalls but thats because it's cross gen. Everything else I'm completely satisfied with. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dodger said:

I seem to be stuck

Hide contents

I’m where you first play as Atreus and you have to go through the tree where you wait for dialogue and then the door pops up except the door isn’t popping up after. I just keep running in a loop with no exit

I don't remember that section? Anymore detail?

9 hours ago, Dodger said:

I seem to be stuck

Hide contents

I’m where you first play as Atreus and you have to go through the tree where you wait for dialogue and then the door pops up except the door isn’t popping up after. I just keep running in a loop with no exit

Restart from the checkpoint?

I'm enjoying this so much. Ive been breaking it up with Tactics Ogre Reborn, which is still incredible, and one of the greatest stories ever told in a video game. I forgot how good this truly was, though I've always considered it better than FFT(which is also in my top 25 games).

Anyway, point is I want this experience to last, so im doing a few hours a day at most. I expect it's going to be a very long time before we see Kratos again (unless Sony forces the issue because of huge sales).

I'm close to what feels like the endgame push and... there may be too much in this game? Not in a bad way per se, but it feels like no idea got trimmed during development. I've cleared just about everything as soon as I have the option to do it, and a whole bunch of stuff got barfed back onto the map in places that were previously cleaned up. Oh you thought you were done? Here are a dozen skullfuckers, a half dozen gizmos, etc. Unlike a Bethesda game, most of these things end up giving you insight into something or someone interesting so it's hard to walk away from them.

Also the camera and arenas are in general better than the last game; there's way less of the camera being mashed against the wall while you're fighting nightmares. But there's one enemy type that the camera just straight up cannot keep up with. Most of the time I don't mind, but I'm playing on "give it to me raw" or whatever the hardest default difficulty available from jump is... and there's a boss type of this enemy that can 2 hit KO me and I get railed by offscreen attacks that the POV just cannot manage. I don't mind dying when It's me that can't hang, this one miniboss feels super bad. I could drop the difficulty I guess but that seems cheap.

I thought I had a sense as to where the story was going but I'm less confident now after the last couple beats; I'm really psyched to see what's next.

One question... if you have your block broken and the game goes slo mo for a second... is there a way to recover from that? I'm fighting mini bosses now that triple attack and if I fail the parry on the first shot, I'm absolutely taking the next one in the face unless I'm missing a way to recover?

damn Kal fucking racing to the finish here, I only got up after the end of the second world

where you play as atticus

but Im fucking loving it. 

It’s too bad playing remote play still looks like a video stream as opposed to moonlight on pc which essentially seems native beyond looking better. I’m going to need to wait for tv playing time for most of this one.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

damn Kal fucking racing to the finish here, I only got up after the end of the second world

Hide contents

where you play as atticus

but Im fucking loving it. 

It’s too bad playing remote play still looks like a video stream as opposed to moonlight on pc which essentially seems native beyond looking better. I’m going to need to wait for tv playing time for most of this one.

Please don't edit that typo, lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I don't remember that section? Anymore detail?

I have restarted the check point and reloaded a save from just before with no luck. It's the part 

Spoiler

When you get back from freeing Tyr and Atreus and Sindri are going back to midgard to talk to Freya and you get on the yddrasill tree to travel realms. After the conversation stops no door pops up. I just circle around endlessly and no amount of restarting fixes it.

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I have restarted the check point and reloaded a save from just before with no luck. It's the part 

Reveal hidden contents

When you get back from freeing Tyr and Atreus and Sindri are going back to midgard to talk to Freya and you get on the yddrasill tree to travel realms. After the conversation stops no door pops up. I just circle around endlessly and no amount of restarting fixes it.

How long have you been running? There was one time in that area for me where it look probably 4 minutes for the thing to do the thing.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, I really like the game, but it’s not something I feel compelled to play for hours at a time. After an hour or so, I hit either a nice story beat or the end of a side quest and it feels like a fine place to stop for a while. 

Im basically doing this by choice, but I do know I could play this all day if I wanted to rush.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Unlike a Bethesda game, most of these things end up giving you insight into something or someone interesting so it's hard to walk away from them.

That's what I heard prior to the game's release: one thing multiple reviews praised was the side missions. And I enjoyed them quite a bit in the 2018 game anyway, but I think one reviewer even said they're the one ones he/she played since probably The Witcher 3.

I don't really care if that's true or not, but it did give me an idea that the side missions aren't throwaway at all.

Most of the time I don't mind, but I'm playing on "give it to me raw" or whatever the hardest default difficulty available from jump is

Between this and "fuck women until they cum health orbs" you're on fire recently.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That's what I heard prior to the game's release: one thing multiple reviews praised was the side missions. And I enjoyed them quite a bit in the 2018 game anyway, but I think one reviewer even said they're the one ones he/she played since probably The Witcher 3.

I don't really care if that's true or not, but it did give me an idea that the side missions aren't throwaway at all.

Yeah the side quests are really good here, too. It's not a complaint that there's so many of them here per se? I feel like I got out of GoW wanting more, unless something changes I think I'll get out of this one wanting to put it down for a while. My bias is always toward the former, but that's just me. It's a high class "problem" regardless.

Okay one of the optional fights in this game... it's complete bullshit. I have no idea how you're supposed to do this. I appreciate I'm not at max level and maybe there's more game to go and grind gear than I'd anticipated but... I have absolutely no idea how to handle it. I've beat most of GoW on Give Me God of War and while I haven't cruised through every fight on hard in this game, I can normally handle them after bouncing off them a handful of times tops. This I can't even really make progress, I just die horribly.

I guess I'm just way under leveled for it. Weird.

EDIT - okay I'm under leveled, lol. I dropped the difficulty to Give Me Storytime or whatever and I still got kicked in the groin so hard I puked up my balls, but at least I didn't explode into giblets :p

Okay one of the optional fights in this game... it's complete bullshit. I have no idea how you're supposed to do this. I appreciate I'm not at max level and maybe there's more game to go and grind gear than I'd anticipated but... I have absolutely no idea how to handle it. I've beat most of GoW on Give Me God of War and while I haven't cruised through every fight on hard in this game, I can normally handle them after bouncing off them a handful of times tops. This I can't even really make progress, I just die horribly.

I guess I'm just way under leveled for it. Weird.

EDIT - okay I'm under leveled, lol. I dropped the difficulty to Give Me Storytime or whatever and I still got kicked in the groin so hard I puked up my balls, but at least I didn't explode into giblets :p

Some of the Valkyrie’s in the first were pretty fucking hard.

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah if it wasn’t for my leg (i don’t like to stay out in the living room as long still) and work I could just play this shit non stop. Well, if Sonic didn’t come out too because I really am loving the shit out of that too.

It's really nice having other really good games release with modern aaa games to spread out the gameplay a bit. Especially when its a series you really love. Or forgot how much you loved it, such is my case with Tactics Ogre. 

I really should dig out my cart and see how much it changed from that release to this.

34 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

It's really nice having other really good games release with modern aaa games to spread out the gameplay a bit. Especially when its a series you really love. Or forgot how much you loved it, such is my case with Tactics Ogre. 

I really should dig out my cart and see how much it changed from that release to this.

I agree though it’s almost tough with these two for me, because it’s two drop everything type of releases for me separated by just a day! An actual good 3D Sonic game and a sequel to GOW for me is like if Elden Ring and Zelda BOTW 2 were on the same day or something.