Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Those are actually well integrated in to the game and story and aren't that frequent to be an issue.

Spoiler

I hate not being the main character. Even in TW3. Ciri's parts were cool, but I rather have just been Geralt the entire time. There are a few exceptions I am sure. Such as the time you played as Joker

6 hours ago, legend said:

Won't happen today, because I've still got other games taking my time in addition to working longer hours per week. But rest assured it won't be too long!

I'm hesitant on Bloodborne. DS didn't do anything for me, but I've been enjoying a bunch of harder action games lately, like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells. Bloodborne might be different enough from DS in all the right ways that I end up loving it. I'll probably give it a try once I have the system, but it won't be high priority.

LG is indeed also my list, being that I was massive fan of Ico. I haven't played any of the Persona games, but the love it gets does pique my interest.

It has a significantly more offensive style than Souls from my experience with the DS series (I've played part of 1 and all of 2, which is why I'm interested in the DS compilation later this year) and a really fantastic, brooding art direction.

I don't know what you didn't and did like about Souls, but I know plenty who like DS/love BB, love all, or disliked Souls but Bloodborne really worked for them. So it's possible! It's my GOTG, which I was not expecting going into it.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Spent the day playing... man this game is awesome. Great original take on the Spiderman lore... and the gameplay and combat is really deep.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Same here. I misjudged the combat early on as it gets way better.

Combat is the best part of the game. Nothing better than dropping in on some baddies and pulling off a sweet move set that just fucks up their day. :lol:

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The story is pretty good too so far. Marvel now has their answer to the Arkham Games.

Never enjoyed the Batman games. But Spider-Man is super fun. It has much better combat mechanics and traveling is a joy. Swinging through the city never gets old. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Never enjoyed the Batman games. But Spider-Man is super fun. It has much better combat mechanics and traveling is a joy. Swinging through the city never gets old. 

I knew the traversal gameplay was gonna be fun... been playing Sunset Overdrive recently in pop preparation for this and the traversal gameplay in that game is top knotch.

23 hours ago, legend said:

Alright. I was already pretty interested in the game since it was announced, but its high quality reviews to confirm make this the game that that broke the camel's back. GoW, Spiderman, HZD, UC, RDR*, and eventually TLoU2 are enough quality exclusives. I'm getting a PS4 (Pro). The question now is just how soon.

*Exclusive in so far as it's not on PC or Switch.

BLOODBORNE, motherfucker!

This game really nailed the essence of being spider-man. Swinging through the city feels so fluid and fun. I’m not too far in, but I can’t wait to unlock the skill that allows you to do tricks while swinging. I upgraded some other stuff first. 

Game is beautiful. On par with The Division’s imagining of NYC. 

Im only about 2 maybe 3 hrs in,  but I’m not 100% sold on the combat. Feels very repetitive and button mashy. I’m hoping that changes with more gadgets to add to the mix. Definitely very similar to the Batman games. 

Overall a a solid game so far. Once the BFV beta ends, I’m going to devote more time to it. 

UK charts: Spider-Man is fastest-selling game of the year

PS4 exclusive Spider-Man is the fastest-selling game of 2018 so far.

It narrowly beat previous record-holder Far Cry 5 (which was available on more platforms), and sold almost double that of the previous biggest exclusive of the year - God of War on PS4.

Not only that, but it's the fastest-selling Marvel-branded game in history, beating previous title LEGO Marvel Super Heroes by a big margin.

It's also the fastest selling individual format game since the PS4 version of Call of Duty: WWII in November last year. Spider-Man is the latest in a long-line of hit PS4 exclusive single-player games.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I remember in the E3 vid with the dev commentary, the devs said that Marvel made a big deal that if Spidey knocks a bad guy off a ledge he automatically webs them so they don’t fall to their deaths... I guess the feature didn’t make it into the final build. :p 

I have seen it happen once or twice. Most times though... he Batmans the shit out of them. :p

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I remember in the E3 vid with the dev commentary, the devs said that Marvel made a big deal that if Spidey knocks a bad guy off a ledge he automatically webs them so they don’t fall to their deaths... I guess the feature didn’t make it into the final build. :p 

It did and he does. Not quite in the manner that was shown in the demo though where he's making an immediate, concerted effort to do so. I was thinking the same thing, that he was knocking them off. Then I watch one fly off towards another building, see a bunch of Web explode and pin the guy to the side of the building. Lol.  Don't ask me how they're getting him down. 

On 9/8/2018 at 4:09 AM, Brick said:

Goddamn it I hate YouTube sometimes! Scrolling through and I see "_____ Boss Fight"; wow, thanks for ruining that character being in the game for me asswipe! 

Yeah. Will have to be careful cause they ruining of God of War happened the same way to me cause of you tube, SMH!!!

1 minute ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Yeah. Will have to be careful cause they ruining of God of War happened the same way to me cause of you tube, SMH!!!

YouTube needs some sort of spoiler filter so that uploaders can mark their videos as spoilers to avoid this somehow. Not sure how it would work, but it'd be nice not to see a thumbnail with something I wish I hadn't seen. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

YouTube needs some sort of spoiler filter so that uploaders can mark their videos as spoilers to avoid this somehow. Not sure how it would work, but it'd be nice not to see a thumbnail with something I wish I hadn't seen. 

Agreed 100% They can definitely do more to police this type if shit than they actually do now.

55 minutes ago, johnny said:

Does anybody like a lot of the suits? I’ve been rolling with the advanced suit and the iron spidey suit mostly. The other ones I have unlocked so far just look unnatural for this world (besides the regular one) 

Haven't gotten the game yet, but I have to say the Insomniac suit has grown on me. It looks like it got the most attention put into it (which makes sense given that it's the featured suit), and even the classic suit looks too plain in comparison.

6 hours ago, johnny said:

Does anybody like a lot of the suits? I’ve been rolling with the advanced suit and the iron spidey suit mostly. The other ones I have unlocked so far just look unnatural for this world (besides the regular one) 

I’ve been using the all black with red spider logo suit. It’s pretty menacing looking.

A coworker asked if I had played this game yet.  He loved the game and brought up the puddle conspiracy. It's crazy that that became a widely known thing.  He said it was bullshit and said it was the best looking game ever.  

Which I thought was cool, because he doesn't exaggerate video game stuff.  Apple products on the other hand.....

I spent all weekend playing and there's a very good chance this is my GOTY, and it pretty much boils down to how freaking fun this game is. I think God of War felt like an evolution of open world game design. The story flowed much more naturally, as did the progression. They dramatically limited the amount of stuff to do, but in service of making a game where nothing felt out of place. Loading screens were carefully hidden and the camera felt like a physical object in the world.

Spider-Man didn't pay attention to any of those advances, instead falling into line with it's more direct predecessors. There are towers that unlock the map and a million side quests that add nothing to the lore of Spider-Man or NYC. A lot of these diversions are goofy, giving into the more slapstick and silly tendencies of the character. This is a game that borrows heavily and often from Batman and GTA and Ubisoft's lineup of open world games.

None of that means it's a step backward though, because it's all so much fun to do stuff. The highlight is obviously the web slinging. Traveling around the map in Spider-Man is an unparalleled joy. The density of missions is wonderful because you're always going somewhere, and it's so fitting with the character that he gets sidetracked to do something random to help out. I loved the feeling of going to another story mission and forgetting where I was going because I got distracted by a pigeon or a crime in progress. The traversal system is an astounding achievement, and if the game nailed nothing but that, it would be a must buy.

Thankfully, that's not all it got right. I love the combat. I'll admit that I'm generally not one to get deep into combat systems. I often end up doing some amount of button mashing in one of the Arkham or God of War games. I know there are combos, and I do some of them, but my combat style ends up being very repetitive and kind of boring. I found that not to be the case with Spider-Man. There aren't that many kinds of moves to master, and they all have such a unique purpose that I found that I was pretty much always doing exactly what I was trying to do. My skills in combat really evolved over my playtime, using more and more skills and gadgets, and generally finding myself well in control of the battlefield. I'm not sure if it's the move set, the mechanics, the relative simplicity, or what, but the end result is that I had more fun in combat in Spider-Man than any game since HZD, and it's easily my favorite brawler style combat ever.

There are little things to nit pick here and there. The game transitions to specific times of day for specific missions. So you might be late to see Aunt May that evening and stop to help out a stranger for a mission that takes place in the middle of the day or in the dead of night, only to have it transition back to sunset when you're done. There are too many loading screens and some of the mini games are not only easy, but boring. Speaking of boring, there are a few sequences where you're powerless that really broke up the pacing of the game and felt unnecessary. I also found it slightly annoying that you had to be looking at a baddie to trigger certain abilities. So I could swing over to a perch right over a bad guy and try and web him up, but even knowing he's there I'd have to get the camera right before I could do so. Sometimes when right above a guy it was difficult to get it exactly right.

Still, those are tiny issues in a game that is largely best in class. It's gorgeous and well written with great voice acting and superb animations. More than anything else though, it's just fun to be Spider-Man.

• Like 1