U.S. administers 75.2 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines: CDC

Just because this is really great news, I wanted to make this into its own thread. Because a year ago all the news sucked.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 75,236,003 doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in the country as of Sunday morning and it had distributed 96,402,490 doses.

The tally is for both the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech, vaccines as of 6 a.m. ET Sunday, the agency said. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines involve two doses.

The CDC on Saturday had reported a tally of 72,806,180 vaccines doses administered and 96,402,290 doses distributed.

The agency said that as of Sunday, 49,772,180 people had received at least one vaccine dose while 24,779,920 had received the two doses.

740x-1.png

Seems like we're easily going to blow past the 100 million in 100 days goal.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Is that people, or doses (meaning half that number is the people vaccinated). 

If it's people, that's 1/4 of the country.

From the quoted-in-the-thread section of the article

The agency said that as of Sunday, 49,772,180 people had received at least one vaccine dose while 24,779,920 had received the two doses.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In either case, a single shot does confer a good deal of immunity and protection.

@Joeis VERY excited by the first does tally 

35 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I want a dose :(

Same. The temptation to game the system (PA is still relatively restricted in terms of rollout) is obscene. And I might otherwise do it were it not for the horror stories some high-risk folk have discussed in trying to schedule their own appointments. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unfortunately Canada has only administered 1.8 million doses, which is the equivalent of 20 million in the US. Fortunately daily vaccinations have ramped up to where they should have been prior to the interruption.

When do you think vaccinations will be available to the general populace in saskatchewan?

5 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

When do you think vaccinations will be available to the general populace in saskatchewan?

Though we're still in Phase I, they are apparently calling people 70+ now for general appointments. I would expect we move into Phase II proper (age-based) in the next few weeks. However, they are still insisting it will be determined by age only...so anyone in their 30s will likely be waiting until June/July-ish, at the earliest. Government has also said they will be stopping the calls (right now they are calling people to make appointments) since they've figured out there are huge holes in the Sask Health records, and will be setting up an online booking system instead. I don't have confidence it will be online for at least a month. If it's just an online booking system then that's easy...but tying it into the ancient Sask Health systems? Might be years, lol.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

Same. The temptation to game the system (PA is still relatively restricted in terms of rollout) is obscene. And I might otherwise do it were it not for the horror stories some high-risk folk have discussed in trying to schedule their own appointments. 

PA has been super restrictive still, it's annoying. 

Last week in my tier got effectively removed.

I'm not sure if San Diego entirely follows state guidelines or what, but currently the county has phase 1A-1, 1A-2, 1A-3, 1B, 1C, and 2, where 2 is everyone over 16. (They're currently up to 1B) A week ago 1C included a broad swath of "essential workers" as defined by the state that I would have been eligible for. As of last Friday 1C is now only for people with underlying health conditions and there is no priority for the broader essential worker category.

I won't argue the change is bad health policy, but it is a bummer that now I have to wait for essentially complete general availability before trying to get an appointment. I was really hoping that being part of the last phase before that would make it easier to get.

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

PA has been super restrictive still, it's annoying. 

Logically I could justify it given I smoke weed (and smokers are in the current phase), but I don’t know, I’d just feel to awful given how hard it has been for so many people to get an appointment. Besides, I can just stay inside and keep getting stoned, I’m well positioned to wait awhile longer. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Logically I could justify it given I smoke weed (and smokers are in the current phase), but I don’t know, I’d just feel to awful given how hard it has been for so many people to get an appointment. Besides, I can just stay inside and keep getting stoned, I’m well positioned to wait awhile longer. 

I smoke weed too and tried getting the vaccination anyway, saying I was a smoker (though I understand your reservations) but I had to give my birthdate as well and at least according to Rite-Aid's website my wife and I don't pre-qualify yet for one. I even said I was an essential worker and still nothing, which makes me think it was my birthdate preventing me. 

The only sites with appointments in NY are the FEMA sites they recently set up, the state run sites are always full, other than that its hit or miss with county appointments, if you're 65 and older pharmacies started taking appointments.  So even though i've been able to get one for over a month, i haven't been able to get an appointment as i can't just sit at a computer all day looking and calling.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is great news for Canada, too, since we will likely strike a deal to get the excess production across the border when the US finishes (or even starts dropping in demand).

Taking our table scraps, like the feeble dog you are.

• Haha 4

On 3/1/2021 at 10:29 AM, Chris- said:

If you can help someone who's vulnerable get an appointment while getting one yourself, I resident d1p cripple hereby pardon you.