~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

As much as my parents love guns, thankfully, we never did any of this nonsense. Dad just took me squirrel hunting with a .22 when I was 6 or 7. This shit is just demented. 

Same. In fact I was forbidden from stuff like this. I was always allowed with firearms, from a pretty early age, but it had to be for specific purposes (hunting or target/trap shooting), and safety and muzzle control were always priority #1. It wasn't even a question, if I used a gun irresponsibly, I wouldn't have been able to touch it. 

But, I also just wasn't as disturbed as these people, apparently. I killed my first deer at 12 with my grandfather, but never once have I considered shooting a person.

But, as long as Americans keep Treating the opposition as the enemy, this will keep happening in America, and the GOP is notorious for that shit. You can't tell an armed and disturbed base that the other side is grooming children and not expect this shit. 

Like I said prior to the election, I've never considered myself particularly left wing, but the current GOP is irredeemable. I even understood how Trump won in 2016, but by the time 2020 rolled around, I don't know how the party had a single supporter left, let alone millions. 

20 hours ago, Chris- said:

The full story is absolutely incredible. How can one man shoulder so many of a nation's burdens?

21nat-colorado-hero-1-0415-facebookJumbo
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Richard M. Fierro, who served for 15 years in the military, said he was at Club Q in Colorado Springs with his family, and took down the man who killed five people.

Here's the actual interview with this guy... heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time.

His daughter's boyfriend was one of the victims and I think he knew one of the other victims as well. Another veteran was there as well and helped subdue the gunman. What's also sad is that the shooter was apparently a victim of SEVERE online bullying throughout his teen years, so much that he legally changed his name at 16 because of it. This harassment and bullying was mostly, you guessed it, ONLINE on social media :|

How much pain and death has social media caused throughout the years? It's fueling a lot of the social ills we have in society and its fucking disgusting.

Obviously the relentless bullying doesn’t excuse anything, but our society has a lot blood on our collective hands with everything from our gun laws to our poor protections of children from bullying.

I think I’ve mentioned before, but we don’t let our children have any social media accounts and their only messaging ability is iMessage to approved contacts. They aren’t missing out on anything of value 😂

18 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I’ve noticed a lot of my younger brother’s friends (Gen Z) view social media similar to how my generation viewed drugs. Something to be avoided at all costs.

My nieces and nephews aren't really on it either. Millenials, Gen X and ESPECIALLY Boomers fucked up social media and made it the cess pool it is today. When our Parents got on Facebook, that was all she wrote.

• True 4

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My nieces and nephews aren't really on it either. Millenials, Gen X and ESPECIALLY Boomers fucked up social media and made it the cess pool it is today. When our Parents got on Facebook, that was all she wrote.

Boomer Facebook is literally more toxic than 4chan.

• True 3

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That small window of time where Facebook required a .edu email was perfection

• Halal 2

59 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Boomer Facebook is literally more toxic than 4chan.

Dude, my mother posted a photo of the Obamas saying “what a lovely couple”. That’s it. Nothing about their politics or the Presidency. That’s it.

The comment section under that photo was some of the most vile shit I ever saw written by people that are her FRIENDS.

You'd have thought she posted a photo of Hitler and saying “he was right about everything”.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Obviously the relentless bullying doesn’t excuse anything, but our society has a lot blood on our collective hands with everything from our gun laws to our poor protections of children from bullying.

I think I’ve mentioned before, but we don’t let our children have any social media accounts and their only messaging ability is iMessage to approved contacts. They aren’t missing out on anything of value 😂

You're robbing them of the gift of resiliency to bullying! 

</Jordan Peterson, probably>

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Dude, my mother posted a photo of the Obamas saying “what a lovely couple”. That’s it. Nothing about their politics or the Presidency. That’s it.

The comment section under that photo was some of the most vile shit I ever saw written by people that are her FRIENDS.

You'd have thought she posted a photo of Hitler and saying “he was right about everything”.

To be fair, those people probably think Obama was worse than Hitler.

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Mass shooting at a Walmart in Chesapeake, VA. Multiple fatalities, shooter dead. 

The dead terrorist is reportedly a current or former employee and the victims were in the break room.

221123012040-02-va-beach-shooting-112222
WWW.CNN.COM

At least six people were killed in a mass shooting Tuesday night inside a Walmart in Chesapeake, Virginia, and the shooter is also dead, city officials said early Wednesday.

Sadly, it will take so many more of these before the younger generations make the needed changes to our Business political systems. I've fully shifted how I interact with society now. I avoid big stores and large public gatherings whenever possible. I encourage my older child to do the same, but she is "living her life",  so I somehow doubt she is following that policy. It genuinely stressful thinking about your own children out is this current rendition of the world. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Step 1 - Have civilian save lives and take down shooter

Step 2 - Have useless cops come and detain hero for a while

7zmH39c.png

At the risk of sounding like a "police apologist", I'm going to say that this was probably the correct course of action for the police to take.

In this type of situation, the police should probably assume that anyone who isn't an injured victim could potentially be the perpetrator who has tossed the weapon and blended into the crowd during the hellishly chaotic aftermath as a means of escape.  This is what Cruz did in the aftermath of his atrocity at Stoneman Douglas.  Furthermore, it's reasonable to assume that there could be more than one perpetrator.

In other words, I genuinely do believe that this type of abundance of caution by the police is warranted.

• Halal 2

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Sadly, it will take so many more of these before the younger generations make the needed changes to our Business political systems. I've fully shifted how I interact with society now. I avoid big stores and large public gatherings whenever possible. I encourage my old child to do the same, but she is "living her life",  so I somehow doubt she is following that policy. It genuinely stressful thinking about your own children out is this current rendition of the world. 

The only stores I go to are Safeway and target, occasional How Depot runs. I stay to the perimeters as much as possible and always know where the nearest exits are. 

I love living in a nation where I mentally have to think like I’m back in fucking Iraq.

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

The only stores I go to are Safeway and target, occasional How Depot runs. I stay to the perimeters as much as possible and always know where the nearest exits are. 

I love living in a nation where I mentally have to think like I’m back in fucking Iraq.

At least you have the benefit of military training. Most of us have to go grocery shopping without any such knowledge. :(

18 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I don't have the link handy, but I read an interesting study a few days ago that actually put more focus on the decline in child autonomy as being the major cause of mental health issues in the last 30 years, rather than internet/social media use. It didn't discount that those things could have an effect on kids, but rather that it's been the loss of agency within their own lives (manifested in a number of ways, such as decline of unstructured time they can control the use of, decline in ability to walk/travel outside the home by themselves, etc) that is the primary driver of these issues. Effectively, kids feel less in control of their own lives and future, and therefore feel worse about their lives.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't have the link handy, but I read an interesting study a few days ago that actually put more focus on the decline in child autonomy as being the major cause of mental health issues in the last 30 years, rather than internet/social media use. It didn't discount that those things could have an effect on kids, but rather that it's been the loss of agency within their own lives (manifested in a number of ways, such as decline of unstructured time they can control the use of, decline in ability to walk/travel outside the home by themselves, etc) that is the primary driver of these issues. Effectively, kids feel less in control of their own lives and future, and therefore feel worse about their lives.

Everything, and I mean everything, comes back to land use and design. 

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Everything, and I mean everything, comes back to land use and design. 

You mean losing the small neighborhood store in exchange for big box retailers miles away and getting rid of sidewalks to widen the street has had a negative effect on people? Who could possibly have every imagined something like that?

My kids have nowhere to go in my neighborhood. Closest shop is a huge Market Basket in the middle of a strip mall two miles away. Even if I still lived in downtown, their options wouldn't be that much better. There would actually be some good options, but it's not exactly pedestrian friendly.