Update (11/17): Knights of the Old Republic Remake (yet again) appears to have become one with the Force (per Jeff Grubb)

Commissar SFLUFAN

12 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Pausing real time combat makes sense if you're straight up "porting" a pen and paper system a la Baldur's Gate I and II, Iceland Dale, etc. Those systems aren't "real time" literally but involve time passing in specific intervals to do things and there's just too much going on when you're controlling 6 PCs facing 10+ enemies. Other than that, I think it makes much more sense to design a real time combat system that doesn't require that.

Why does the source material matter? If the resulting gameplay is fun then other games can adopt it too regardless of whether they're adapting the same kind of source material; and if the resulting gameplay isn't fun, then you have a bad game that isn't worth playing or porting and the source material won't change that.

1 hour ago, legend said:

Why does the source material matter? If the resulting gameplay is fun then other games can adopt it too regardless of whether they're adapting the same kind of source material; and if the resulting gameplay isn't fun, then you have a bad game that isn't worth playing or porting and the source material won't change that.

If they want to change things up they should just make a KOTOR 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legend said:

I’m probably not explaining myself well.

Something like Dragon Age Origins works because even though there are dice rolls, real time combat you can pause, etc., it really feels as though it’s designed as a videogame first. Games like Baldur’s Gate I and II work because they’re using a vetted rule set that’s adapted digitally as literally as possible. I think both of those games/series have aged relatively well (even though I acknowledge that someone without pen and paper RPG experience will go into Baldur’s Gate I and II and likely have a MISERABLE time since they’re so much more rigid than modern videogames and honestly modern pen and paper RPGs as well).

To me, KOTOR combat has always felt like a weird hedge between where BioWare came from and where it ended up. I kinda feel that way about the first Mass Effect as well, though it obviously leans more towards videogames whereas KOTOR leans more towards tabletop. It’s not that KOTOR doesn’t WORK, it’s 100% a vibe thing for me.

… I don’t know if that helps at all. :p

24 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Something like Dragon Age Origins works because even though there are dice rolls, real time combat you can pause, etc., it really feels as though it’s designed as a videogame first. Games like Baldur’s Gate I and II work because they’re using a vetted rule set that’s adapted digitally as literally as possible. I think both of those games/series have aged relatively well (even though I acknowledge that someone without pen and paper RPG experience will go into Baldur’s Gate I and II and likely have a MISERABLE time since they’re so much more rigid than modern videogames and honestly modern pen and paper RPGs as well).

To me, KOTOR combat has always felt like a weird hedge between where BioWare came from and where it ended up. I kinda feel that way about the first Mass Effect as well, though it obviously leans more towards videogames whereas KOTOR leans more towards tabletop. It’s not that KOTOR doesn’t WORK, it’s 100% a vibe thing for me.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That might help :p It sounds like you're saying you felt like KOTOR lacked a clear vision about what kind of game mechanics it wanted to have and ultimately compromised between different visions, rather than choosing one. Is that right?

I don't think I really felt like it compromised myself, but I can understand that view better.

8 minutes ago, legend said:

That might help :p It sounds like you're saying you felt like KOTOR lacked a clear vision about what kind of game mechanics it wanted to have and ultimately compromised between different visions, rather than choosing one. Is that right?

I don't think I really felt like it compromised myself, but I can understand that view better.

Yeah that’s more or less where I land. 

DA:O feels like a video game. BG I and II feel like digital versions of pen and paper RPGs. KOTOR feels like a hedge. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Nobody cares about 2. KotOR is one of the most important games of that decade. I'd be fine with a KotOR 2 remake, but definitely not over the original. 

KOTOR II is so very superior to the first game when the "complete" version is played that it's not even a comparison.

• Confused 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

KOTOR II is so very superior to the first game when the "complete" version is played that it's not even a comparison.

And you can tell that the Nihilus fight is right about when Obsidian got told to just ship whatever they had, given how anticlimactic just taking his mask and leaving was after all the buildup.

The game reaches way higher highs than the first game. Nothing from the first game is as memorable as being inserted onto Onderon in the middle of a civil war breaking out in the old Mandalorian war droid and both sides freaking out at the sight of the droid and it turning into a three-way free-for-all clusterfuck. The fact that Obsidian wasn't allowed to finish the game is the only reason it's not talked about the same way as the first game but given the highs they managed to reach in the gimped version, a finished version clearly would have eclipsed the first game.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The fan reconstruction to get closer to the "complete" version is better than the shipped version, but it still feels very unfinished. I'd say 2 very clearly had the potential to be better, but still falls short because of the incompleteness.

2 hours ago, legend said:

The fan reconstruction to get closer to the "complete" version is better than the shipped version, but it still feels very unfinished. I'd say 2 very clearly had the potential to be better, but still falls short because of the incompleteness.

Which is why a remake that includes all of the planned content is more needed than a KOTOR 1 remake.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Which is why a remake that includes all of the planned content is more needed than a KOTOR 1 remake.

People want a remake of 1 far more than 2. If you polled it on a large gaming news site, it wouldn't be close.

The idea that 2 is better "if you include all the stuff we didn't get in its original release" doesn't hold up.

Personally, if I was going to ask for part 2 of something, it would be Jade Empire :pray:

13 hours ago, Jason said:

Perhaps, but it would be weird to start with a full KOTOR 2 remake instead of a KOTOR 1 remake. Seems like they should just do both and then do a proper third!

• 3 months later...

Saber Interactive joins development of Star Wars KOTOR remake (Eurogamer)

Evil Dead developer Saber Interactive has joined up with Aspyr to work on the upcoming Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake.

During the Q4 Embracer Group report, board member Matthew Karch revealed that Aspyr and Saber Interactive were now working together on the remake, calling it a "massive product".

"Aspyr has gone full in to make this the best game that they can make. When we acquired Aspyr, we knew from the start that they would require our assistance [and] Saber has tremendous expertise in creating these types of products," he said.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Knights of the Old Republic Remake (PC/PS5, Asypr Media) - Information Thread, update: Saber Interactive joins development team
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Knights of the Old Republic Remake (PC/PS5, Asypr Media) - Information Thread, update: "delayed indefinitely" due to studio turmoil
54 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Who among us could've guessed that entrusting a project of this scope and scale to a developer whose entire portfolio consists of Mac and mobile ports of older titles could've led to this outcome.

Who among us indeed?

I would have really enjoyed a FF7R style remake of KOTOR, but I guess they were not the ones to do that anyway though.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Who among us could've guessed that entrusting a project of this scope and scale to a developer whose entire portfolio consists of Mac and mobile ports of older titles could've led to this outcome.

Who among us indeed?

Stick with me. I had no faith from the beginning!

• Haha 1

Another cautionary tale: They know what we love, and they really want our money. This adds up to plenty of projects that are nothing more than nostalgia mirages.  As gamers, our policy should be a big old wait and see approach regarding resurrected legends.