Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

Just now, AndrewDean84 said:

More like, I have super strength, so why can't I punch a regular dude in the stomach once. 

"Why is the game challenging my skills? Why can't I just press Square and dispatch everyone at once?"

1 minute ago, AndrewDean84 said:

You really are sensitive to slight criticism for this game.

Are there any other posts where I'm "sensitive" ITT to criticism? Notice how I gave no pushback to the idea that the lab missions are the weakest parts of the game. It's almost as if that's a complaint that makes sense. 

I love it when people become sensitive to criticism of their posts. Sounds like you're engaging in a little projection since you're sensitive to being called out for trolling and that maybe your criticism is weaksauce. :thinking:  

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

"Why is the game challenging my skills? Why can't I just press Square and dispatch everyone at once?"

Are there any other posts where I'm "sensitive" ITT to criticism? Notice how I gave no pushback to the idea that the lab missions are the weakest parts of the game. It's almost as if that's a complaint that makes sense. 

I love it when people become sensitive to criticism of their posts. Sounds like you're engaging in a little projection since you're sensitive to being called out for trolling and that maybe your criticism is weaksauce. :thinking:  

Yeah, that's a dumb response to questioning why a regular dude takes 6 hits to put down by a super hero with super strength. 

It's not a matter of difficulty.  The games combat is simple, and not in a bad way. I haven't felt challenged by the game yet.

Yeah, that's a dumb response to questioning why a regular dude takes 6 hits to put down by a super hero with super strength. 

No, it's a sensible response; you're not going to take down people in a game like this with one hit. If you want to see that, there are plenty of Spider-Man movies where Spidey does that that'll fill all your wishes.

If you can't handle a little criticism to your criticism, then perhaps start a blog and disable the comments. Or tweet and just block people who disagree.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

No, it's a sensible response; you're not going to take down people in a game like this with one hit. If you want to see that, there are plenty of Spider-Man movies where Spidey does that that'll fill all your wishes.

If you can't handle a little criticism to your criticism, then perhaps start a blog and disable the comments. Or tweet and just block people who disagree.

So your position is, he can't be super strong in combat, because he can't be. 

Again, this isnt only a slight issue with Spider-Man. It's an issue with a lot of these types of games, unless the narrative has given a reason why, which this game hasn't.  

Look, I like the game.  Its beautiful.  It's actually pretty funny too.  But let's not act like perfect and can't have small things talked about.  

44 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, you fuckers are so goddamned  sensitive, Jesus Christ. I can’t make a casually critical observation about a game I really enjoy that I’ll log a few dozen hours in without the implication that I don’t actually like something I obviously like. 

Dont mess with my toys!!

So your position is, he can't be super strong in combat, because he can't be. 

Again, this isnt only a slight issue with Spider-Man. It's an issue with a lot of these types of games, unless the narrative has given a reason why, which this game hasn't.  

Look, I like the game.  Its beautiful.  It's actually pretty funny too.  But let's not act like perfect and can't have small things talked about.  

The message board trope of, "So what you're saying is..." that's followed up by a bad summary of what was said strikes again.

Bold is a straw man. It's like you haven't followed this thread at all. Here's one page back:

"When I first played the game, it didn't stick out for reasons TwinIon said: it's not an evolution of the open-world design, and it's important not to go in thinking that.

However, the combat is so much fun because of how seamless it is to feel like an acrobatic badass."

Notice how I made the critique in this post, analyzed the game's strengths but compared it to my initial lukewarm impressions because this game's strengths lie in combat/traversal and not in its open-world design. 

Just because you make a criticism, it doesn't mean it's a valid, sensible criticism. There's no reason why a video game that revolves around combat will have you tear down enemies to the point where they're meaningless to be there in service of gameplay. It's a dumb critique.

It should always be looked at as silly when in cut scenes the hero you are playing as (take Kratos for example, from a game I might think is the game of the generation) can break boulders and do much greater feats of strength, but still has to hit the lowest level enemy 5+ times to defeat. 

Some games get around it by stating why the enemies need to take a beating before going down. Maybe I missed it where Peter/Spider-Man explains why he is hiding back his powers in combat. Even when faced by enemies with assault rifles.

12 minutes ago, AndrewDean84 said:

It should always be looked at as silly when in cut scenes the hero you are playing as (take Kratos for example, from a game I might think is the game of the generation) can break boulders and do much greater feats of strength, but still has to hit the lowest level enemy 5+ times to defeat. 

Some games get around it by stating why the enemies need to take a beating before going down. Maybe I missed it where Peter/Spider-Man explains why he is hiding back his powers in combat. Even when faced by enemies with assault rifles.

Only if it were a movie. In a game, I expect that I have to try to defeat enemies or else why am I playing?

2 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

No the classic comic book suit. It is cell-shaded and while it stands out in the game world. It doesnt look completely out of place. 

The game has a sort of cartoonish look to it.  I agree that the original suit looks great in the world.  The default new suit looks amazing too, but sometimes my eye play a trick on me and I think I see him wearing white sneakers. :lol:

1 hour ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Spidey always pulls his punches in the comics because if he hits folks at full strength, he'd kill them. That said his strength seems to be all over the place in the game... so much that I wondered if he was not as strong in this game as he is in the comics. That and a couple of inconsistencies with his Spider sense also jumped out to me. Nothing game breaking but as a comic fan, I did notice :nerd:

• Like 1

I finally got to the part in the E3 2017 demo. I was expecting it to end as the E3 demo did, but that didn't happen. So if you got to that part, read on:

I got to a pretty big part of the game story-wise with the introduction of a new important character.

Spoiler

Miles was taking video of me as I swung away from the webbed helicopter.

After that,

Spoiler

Poor Miles. :( 

Pretty much figured that was going to happen to give Miles a push in the story, but you know, :( because he didn't deserve it.

That's about where I finished with more playtime later today maybe. The pigeons side mission on the surface is like typical "collect-a-thon" kind of thing but aided tremendously by the fact that I'm swinging, diving, and running on walls. Really, I think that's probably why they even had the idea to have that kind of mission since catching them would actually be fun.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Only if it were a movie. In a game, I expect that I have to try to defeat enemies or else why am I playing?

Plenty of games handle this differently. They’ll let you style on early enemies before the enemies buff, or they Metroid you and reduce your power after the intro, whatever. I don’t think they should have done this here, just that it was weird that guys in hoodies take a lot of hits for Spidey to KO. 

Again I don’t care, it was a fleeting observation about the first hours in what’s shaping up to be a long and enjoyable game. I don’t know why people are sensitive to a critical observation about a game. It’s weird. 

27 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That's about where I finished with more playtime later today maybe. The pigeons side mission on the surface is like typical "collect-a-thon" kind of thing but aided tremendously by the fact that I'm swinging, diving, and running on walls. Really, I think that's probably why they even had the idea to have that kind of mission since catching them would actually be fun.

The pigeon stuff is great because it’s mechanically fun and awesome but thematically ridiculous and dumb, and the game leans into both of those really well. A lot of the side quests are like that which is great. JJJ calling you out for swinging through smog is just aces. 

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Plenty of games handle this differently. They’ll let you style on early enemies before the enemies buff, or they Metroid you and reduce your power after the intro, whatever. I don’t think they should have done this here, just that it was weird that guys in hoodies take a lot of hits for Spidey to KO. 

Again I don’t care, it was a fleeting observation about the first hours in what’s shaping up to be a long and enjoyable game. I don’t know why people are sensitive to a critical observation about a game. It’s weird. 

The pigeon stuff is great because it’s mechanically fun and awesome but thematically ridiculous and dumb, and the game leans into both of those really well. A lot of the side quests are like that which is great. JJJ calling you out for swinging through smog is just aces. 

What's weird is you have an aversion to be called out on any critique you make. If someone compliments a part of a game, you have no quarrel with talking about what you feel doesn't make sense or is weak about it, so why can't someone take issue with your critique, too? You make that comment about strength a lot, and it's such a weird critique in a medium that puts obstacles in your way for you to overcome them. I made a two-sentence post and you lost your shit, and to make things worse, AndrewDean agreed, the kiss of death. And I only rag on you because I feel you'd be fun to drink/smoke with. :p 

JJJ is great; I wonder if he's gonna be like Lazlow where he humors me the whole time but I never encounter him in the game. I wanna swing a window he's near and just mess with him.

If we're going to nitpick about stupid things that exist purely for gameplay reasons, I think the enemy AI while in stealth is right up there. It's bog standard for sure, but it's hard to believe in the actual stealthiness of my actions when I interrupt a conversation between two guys, lure one away, string one of them up to a floodlight that's not particularly high, and his buddy doesn't notice or care when he comes back to finish his thought. I can have a dozen men strung up 12 foot high light poles and no one will notice that all their buddies are MIA, "hidden" in plain sight. Still, like I said, this is in no way unusual, but it can sometimes be a little less immersive. While fighting, it's easy to believe Spider-man really is taking on all comers, but the stealth, while fun enough, lacks that mild believability.

Also, I mentioned this before, but it sucks that if you stealth takedown the entire first wave of guys, the second wave arrives and instantly knows where you are. I doubt I'd have the patience to regularly take out an entire base without being noticed, but I might have tried once if it was possible.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

If you want to feel invincible and take down bad guys with one or two presses of a button that is called lower the difficulty and play on easy. Lol. Amirite?

26 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If you want to feel invincible and take down bad guys with one or two presses of a button that is called lower the difficulty and play on easy. Lol. Amirite?

No. I dont care about having to press the square button 5 times to knock out a thug. Just think it's silly characters as strong as Spider-Man, Batman or Kratos are super strong one second in a cutscene or QTE, then have minuscule strength moments later.

It's a video game thing, I get it.  Just breaks immersion.  Like how in The Last of Us, you're in a sneaking section and your ally is loud as fuck, but the enemy AI doesn't hear them.

18 minutes ago, AndrewDean84 said:

No. I dont care about having to press the square button 5 times to knock out a thug. Just think it's silly characters as strong as Spider-Man, Batman or Kratos are super strong one second in a cutscene or QTE, then have minuscule strength moments later.

It's a video game thing, I get it.  Just breaks immersion.  Like how in The Last of Us, you're in a sneaking section and your ally is loud as fuck, but the enemy AI doesn't hear them.

You're all wrong.  He does indeed pull his punches, but he hits regular guys 5 or 6 times because he enjoys slapping around shitty people. :p

I also find it fascinating that several posters are so adept at knowing when people are "sensitive" through text on a screen.

You'll know I'm sensitive when you see all caps! ;)

33 minutes ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Batman isn't super strong. He's a regular guy in a suit :nerd:

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Spidey always pulls his punches in the comics because if he hits folks at full strength, he'd kill them. That said his strength seems to be all over the place in the game... so much that I wondered if he was not as strong in this game as he is in the comics. That and a couple of inconsistencies with his Spider sense also jumped out to me. Nothing game breaking but as a comic fan, I did notice :nerd:

Ditto. I peeped the inconsistencies as well but oh well no different that reading a comic book. Game still fun as hell and the story is fantastic so far.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hope you feel better!

Thanks. I'm starting to take some critical steps toward recovery, so I hope I get better. Most days, I'm okay, it's just the last couple weeks have been tough. Shit happens and it spirals and when you're depressed, it seems like it doesn't take much to send you into a spiral.