Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

I've never heard anyone advocate tax reform as a pathway to reduce the political influence of the wealthy.

The flip side of that coin is .. If that's the case why is he talking about it in that frame?

Let me introduce you to our good friend, the Strawman.

I’m calling it: it will come down to Buttigieg vs Yang, because these days everybody loves an outsider, and they’re the two most millennial-friendly candidates getting pegged with the label.

Then Yang will win it, because when you win the memes, you win the masses.

I picked Auburn to beat Kansas, btw, so you can book it—my prophetic powers are confirmed. (I also picked my alma mater to win it all out of a sense of civic duty—once a Hawkeye always a Hawkeye—but let’s not dwell on that...)

I normally don't like Chuck Todd, but I liked his experiment here, making electoral votes proportional to the population. Wyoming gets 1 electoral vote per 192k people, whereas California gets 1 per 700k+. If each state received 1 electoral vote per 192k people, it would look like this.

O7Xn4AP.png

Trump would have still won with this system (though it would do wonders for representation, really hyper-localizing the districts, and making the House truly the "big state solution" since every branch of government seems geared toward the Republican Party. Obviously there are many ways you could change the system to make it fairer, but I enjoyed this experiment.

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I normally don't like Chuck Todd, but I liked his experiment here, making electoral votes proportional to the population. Wyoming gets 1 electoral vote per 192k people, whereas California gets 1 per 700k+. If each state received 1 electoral vote per 192k people, it would look like this.

O7Xn4AP.png

Trump would have still won with this system (though it would do wonders for representation, really hyper-localizing the districts, and making the House truly the "big state solution" since every branch of government seems geared toward the Republican Party. Obviously there are many ways you could change the system to make it fairer, but I enjoyed this experiment.

This can basically already be done by expanding the size of the house. 

"I don’t trust former McKinsey consultants. I don’t trust military intelligence officers. And I don’t trust the type of people likely to appear on “40 under 40” lists, the valedictorian-to-Harvard-to-Rhodes-Scholarship types who populate the American elite."

Gee, that's rich coming from a JD at Yale and a current PhD candidate at Harvard.  What a crock of shit from a BernieBro.

https://sociology.fas.harvard.edu/people/nathan-robinson

Did you know there’s a giant racial wealth gap in South Bend? You won’t if all you read about South Bend is Shortest Way Home. Oh sure, he takes us on an ambling tour through the city, shows us people kayaking on the old industrial canal, wanders under the railroad bridge, takes us to see live music in an abandoned swimming pool. He tells us about twilight on the river, the fish-stealing heron on his running route (“To some he is a villain… but to me he is an elegant bird.”) But have a look at Prosperity Now’s “Racial Wealth Divide in South Bend” report and see if you think these should really be the mayor’s narrative priorities.

South Bend African Americans make ½ of what South Bend whites make. They’re twice as likely to be in liquid asset poverty as whites. Their unemployment rate is nearly twice as high.

What did Mayor Pete do about this? Well, to do something about it he might have had to care about it, and there’s no evidence from his book that he’s ever even thought about it. In fact, as I started reading about South Bend after getting through Shortest Way Home, there was a lot Buttigieg had left out. The eviction rate has been nearly three times the national average, a “crisis” among the worst in the country. If the word “eviction” appears in Buttigieg’s book, I did not notice it. The opiate crisis, homelessness, and gentrification are all serious issues in South Bend, but Buttigieg mentions them offhandedly if at all.

I’m not surprised the son of two Notre Dame professors would ignore these issues

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

Is RSF trying to make us like everybody he hates? 

I pretty much assume the more he hates a candidate the better they actually are in reality.