Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

What if we just extend high school another year. The additional year is optional (can complete high school graduation requirements without the additional year). In this additional year students would study subjects equivalent to a year's worth of post secondary general eds. I think that's the best idea. 

EDIT: This probably goes without saying (but just in case it doesn't) the additional year wouldn't have a cost to the students. 

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

What if we just extend high school another year. The additional year is optional (can complete high school graduation requirements without the additional year). In this additional year students would study subjects equivalent to a year's worth of post secondary general eds. I think that's the best idea. 

That's totally fine with me.

19 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm going to take this a step further and say that having ANY collegiate-type education for many professions is simply a waste of time and money.

For example, there is absolutely no reason that an accountant (my background) should be required to have a college-type education for this profession - none whatsoever.  The requirements for the CPA exam could just as easily be fulfilled through a "trade school" type of environment.

I think that’s the way education is already going, and where it will ultimately  continue to go.  Trade schools and work/study programs.  The traditional 4-year university track will be dying out soon, or at least will be severely diminished.  It’s too expensive, and its prestige has been watered down to the point where the ROI just isn’t there.  Especially when for a lot of professions, all the information you need is available for free on the ‘net.

Higher education institutions that aren’t state funded are in for a long period of structural adjustment.

As someone who has hired a lot of university students and non university students in south, the biggest difference I see is maturity. Age doesn't matter, they've still got a high school mentality, even one of my employees in her 50s. So many get cut loose by the school system, "go to community college" (bullshit), get pregnant before they're 20 (intentionally), and are dirt poor for the rest of their life. 

We need to figure out how to produce mature individuals because high school and community college isn't doing it. 

15 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

EDIT: This probably goes without saying (but just in case it doesn't) the additional year wouldn't have a cost to the students. 

The Early College model is kind of like that. We've got one here that just opened. Each year 50 high school freshman (10 kids from each 20th 8th grade GPA percentile by lottery, so not just the smart kids) are invited to attend High School on the Community College campus (they've got their own building). They still get the standard NC High School education but they can also get an Associates (up to 60 credits of college courses) from any program (university transfer credit or a certification) over their 4 years there. Most of the senior high school level courses count for both high school and college credit, and if the college course is popular enough the professors come to their building to teach exclusively them (like Health). They have buses and they can still do sports at their district high school. All totally free, even books. 

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

As someone who has hired a lot of university students and non university students in south, the biggest difference I see is maturity. Age doesn't matter, they've still got a high school mentality, even one of my employees in her 50s. So many get cut loose by the school system, "go to community college" (bullshit), get pregnant before they're 20 (intentionally), and are dirt poor for the rest of their life. 

We need to figure out how to produce mature individuals because high school and community college isn't doing it. 

1. Education needs to be invested in from preschool and up and 2. dare I say we need good parents. I don’t buy into the whole family values conservative mumbo jumbo but people need to be better parents. I work with kids and you can usually tell who has good parents and shitty parents (or parents who mean well but are stretched too thin by their daily struggle to provide). Improve number 1 and number 2 will improve. 

21 minutes ago, johnny said:

1. Education needs to be invested in from preschool and up and 2. dare I say we need good parents. I don’t buy into the whole family values conservative mumbo jumbo but people need to be better parents. I work with kids and you can usually tell who has good parents and shitty parents (or parents who mean well but are stretched too thin by their daily struggle to provide). Improve number 1 and number 2 will improve. 

Parenting isn’t even particularly difficult. You mostly just need to care about building good adults and reverse engineer from there. Too many people want the wrong things.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, Chris- said:

It's fascinating to watch Berniebros act oblivious over how their behavior affects others perception of Bernie.

Pre 2008, I was a big fan. It's unfair, too, because he is way less shitty than his fanatics.

"What we need is comprehensive immigration reform,” he continued. "If you open the borders, my God, there's a lot of poverty in this world, and you're going to have people from all over the world. And I don't think that's something that we can do at this point. Can't do it. So that is not my position.”

Bernie Sanders says he does not support open borders

6 hours ago, Jose said:

Pre 2008, I was a big fan. It's unfair, too, because he is way less shitty than his fanatics.

He can be held accountable for the fact that he does nothing to discourage or dissuade the bomb throwing and even takes some of the biggest bomb throwers and gives them jobs trying to get him elected (which often implies administration jobs in the event of a win). Maybe he seemed less shitty in the past but at some point we have to recognize what he's doing and his actions are frankly utterly divorced from his platform at this point. He rewards loyalists and sycophants, that's not what I want in a president even if the politics are closer to mine.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

I wouldn't doubt if it is Russian-run, based on that.

I assure you, it is quite real. They've been organizing masked protests of a local coffee shop after the owner was accused of sexual impropriety.