Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, game cleared. I maintain that this was not a good RPG, but I will acknolwedge that it was a good (but for me not great) game. 

Yea, this is DEFINITELY not an RPG and it absolutely shouldn't be labeled as such either. The combat is starting to lose its luster for me but the story and characters are what I truly love. 

I think FF17 needs to go back to some of the basics in the FF series because this is way too much of a departure. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, game cleared. I maintain that this was not a good RPG, but I will acknolwedge that it was a good (but for me not great) game. 

It wasn't bad, but only good enough to beat. I won't replay it unless there is DLC that changes some aspects of the ending.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Well I'm still liking it a lot but yeah, not an RPG and not really a true numbered FF sequel compared to other games in the series. I do like some things it does A LOT but like @best3444 I wish it would continue (and improve on) gameplay from the FF series. IE hybrid turn based battles, more party control, an open world-sand box type map, more non static towns that gradually offer more items, weapons, spells etc.

But I needed a break from these MASSIVE games that have been released lately so this has been a perfect escape from those. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing I guess 

• True 1

I'm still loving the characters and story but I've only been playing for like an hour a day so I don't think I'll beat this anytime soon. I still really love the game overall but the combat is really falling a bit flat. There is no challenge. I do like easier games but this is litteraly closing your eyes and mashing buttons.  😆 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm still loving the characters and story but I've only been playing for like an hour a day so I don't think I'll beat this anytime soon. I still really love the game overall but the combat is really falling a bit flat. There is no challenge. I do like easier games but this is litteraly closing your eyes and mashing buttons.  😆 

I've not died one time in probably 40+ hrs. Only time I came close to dying was when I was talking to my wife and fighting an S rank hunt and not really concentrating. But even then I still never died, only got close because i was adulting 

17 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I've not died one time in probably 40+ hrs. Only time I came close to dying was when I was talking to my wife and fighting an S rank hunt and not really concentrating. But even then I still never died, only got close because i was adulting 

Yea and my issue is I'm constantly comparing the combat to Ragnarok while I'm playing which doesn't help.

This game just reminds me how stunning the new GOW games are. From a combat point of view but also the leveling up and RPG elements all together. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea and my issue is I'm constantly comparing the combat to Ragnarok while I'm playing which doesn't help.

This game just reminds me how stunning the new GOW games are. From a combat point of view but also the leveling up and RPG elements all together. 

I never finished Ragnarok. I need to fr. I watched my son play a good bit and was impressed at what I saw but I really should experience it for myself 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yeah but in this game you aren’t forced to play as Clive’s shitty, boring, awful son multiple times. 

• Haha 2

Not having party members running alongside you in Tales of Arise makes me appreciate what FF16 did. I mean, your party members in ToA are actual party members and characters, but it would also be nice to have them out in the field too.

On 7/8/2023 at 6:41 PM, eventide11 said:

Well I'm still liking it a lot but yeah, not an RPG and not really a true numbered FF sequel compared to other games in the series. I do like some things it does A LOT but like @best3444 I wish it would continue (and improve on) gameplay from the FF series. IE hybrid turn based battles, more party control, an open world-sand box type map, more non static towns that gradually offer more items, weapons, spells etc.

But I needed a break from these MASSIVE games that have been released lately so this has been a perfect escape from those. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing I guess 

I mean, it’s absolutely a true numbered sequel. This is the same nonsense people said about XI and XIV not being numbered FF, when they very clearly are. 

it may not be traditional, but it’s absolutely a numbered FF. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, it’s absolutely a true numbered sequel. This is the same nonsense people said about XI and XIV not being numbered FF, when they very clearly are. 

it may not be traditional, but it’s absolutely a numbered FF. 

It is in the sense of it follows the others but.. Eh. Whatever. Just stopped following the 'numbers' I like after FF10

Final-Fantasy-NES.jpg
WWW.DENOFGEEK.COM

Remember when Squaresoft was about to declare bankruptcy, so the company bet it all on the appropriately named Final Fantasy? It turns out that's not exactly what happened.

This decision resulted in Square coming up with the abbreviation “FF,” but they didn’t actually know what those letters would stand for. The company went through several ideas, one of which was apparently Fighting Fantasy. However, because of conflicting trademarks, they ultimately decided to settle on the name Final Fantasy as a “last resort.”

According to the students, their primary school English teacher decided to use the title “Final Fantasy” for a lesson. This teacher wrote the game’s name on a whiteboard, followed by what they claimed was the translation, “Kyukyoku no gensou” (“The ultimate illusion”) in Japanese..

Sakaguchi decided that even though the teacher wasn’t right when they provided the lesson, they sure would be right moving forward. As soon as Sakaguchi received the postcard, he proclaimed, “We are using this!” and decided “Final Fantasy” would mean “The Ultimate Illusion” from then on. 

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

• Shocked 1

Ok, this series of main and side quests are kinda lame. Hoping to get past these soon. I think I'm ready to be done with this game even though I do really like it. NOTHING has been challenging not even S ranked hunts. If there's one thing I like in games it's a challenge and if this one didn't have such a good story I wouldn't want to finish it 

• True 1

18 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Ok, this series of main and side quests are kinda lame. Hoping to get past these soon. I think I'm ready to be done with this game even though I do really like it. NOTHING has been challenging not even S ranked hunts. If there's one thing I like in games it's a challenge and if this one didn't have such a good story I wouldn't want to finish it 

I’m going to finish it for sure simply for the story but I kinda agree. The formula of main quest followed by numerous side quests isn’t creating the excitement it did in the beginning. Also does anyone ride their Chocobo? I prefer simply running around with Clive on foot. 

53 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m going to finish it for sure simply for the story but I kinda agree. The formula of main quest followed by numerous side quests isn’t creating the excitement it did in the beginning. Also does anyone ride their Chocobo? I prefer simply running around with Clive on foot. 

I do if the quest 500 yds or more. Otherwise I hoof it.

Does this game even know why it's copying game of thrones? Kinda wish FF would just stay in it's lane

23 minutes ago, legend said:

Credits roll. Overall I enjoyed it! Not perfect but I've already commented on why. Ending got me in the feels in a few places and even though it's completely absurd I really enjoyed those final QTEs on the final boss :p 

Man I hope I do. Started out so strong so I hope it finishes that way 

On 7/13/2023 at 3:58 PM, Remarkableriots said:
Final-Fantasy-NES.jpg
WWW.DENOFGEEK.COM

Remember when Squaresoft was about to declare bankruptcy, so the company bet it all on the appropriately named Final Fantasy? It turns out that's not exactly what happened.

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

How was the teacher wrong?

Ultimate is synonymous with final.

Fantasy is maybe not quite as directly synonymous with illusion (maybe delusion would've been better) but I have no issue with it!

On 7/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, Biggie said:

I ride mine all the time. I use him to ride past any random mobs I don’t want to deal with. I also enjoy jumping off ledges and floating down way more than I probably should haha. 

• Halal 1