Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Alright, I love the web sligging/traversal in this game. I want to make that clear before I say this... Spider-Man 2 PS2 had better web sligging. There, I said it. BOTH ARE GREAT, but, SM2 had superior control. For instance, Spider-Man could hang-on to the web until you had him let go on PS2, even if there was zero momentum, then you could rock back and forth to rebuild momentum. On PS4, he automatically lets go. You could also have a web shot from each arm on PS2 and use it “slingshot” yourself, or just websling around without jumping between each swing.

Again, the PS4 game’s web sligging is FANTASTIC, BUT, Treyarch did just ever so slightly better.

I await your angry replies. :sun: 

@Kal-El814 would agree with you. 

• Guillotine 1

On 9/12/2018 at 7:35 AM, AndrewDean84 said:

So your position is, he can't be super strong in combat, because he can't be. 

Again, this isnt only a slight issue with Spider-Man. It's an issue with a lot of these types of games, unless the narrative has given a reason why, which this game hasn't.  

Look, I like the game.  Its beautiful.  It's actually pretty funny too.  But let's not act like perfect and can't have small things talked about.  

Does the narrative in games explain why characters like Nathan Drake or Lara Croft or other non superpowered protagonists routinely shrug off wounds that would maim, kill or permanently cripple a normal human being? There's certain license that devs take for gameplay reasons to make a compelling game from a gameplay standpoint that may not always be consistent with the narrative aspect. Once you identify what those are, you move on a play the game. This isn't a new issue and has been around for as long as games have been a thing.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Alright, I love the web sligging/traversal in this game. I want to make that clear before I say this... Spider-Man 2 PS2 had better web sligging. There, I said it. BOTH ARE GREAT, but, SM2 had superior control. For instance, Spider-Man could hang-on to the web until you had him let go on PS2, even if there was zero momentum, then you could rock back and forth to rebuild momentum. On PS4, he automatically lets go. You could also have a web shot from each arm on PS2 and use it “slingshot” yourself, or just websling around without jumping between each swing.

Again, the PS4 game’s web sligging is FANTASTIC, BUT, Treyarch did just ever so slightly better.

As much as I love Spider-Man on PS4, I agree. Spider-Man 2 really had the best swinging mechanic and that's not taking anything away from this game but just as you mentioned, Spidey had extra controls in that game. I still judge all Spider-Man games ability to move based on the ps2 version. The PS4 version has has the best mechanic since but those little things do edge out Spider-Man 2.

Come at me as well, lol.

• Thanks 1

It's been something like 14 years since I played Spider Man 2, but I think you guys are crazy if you think the swinging mechanic worked better in that game than it does this one. If nothing else, this one does a much better job of seeming to actually attach to something. I imagine it still cheats sometimes, but the old game would let you swing above the building around you. Spider-Man 2 was a great game for it's time, but I don't think it really compares.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's been something like 14 years since I played Spider Man 2, but I think you guys are crazy if you think the swinging mechanic worked better in that game than it does this one. If nothing else, this one does a much better job of seeming to actually attach to something. I imagine it still cheats sometimes, but the old game would let you swing above the building around you. Spider-Man 2 was a great game for it's time, but I don't think it really compares.

Uhh, SM2 required you to be attached to something and never cheated, you could actually see the webbing strand hanging after you let go in SM2. I recently replayed it earlier this year. I have no idea what game you are thinking of, but it’s not SM2 on PS2.

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I was going to make this same point. Also I don't think you could chain as many moves to keep your momentum going in that game as you can in this one. Maybe my playing Sunset Overdrive prepared me for the traversal philosophy in this game, but I definitely don't think Spiderman 2, as good as it was, compares to this game.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was going to make this same point. Also I don't think you could chain as many moves to keep your momentum going in that game as you can in this one. Maybe my playing Sunset Overdrive prepared me for the traversal philosophy in this game, but I definitely don't think Spiderman 2, as good as it was, compares to this game.

The PS2 SM2 would not allow you to swing above buildings and also allowed you to combo moves to build momentum. You are both wrong and probably thinking of the POS sequel. :p 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I can’t really argue this because they are both fantastic and Spider-man 2 is one of my all time favorite games. I don’t exactly disagree especially the moves you mentioned which I did miss (also charging up the super jump as you run up a wall to leap high off of it) but I think it comes down to preference. I played a bit of 2 a couple days ago and while it does some things better as you mentioned I think I still prefer the new swinging just because it feels faster, smoother, and easier to move around and look cool.

They obviously took a lot from Spider-man 2 so I think this is still good critism because hopefully these are moves they will add to the sequel which would then make it absolutely perfect.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I can’t really argue this because they are both fantastic and Spider-man 2 is one of my all time favorite games. I don’t exactly disagree especially the moves you mentioned which I did miss (also charging up the super jump as you run up a wall to leap high off of it) but I think it comes down to preference. I played a bit of 2 a couple days ago and while it does some things better as you mentioned I think I still prefer the new swinging just because it feels faster, smoother, and easier to move around and look cool.

They obviously took a lot from Spider-man 2 so I think this is still good critism because hopefully these are moves they will add to the sequel which would then make it absolutely perfect.

I’m not saying that PS4’s is bad by any means! I’m just saying that Treyarch did it a little bit better, especially being able to shoot from either hand. I disagree that the PS4 games allows you to go faster, check the vids I posted: some of the skills allowing you to build more speed don’t unlock until later in the game, though.

Also, don’t get me wrong: the PS4 SM game is the better game overall, but, if the PS SM web sligging is a 9.8/10, the PS2 is a 10/10 is all I’m saying. :sun: 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I just mean the overall feel of it, to me. Trust me, I’ve played a lot of 2! I’d probably just rate them both 9.8. But I feel ya, can’t wait to see what they add to the sequel to make it a 10 :D

For me, the overall feel of 2 is better as you can casually go arm to arm with the web-slinging which Spider-Man does sometimes, or you can do "speed speed speed" with jumping/flinging/ziplining between slings if you're trying to go all crazy. On PS4 SM you kind of only have the one option... if that makes sense? Also, being able to hold a web shot from both arms pull yourself back and slingshot across the city was suuuuuuper-epic. Insomniac did a great job of having Spider-Man do auto-acrobatics around obstacles so you don't ever get "stuck", though! :sun: 

32 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I watched the video in this article and they show swinging above buildings, but I guess that footage is from Spider-Man 2002. My bad.

If you're talking about at 1:33, that's with the web-slinging set to "easy mode" where it would automatically sling you and felt like crap. In the other (proper) setting, you had to stick the web to something. Many people would switch it to the easy mode as a "cheat" to make the Green Goblin fight (as depicted at that point in the vid) easier, otherwise you had to time your web-sling to latch on to the robotic gliders. :hug: 

21 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

So is it worth it to spend the time before diving into missions and knock out the towers to clear the map?

I started by taking a tour of the map, knocking out most of the towers and a few missions of various types along the way. It ended up being a good amount of game time, and I think it was worth it because I never felt in need of tokens as I progressed, and it took a big chunk of the seemingly endless amount of stuff everywhere. Even with how much I cleared, I still had more than enough to distract me while I ran around the map doing story missions.

You unlock other types of side missions as you progress, so even if you cleared the map before the first story mission, you'd still end up with plenty to do.