~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

58 minutes ago, Joe said:

Interesting, but wouldn’t the decline be lower in countries that have better land use laws?

Possibly! 

It might be more pronounced in countries with a greater proportion of population growth in auto dependent development. There’s a lot of different factors that feed into that including wealth, land availability, and language/culture (closer to America in these ways can lead to more auto driven development). But given the link between exurbs and republican/anti societal attitudes I can anecdotally support the idea. I’d like to see the study if it can be found

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't have the link handy, but I read an interesting study a few days ago that actually put more focus on the decline in child autonomy as being the major cause of mental health issues in the last 30 years, rather than internet/social media use. It didn't discount that those things could have an effect on kids, but rather that it's been the loss of agency within their own lives (manifested in a number of ways, such as decline of unstructured time they can control the use of, decline in ability to walk/travel outside the home by themselves, etc) that is the primary driver of these issues. Effectively, kids feel less in control of their own lives and future, and therefore feel worse about their lives.

Yeah, its no shock that helicopter parenting and constant "protection" of children from any kind of hurt, physical or emotional, is incredibly bad for them, and creates insane dependence. 

Im not saying parents should be distant, but they should absolutely push kids away and make them learn to deal with and solve their own problems. Instead, they shield them and blame others for their and their childs failures. We have a generation of kids who are extremely smart in some ways, but also can't handle having their feelings hurt or being told they are wrong. As much as I hate a lot of tight wing talking points, things like not keeping score in childrens sports, and participation trophy kinda stuff is horrible for development. Kids need to realize their are losers in everything, and sometimes its them (conservatives obviously need to learn this too).

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, its no shock that helicopter parenting and constant "protection" of children from any kind of hurt, physical or emotional, is incredibly bad for them, and creates insane dependence. 

Im not saying parents should be distant, but they should absolutely push kids away and make them learn to deal with and solve their own problems. Instead, they shield them and blame others for their and their childs failures. We have a generation of kids who are extremely smart in some ways, but also can't handle having their feelings hurt or being told they are wrong. As much as I hate a lot of tight wing talking points, things like not keeping score in childrens sports, and participation trophy kinda stuff is horrible for development. Kids need to realize their are losers in everything, and sometimes its them (conservatives obviously need to learn this too).

The study didn't have anything to do with the snowflake theory you are pushing (which I don't believe has any credibility, as, after all, it's the exact same theory peddled by Boomers about both Gen-X and Millennials...and every generation before), but about the lack of independence to make decisions, most importantly things like deciding what they want to do for an entire Saturday (and the ability to leave the house, etc).

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The study didn't have anything to do with the snowflake theory you are pushing (which I don't believe has any credibility, as, after all, it's the exact same theory peddled by Boomers about both Gen-X and Millennials...and every generation before), but about the lack of independence to make decisions, most importantly things like deciding what they want to do for an entire Saturday (and the ability to leave the house, etc).

Its all part of the same nonsense, taking away independence and discovery that children need to grow, in favor of protecting them from reality. Its all a part of the same, wrong-headed approach to parenting. That includes not letting kids make decisions of what to do on Saturday. Its all crippling to children's growth. 

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Its all part of the same nonsense, taking away independence and discovery that children need to grow, in favor of protecting them from reality. Its all a part of the same, wrong-headed approach to parenting. That includes not letting kids make decisions of what to do on Saturday. Its all crippling to children's growth. 

People like to talk about the snowflake generation...but I haven't ever seen examples of no-score sports (except at really young ages where it's not even really structured sport), trophies for everyone, etc. I think it's something that's blown out of proportion as part of the right-wing culture war.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Everything, and I mean everything, comes back to land use and design. 

Basically everything in this country is really fucked up and depressing if you think about it for more than 10 seconds, I mean this society somehow manages to continually invent new ways of making people miserable in the industrialized West 

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

People like to talk about the snowflake generation...but I haven't ever seen examples of no-score sports (except at really young ages where it's not even really structured sport), trophies for everyone, etc. I think it's something that's blown out of proportion as part of the right-wing culture war.

You don’t say?

Next you’ll tell me they aren’t teaching third graders how to give blowjobs?

• Haha 1

Can confirm that my first grade child, who played soccer for a public school team just this past season in an extremely liberal city, kept score and a win/loss record. 

it’s some boomer Facebook meme shit to think that kids don’t or won’t keep count, or know these things. Not keeping score is to protect the fragile ego of the parents, not the kids. Kids can deal with a loss but my god if you’ve ever refereed a kids sports game of any kind good lord the parents are the fucking problem. 

• True 1

36 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You really miffed here. The reason kids don't have the freedom to do whatever they want on weekends is because those plans rely on parents to drive them around because we've built a country around cars. When I was 10, I could get on a bike and within a half mile visit a place to buy games, somewhere to buy some snacks, a video and game rental place, places to grab some food, a few places that had some arcade games, along with a few restaurants. Nowadays, I go visit that same neighborhood, one of those bodegas is still in business and the some of the restaurants are still around, but that's it. Also, those restaurants and the bodega no longer have arcade cabinets. Also, also, half the sidewalks are gone after the streets were converted to two way traffic. If I were growing up there today, I'd have no options other than get a ride from my parents to the mall ten minutes away...wait...the closest mall closed and was converted to a strip mall, so that's also out.

I guess there's always Xbox Live at home with friends.

My fifteen month old daughter absolutely loves going out for walks just up and down the block. Thankfully we're in a slightly more walkable townhouse community.

It's absolutely insane to me to think our problem of youth independence has a greater challenge than the physical independence we've all robbed ourselves of.

55 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

My fifteen month old daughter absolutely loves going out for walks just up and down the block. Thankfully we're in a slightly more walkable townhouse community.

It's absolutely insane to me to think our problem of youth independence has a greater challenge than the physical independence we've all robbed ourselves of.

I'm on a cul-de-sac surrounded by forest. My kids also like walking up and down the block, but that's about as much as they can do. I've got a sidewalk on one side of the street and then nothing as soon as you get to the end of the block. Trick or treating was fun since the only option for kids was just to walk in the middle of the street for homes on the even side.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I've got a sidewalk on one side of the street and then nothing as soon as you get to the end of the block. Trick or treating was fun since the only option for kids was just to walk in the middle of the street for homes on the even side.

Random sidewalk coverage is the most American planning oddity you’ll ever encounter 

I always chuckle at these posts about children as if there is a single method of parenting that works. There isn’t even a single method of parenting your own children that works! Each kid is so different that how you help shape them into functional adults is highly specific to the particular child.

Even the notion of teaching independence is a bit wrong headed. Some children are naturally cautious, some are naturally more adventurous, some want to be told what to do, others want no restrictions, some are highly rational, and others seemingly all emotion.

Most of what parenting ends up being is trying to push your kids in the things in which they have strength, and to build up the areas in which they have weaknesses, and the way to do that is not something that can be spelled out in a book. You need to know your children really well and use some level of reason and judgement to make wise decisions for the betterment of your kiddos.

I grew up in a place where there was nowhere to walk to, and shockingly, I’m very independent :p 

I also think there is nothing that will make you better understand how much of who you are is just baked into you at birth than to have a child who is a near replica of your personality. My daughter really is just a girl version of me. We think the same way, we feel the same way, we communicate the same way (to the dismay of everybody else in the world 😂), and that is just how she has always been.

My middle kid on the other hand is a boy version of my wife, and our oldest is a pretty good mix of the two of us.

Also, there 100% are leagues that don’t keep score even for kids in the 10-12 range. But these are leagues intended for very beginner levels to allow kids who maybe didn’t start playing at a young age to learn the fundamentals of the game without such a strong focus on the competitive aspects of the sport. That is a perfectly reasonable thing to offer, as many kids are not going to be up to the level of competition of children who have been playing a sport for 5 or 6 years and it just ends up discouraging those newer to the sport from wanting to continue trying to learn and improve.

Its literally the same reason in adult softball leagues you have recreational and competitive divisions!

2 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Random sidewalk coverage is the most American planning oddity you’ll ever encounter 

Even more so when you realize this is a planned neighborhood. This was all forest until 15/20 years ago when some developer bought up all the land. What, we couldn't plan an extra few feet for some actual sidewalk coverage?

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I always chuckle at these posts about children as if there is a single method of parenting that works. There isn’t even a single method of parenting your own children that works! Each kid is so different that how you help shape them into functional adults is highly specific to the particular child.

Even the notion of teaching independence is a bit wrong headed. Some children are naturally cautious, some are naturally more adventurous, some want to be told what to do, others want no restrictions, some are highly rational, and others seemingly all emotion.

Most of what parenting ends up being is trying to push your kids in the things in which they have strength, and to build up the areas in which they have weaknesses, and the way to do that is not something that can be spelled out in a book. You need to know your children really well and use some level of reason and judgement to make wise decisions for the betterment of your kiddos.

I grew up in a place where there was nowhere to walk to, and shockingly, I’m very independent :p 

I also think there is nothing that will make you better understand how much of who you are is just baked into you at birth than to have a child who is a near replica of your personality. My daughter really is just a girl version of me. We think the same way, we feel the same way, we communicate the same way (to the dismay of everybody else in the world 😂), and that is just how she has always been.

My middle kid on the other hand is a boy version of my wife, and our oldest is a pretty good mix of the two of us.

Also, there 100% are leagues that don’t keep score even for kids in the 10-12 range. But these are leagues intended for very beginner levels to allow kids who maybe didn’t start playing at a young age to learn the fundamentals of the game without such a strong focus on the competitive aspects of the sport. That is a perfectly reasonable thing to offer, as many kids are not going to be up to the level of competition of children who have been playing a sport for 5 or 6 years and it just ends up discouraging those newer to the sport from wanting to continue trying to learn and improve.

Its literally the same reason in adult softball leagues you have recreational and competitive divisions!

yes some kids need cobra kai and some kids need miyagi-do

32 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm on a cul-de-sac surrounded by forest. My kids also like walking up and down the block, but that's about as much as they can do. I've got a sidewalk on one side of the street and then nothing as soon as you get to the end of the block. Trick or treating was fun since the only option for kids was just to walk in the middle of the street for homes on the even side.

It's a good mile before you get to any businesses, which sucks, but for stuff like trick or treat my neighborhood is great for walking. Just move here.

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Sounds like a ploy to get out of hate crime charges.

Maybe im just being cynical, but it seems fishy.

Nah, there is a long history going back to when they were 15 and tried to change their name. It also appears their gender identity was the main source of the online bullying they experienced. It’s real.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nah, there is a long history going back to when they were 15 and tried to change their name. It also appears their gender identity was the main source of the online bullying they experienced. It’s real.

My bad. I admit I took that stance because of who his grandfather was. But that could also cause a ton of self hate. 

59 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sadly, if this actually was a case of self-loathing, the usual mouthbreathers will just take it as an excuse to say "See?!  They're all crazy!" and continue to mock and bully them without any sense of self-reflection.

• True 1

Interview with the father is up, what a fucking piece of shit. 

The Colorado shooter’s dad on finding out his son murdered people: “They started telling me about the incident, a shooting... And then I go on to find out it’s a gay bar. I got scared, ‘Shit, is he gay?’ And he’s not gay, so I said, phew… I am a conservative Republican.”

The Colorado shooter’s dad: “I praised him for violent behavior really early. I told him it works... You’ll get immediate results.”

He then went on to praise the Colorado shooter’s grandpa, a MAGA Republican politician named Randy Voepel who supported the January 6 insurrection.

• Guillotine 2
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

His claim of being non binary is bullshit there’s no evidence to support it other than what his fucking lawyer claims. It’s bad faith trolling from a right wing terrorist until proven otherwise

There is *extensive* online history of this claim, though I won’t link to it as the site in question is degenerate filth of the highest order. Way back machine results verify how long ago this went on.

And none of that precludes the perpetrator from being a right wing terrorist, so I don’t k of why you set those up as though they are mutually exclusive. Just as silly as saying Kanye West couldn’t be spouting white supremacist nonsense simply because he is a Black man. 

3 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Interview with the father is up, what a fucking piece of shit. 

The dad is a grade A POS, of which there is also a LOT of documentation from prior to the murders. He is also very uninvolved with his kid, a deadbeat loser.