Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

While playing Spider-man I keep thinking about the first Assassin's Creed.

The first reason I keep thinking about it is obvious. The last time I felt so excited by just getting around a game was 2007 with that first AC. Obviously there are significant differences, but as clunky as AC could be at times, was a revelation. It felt like I could really go anywhere, and be awesome while doing it. More than just the ability to go anywhere, I actually wanted to. I wanted to run seamlessly around the city and parkour up buildings, escaping from the hapless guards. It felt like a rare opportunity to be as cool as I wanted the character to be, to move as fluidly as they might in cutscenes, but to do so in real time.

The other reason that I keep thinking about Assassin's Creed is it has something that Spider-man really lacks: improvisation. Spider-man is very old school in its approach to completing goals and boss battles. There's a prescribed way to do things. In some encounters you can decide to take out a bunch of enemies in stealth or not, but even that has its limits. In one recurring circumstance you can clear out a whole wave of baddies stealthily, but the next wave will automatically appear and know exactly where you are. In other scenarios stealth is essential, and there's no salvaging the situation if you're seen at all, you just re-try the mission. When you're in a brawl, it's all good. There are a so many abilities, environmental elements, gadgets, and suit powers that you'll never use them all in one combat scenario. You can rely heavily on webbing or almost forego it entirely. Strip enemies of their weapons or turn them into projectiles. Outside the combat itself, the only real choices you make in Spider-man are the order to do missions in.

The game gets away with it because it's so fun to fight and fly around the city. Peter's always making jokes and running into familiar characters and the whole world does a wonderful job at feeling alive. It's an incredible game all told, but I hope that the sequel sees a bit more improvisation make its way in. Spider-man, of all characters, should be right at home salvaging a situation where things don't go according to plan, so I hope they go more in that direction now that they've nailed the fundamentals. It's an evolution we've seen from Solid Snake, so hopefully we'll see it here next.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I love this game so damn much. At 75% now (finished all the side stuff so far besides a few crime missions so most of that which is left should be story) and I’m still so addicted to it.

I know right. It’s my GOTY.  I hit 20% last night and the combat just gets better and better. It never gets old traveling around the city or taking down bad guys. 

I was suppose to watch the double header of Monday Night Football. I thought I would play Spider-Man for the Lions halftime show and ended up never turning my PS4 off cause this game is so damn good.

I'm very proficient in my fighting and swinging. I don't want to spoil but there is a side mission I completed where you have to be very good at swinging to complete all the objectives and not only was it and major accomplishment but it was fun. 

Then I think I have found my favorite suit. Again, another side mission has to be completed but I'm glad I did it. I wanted to complete it for the story piece within this side mission but the reward was the costume and DAMN it's smooth. 

The story just keeps me engaged. Every time I think something maybe wrapping up, another element opens up. Also amazed at how varied the little crimes are. Some do repeat but definitely not as much as previous Spidey games. The variety does keep it fresh. 

Such a good game so far. I can easily see myself getting the season pass for this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndrewDean84 said:

I'm liking it. But it does seem like another Batman Arkham City. Not a bad thing, just not very original.

See, I didn’t have fun playing Batman AC. Spidey is just a joy to swing around the city and complete tasks. The combat gets much better the more gadgets and move sets you unlock. 

3 hours ago, Littleronin said:

I am really liking the look of the Classic Suit while playing. Just something about the art style while in the world. 

You mean the insomniac suit with the white spider logo and trim? That’s what I like wearing. Or are you talking about the regular suit with the black spider logo?

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The combat at the start is a little weird. Before stuff gets real, you’re fighting normal ass goons. I know a game has gotta be a game, but it’s thematically bizarre for Spidey to have to punch scrubs 7 times before they eat it. Maybe it’s different on the lower difficulty levels. 

You make this complaint every time you play as a protagonist who's not a poindexter. Watch a Spider-Man film if you want to see things go down easily.