Update (11/17): Knights of the Old Republic Remake (yet again) appears to have become one with the Force (per Jeff Grubb)

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 3 months later...

Summary:

7:59—Action combat is currently looking at God of War and Nioh 2 for inspiration—though that's just one gameplay mode they noted (unclear if there will be others and how they will differ)
9:08—They're staying faithful to the original story except for certain character bio details
9:40—The OG soundtrack will be re-recorded, though it may be "refreshed" like with FF7R
10:26—Swoop racing and Pazaak are returning
12:02—There will be new content. Given point 2, it probably won't be much in the main quest story.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Knights of the Old Republic Remake announced for PS5/PC, update: combat to be action-oriented, looking to God of War and Nioh 2 for "inspiration"

I don't mind real-time combat over turn based at all! The only issue I have with real time combat in RPGs is when they make a party based combo system the sole focus to the point that regular attacks are pointless. I love combos and team combos, but don't make all enemies bullet sponges to justify the combo system.

Not sure how I feel about GoW-like real-time combat for this. I think I'd prefer them to take notes from FF7R, which has a really nice blend of real time with the strategy of the various skills from the slow-mo menu and party commands.

But I'm will to give it a chance if they have something good!

So what they're saying is that they're remaking a beloved RPG but don't trust the RPG-ness of it enough to make it a full-on RPG. I'll be honest, the thought of KOTOR having a GOW or Nioh style combat system doesn't appeal to me very much. I just don't think they'll be able to pull it off. It will either be a shallow button masher or a complicated mess. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

On 1/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am all for a new combat system but I am not sure how GoW or Nioh will translate in a party system. 

I hope they ignore the party element because trying to control a party in action games fucking sucks. Even in FF7R where they did it "best" it was still janky, awkward and felt like some side addition. At most let me assign some key party abilities to some buttons and activate them like they were my own, party switching and giving orders just doesn't work right with action games. At that point it's better to just make them co-op.

I don’t remember needing to switch between characters all that often unless I needed to (1) use their hack or repair ability on something outside of combat, or (2)my character died and it auto switched to somebody else. 

but maybe I’m wrong. I might be, because I also remember setting the game to pause if I did switch characters. So I just have had an occasional other reason. Even if I spent most of the game as my character. 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:22 PM, Xbob42 said:

I hope they ignore the party element because trying to control a party in action games fucking sucks. Even in FF7R where they did it "best" it was still janky, awkward and felt like some side addition. At most let me assign some key party abilities to some buttons and activate them like they were my own, party switching and giving orders just doesn't work right with action games. At that point it's better to just make them co-op.

Kinda like Guardians except not shitty

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I don’t remember needing to switch between characters all that often unless I needed to (1) use their hack or repair ability on something outside of combat, or (2)my character died and it auto switched to somebody else. 

but maybe I’m wrong. I might be, because I also remember setting the game to pause if I did switch characters. So I just have had an occasional other reason. Even if I spent most of the game as my character. 

You usually wouldn't switch to fully control another character in KOTOR, so much as you would switch in the pause, issue commands, and then go back to your main character for the real-time part. This is why I think FF7R would be a really good match for KOTOR, because that's mostly how you control it too -- give commands to teammates, but otherwise control your main character and let the AI handle the basic actions and movement for the other party members.

I mean Mass Effect had already shown how they could take the team based RPG battle system, and bring it into real time. You control Shepherd, but are able to issue commands to your squadmates, and the system kept getting revised with each entry, and all I've heard about Andromeda's combat is that while the rest of the game is subpar, the combat is excellent. KoToR remake could do something similar, no? They would just also need melee combat with the sabers, as well as shooting with the blasters. 

• True 1

12 minutes ago, legend said:

You usually wouldn't switch to fully control another character in KOTOR, so much as you would switch in the pause, issue commands, and then go back to your main character for the real-time part. This is why I think FF7R would be a really good match for KOTOR, because that's mostly how you control it too -- give commands to teammates, but otherwise control your main character and let the AI handle the basic actions and movement for the other party members.

I know it's a traditional thing at this point, but I was listening to a Mass Effect series review the other day and the guy was bitching about how they started disfavoring pausing the game to issue commands, and let you issue them as if they were your own instead, and I thought that was the most bizarre argument I'd ever heard. I've always personally considered pausing real-time combat to issue commands to be a failure of design, a concession, not a sacred cow.

I dunno, something about pausing real-time combat to issue janky commands always seems like a coward's turn-based combat. I found it somewhat okay in Dragon Age Origins, but not much else. FF7R included, it just felt weird to me. It constantly broke the action and felt like a half-step.

I personally always prefer a real-time system where I can, say, hold down left trigger and press face buttons to issue commands to one teammate, and right trigger plus face buttons to issue commands to another. That way they still "feel" different in a way, but don't completely stop the game every time I want to do something. Especially for something like FF7R where you don't even have to place really specific AOE circles/lines.

At risk of repeating myself yet again, I just hope they are able to find a more elegant solution. I don't need endless pew-pew action, but I also don't consider pausing the game to tell someone what to do some height of genius, some peak tactical gameplay.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I know it's a traditional thing at this point, but I was listening to a Mass Effect series review the other day and the guy was bitching about how they started disfavoring pausing the game to issue commands, and let you issue them as if they were your own instead, and I thought that was the most bizarre argument I'd ever heard. I've always personally considered pausing real-time combat to issue commands to be a failure of design, a concession, not a sacred cow.

I dunno, something about pausing real-time combat to issue janky commands always seems like a coward's turn-based combat. I found it somewhat okay in Dragon Age Origins, but not much else. FF7R included, it just felt weird to me. It constantly broke the action and felt like a half-step.

I personally always prefer a real-time system where I can, say, hold down left trigger and press face buttons to issue commands to one teammate, and right trigger plus face buttons to issue commands to another. That way they still "feel" different in a way, but don't completely stop the game every time I want to do something. Especially for something like FF7R where you don't even have to place really specific AOE circles/lines.

At risk of repeating myself yet again, I just hope they are able to find a more elegant solution. I don't need endless pew-pew action, but I also don't consider pausing the game to tell someone what to do some height of genius, some peak tactical gameplay.

It's never bothered me in any of the numerous games I've played that are real time with pause :shrug: Seems like a good way to give you the strategy of a game that might require more possible actions than can be easily mapped to face buttons with some of the action.

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Pausing real time combat makes sense if you're straight up "porting" a pen and paper system a la Baldur's Gate I and II, Iceland Dale, etc. Those systems aren't "real time" literally but involve time passing in specific intervals to do things and there's just too much going on when you're controlling 6 PCs facing 10+ enemies. Other than that, I think it makes much more sense to design a real time combat system that doesn't require that.

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Pausing real time combat makes sense if you're straight up "porting" a pen and paper system a la Baldur's Gate I and II, Iceland Dale, etc. Those systems aren't "real time" literally but involve time passing in specific intervals to do things and there's just too much going on when you're controlling 6 PCs facing 10+ enemies. Other than that, I think it makes much more sense to design a real time combat system that doesn't require that.

I mean that's what KOTOR was too, right?

56 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Was it this one?

It was! To be honest, while I've got nothing against the guy, I'm not really sure why I watched this one. If I had a nickel for every time a monotone British video game reviewer on Youtube moaned about "meaningful choices" or "immersion" I'd be rich. Like, as someone who also has a very specific taste, I get it, but at the same time I just get really irritated at hearing the same thing over and over. Sometimes you gotta accept a game for what it is, not what you think it should've been. Or just move on.

Or maybe it's because I also watched his Morrowind review and he gushed about how amazing it was that the world was boring and ugly and empty because it felt like you could really live there as though it were a second world, while he then complained about being attacked by an enemy every 15 steps. I've been watching a lot of these types of reviews lately and I'm 100% convinced that a monotone British critic's perfect game would be set in the year 1100 where nothing happens but you have absolute freedom to make a bunch of janky choices that don't matter but have paragraphs of text for each one.

47 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I thought it was based on DND d20x whereas the old infinity engine games were a more literal take on advanced dnd 2nd Ed rules. I could be wrong though. 

But they're both pen and paper RPGs. The combat in KOTOR makes a lot more sense when you realize there's a bunch of hidden dice rolls going on behind the scenes.