Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thanks. I'm starting to take some critical steps toward recovery, so I hope I get better. Most days, I'm okay, it's just the last couple weeks have been tough. Shit happens and it spirals and when you're depressed, it seems like it doesn't take much to send you into a spiral.

I feel ya. Depression sucks. Just try and surround yourself with people who understand and love you. Hope you come out of it fast. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I finally started the game last night, but only played through the opening. 

It's been a rough going this week for me, so I'm not really enjoying it like I probably should. Depression can really suck the fun out of things.

Hope you can get better as soon as you can and to get out of that depression funk. We need you to be good and selfishly, I just want more praise for Spidey. But please take care of yourself. 

• Thanks 1

I’m 27% done already, which is crazy bc I don’t feel like I played that long. But my son (who sits and patiently waits for me to hand over the controller to him) and my wife are telling me otherwise. I guess that’s a testament to how fun this game is!

As everyone mentioned, traversing the city is so much fun. I get a giant shit eating grin as soon as that music kicks in. Then I’m swinging and dive bombing and flipping around (i know i have the grin bc my dog sits and judges me. It only happens every so often when I’m really into a game, but she will stare at me with a “dude wtf r u doing bro” look on her face).  

The combat is waaaaaay better now that I’m further along into the game. I definitely mashed the buttons in the first hour or so, but as @Biggie said, it was a quick way to die. So i took my time to learn the mechanics and read the moves list. There’s nothing better than swinging in on a crime and just bombing right into the middle and wrecking dudes. Love it. I really love the super that comes on the classic suit that slings the web all round. It’s almost OP. By the time I’m done, half the enemies are webbed up on the walls. Lol. 

My few issues are that there are times when I’m climbing a wall and feel like I’m stuck and can’t pop off, esp when the camera gets a little wonky. Also sometimes when running up a wall and then start falling off when i think I should be on. Not sure why I’m doing that. 

The open world is beautiful and huge and there’s lots to do....but they’re all spelled out for you with icons. And it’s all standard fare that we’ve seen in other open worlds. Climb tower, unlock view with icons. Go to icons. Collect reward. Although the little bit of lore with the backpacks are a nice touch. I just wish there was more to actually discover. More hidden areas with unique fights or bosses or items to find. Maybe there is, but in my 6-8ish hours I haven’t come across any. 

Ive has a few technical issues as well. Crashed on me once. Sometimes going up to towers, it won’t allow me to activate. So I leave, clear a backpack or something then go back and it works. I also completely lost my save. Booted up and nothing was there. Luckily it was in the cloud and I didn’t lose anything. 

Overall...excellent game. Super fun. Story is decent. Mechanics are great. Open world is ok. I don’t think it will top GoW as my GOTY, but it’s feather in Sony’s cap for delivering yet another stellar exclusive. 

• Like 1

Just beat it at 91% (left some crime missions for an excuse to go in as I wait for dlc) and man they fucking nailed this. After seeing the ending and all, I can say for sure this is by far the best Spider-man movie. And yeah, some of the best mechanics you can play. There better be a sequel.

Spider-man 2 has long been one of my favorite games because it was just so fun to swing around. I suffered through terrible sequel after terrible sequel over the last almost decade and a half. Hoping a game would match that and get it right again. When I first heard Sony was going to make a Spider-man game made by Insomniac, the best developer for the job, it seemed like such a pipe dream come true. I was sold as soon as I just heard that. So the best thing I can say about this game is it still exceeded my expectations. If GOW didn’t exist, this would be my GOTY so far.

36 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@stepee

where does it rate, your opinion, amongst the Arkham games?

It’s kind of not fair because I feel that spider-man is an inherently more fun character to play as. 

I did find it slightly odd some of the critism that it received that Arkham seems immune to. There isn’t enough of Peter Parker! Eh, first off that is incorrect if you beat the game and secondly Peter is present aproximentaly 500x more than Bruce is in arkham.

Secondly, the city is full of animation but there isn’t much depth. Ok, I feel that, I think a lot of that is hardware limitations. But! Arkham conviently gets rid of all citizens via narrative, at least there ARE people here.

Beyond that the combat is simply better. Not just because how smooth it is in comparison, but also how fast it is in comparison. I always hated knife enemy’s in arkham, honestly the fights ended up being work some times. Not the case in spider-man, it’s always fun and you have a lot of options that are quick and feel good.

Story wise, the story makes sense and is memorable and elevated the franchise. Arkham..does anyone remember much of that? idk.

Anyway, ya, I like it more. 

• Like 2

I just finished the game. Purely amazing. There has only been one game before this where I have said the game gets everything right from story, graphics, music, gameplay, proper challenge, and just gets a player involved so emotionally thru every tick of the game. That game was Metal Gear Solid 3. I think I can honestly put Spider-Man in that rare air where a game just does everything right. 

The best thing to me is that the game gave a fantastic ending with closure. The comic book fan in me knows the little things they dropped in there for a next Spider-Man game but it wasn't this left hanging end or ambiguous finish. The player got a proper sense of accomplishment and a story with proper closure. And to me I can name a ton of games that are excellent but the story can be soured with an ambiguous end and I think we all can name one game like that.

This is a beautiful work of art. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Just beat it at 91% (left some crime missions for an excuse to go in as I wait for dlc) and man they fucking nailed this. After seeing the ending and all, I can say for sure this is by far the best Spider-man movie. And yeah, some of the best mechanics you can play. There better be a sequel.

We better get a sequel but they can take their time as well to make sure we get a sequel that is just as good as this game.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Cool. 

These some long ass credits, lol.

The post credit scene was perfect. Not too much but enough for players that cared about the story. 

Spoiler

I seriously thought we were going to see more of the Green Goblin suit, his sky jet, and gadgets that would be a lead in to sequel but we got Norman actually caring about Harry which really caught me off guard but it felt right. Then of course, the touching of the glass. Very interesting.  

Again, Insomniac can take their time with the sequel. A lot of love, care, and attention went into this game and the same needs to done with the next game. 

I cannot wait to finish the rest of the city missions and you better believe I will be buying the season pass for this gem. 

Alright, I love the web sligging/traversal in this game. I want to make that clear before I say this... Spider-Man 2 PS2 had better web sligging. There, I said it. BOTH ARE GREAT, but, SM2 had superior control. For instance, Spider-Man could hang-on to the web until you had him let go on PS2, even if there was zero momentum, then you could rock back and forth to rebuild momentum. On PS4, he automatically lets go. You could also have a web shot from each arm on PS2 and use it “slingshot” yourself, or just websling around without jumping between each swing.

Again, the PS4 game’s web sligging is FANTASTIC, BUT, Treyarch did just ever so slightly better.

I await your angry replies. :sun: