Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

7 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

How does it compare to FF16? I might be interested in that one as well. Granted it's not too much like 13 or 15

Completely different games really, I was half joking. It’s definitely not 13 or 15 either. It’s a strictly level based souls-like action game that has difficulty settings so it can be played more like a regular action game (you can completely eliminate the rogue-lite mechanic). The story is ridiculous and it doesn’t care. Jack is amazing. Bacon gave better impressions than I can:

There’s like 700 jobs and systems and it’s honestly a bit too much for me but some people enjoy that stuff and it doesn’t effect me any on my difficulty so it’s fine.

Edit: Oh it does have AI party members which I guess is a lot different than Souls games too, though you can also go solo like Bacon did

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eventide11 said:

How does it compare to FF16? I might be interested in that one as well. Granted it's not too much like 13 or 15

Yeah, nothing like 16 or any other FF. Tho, I was surprised but how much FF stuff is in FF Origins. It really does a fantastic job at recreating the spirit of Final Fantasy while being a full on action game. It has a lot of ways to make the game harder or easier, tho, if you are a souls veteran, Hard will end up being quite easy once you become accustomed to the mechanics of the game. It is a really fun game that more people should try. It is pretty short for an RPG, but long as an action game. Just don't expect an EPIC story. I mean, I am a huge fan of the story on SoP: FFO but it's not some grand tale, just a fun one.

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well I bought Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade this evening. I have it downloading now. I'm on a serious FF binge right now so I'll definitely play it. 

I hope you like the battle system 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Oh it does have AI party members which I guess is a lot different than Souls games too, though you can also go solo like Bacon did

I recommend using your party members if it doesn't make the game too easy. It would have for me tho, 100%, and I feel that is a bit of a shame.

32 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I recommend using your party members if it doesn't make the game too easy. It would have for me tho, 100%, and I feel that is a bit of a shame.

Oh yeah no problem with it being too easy here so they are always with me. Right now it’s just me and the ladies

2 hours ago, stepee said:

There’s like 700 jobs and systems and it’s honestly a bit too much for me but some people enjoy that stuff and it doesn’t effect me any on my difficulty so it’s fine.

Eh? There's really not that many systems. You pick a job you like, then you get gear for that job and kill enemies. Pretty straightforward!

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Sorry for this off topic question. 

@stepee @Biggie Is the FF7 remake called "Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade"?

It's confusing on psn what to download. 

It is. (Intergrade is the release with the DLC) Good decision to get it. It's difficult to predict what a person will like, but my money is on you liking FF7R. It was one of my favorite RPGs of last gen and I think you'll like the hybrid action/abilities combat system.

• Halal 2

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Origins. You don't pick a job in 16!

Oh I just mean like there’s the gear for the job, then the combos, and abilities, and leveling up the jobs, leveling up the companions and giving them jobs then there’s upgrading a job to get an advanced job, I haven’t even seen if I’m supposed to do anything in regards to affinity, I just have it auto put all the best gear on me.

But yeah I don’t pay attention to anything really and just have it auto assign my gear on everyone and occasionally pick a combo or ability when I see there’s something new. But it seems like if you care about doing some optimized build numbers stuff that there’s systems to engage deeper with.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Oh I just mean like there’s the gear for the job, then the combos, and abilities, and leveling up the jobs, leveling up the companions and giving them jobs then there’s upgrading a job to get an advanced job, I haven’t even seen if I’m supposed to do anything in regards to affinity, I just have it auto put all the best gear on me.

But yeah I don’t pay attention to anything really and just have it auto assign my gear on everyone and occasionally pick a combo or ability when I see there’s something new. But it seems like if you care about doing some optimized build numbers stuff that there’s systems to engage deeper with.

Oh yeah, almost all of that is just "make the numbers go up and pick what abilities you like" -- I think affinity is almost always the best until endgame or something. Although you should always be going for advanced jobs. They're like normal jobs but better! ...usually. Those are easy though, just get the skill tree point to unlock it on whichever jobs have it. It's a little cumbersome but easy enough!

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

I haven’t even seen if I’m supposed to do anything in regards to affinity

You want to stack affinity. On a controller, press whatever is your left face button and you can see your affinity bonuses. You don't even have to stack the affinity of the job you are playing. It's all about the bonus it provides. Generally, tho you want to stack what matches your job as it gives you the right stats.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Oh yeah, almost all of that is just "make the numbers go up and pick what abilities you like" -- I think affinity is almost always the best until endgame or something. Although you should always be going for advanced jobs. They're like normal jobs but better! ...usually. Those are easy though, just get the skill tree point to unlock it on whichever jobs have it. It's a little cumbersome but easy enough!

My main is swordsman and I haven’t unlocked anything yet. I guess I need to max out another job with it or smtn? I unlocked White Mage from using Mage as my secondary and switched to that as my secondary.

Also for advanced jobs, I stuck with Berserker and never moved on the last tier of jobs such as dark knight or breaker.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Many main is swordsman and I haven’t unlocked anything yet. I guess I need to max out another job with it or smtn? I unlocked White Mage and switched to that.

Nah, in your job tree, at the bottom, you see a job you can unlock, all jobs have more jobs to unlock until the final tier. To get an advanced job to unlock, you must lock the ability in all of the jobs it is in. Like for Paladin, I believe you need to spec the paladin talent in both swordsman and white mage to unlock it.

Yeah, you can unlock Knight by going down the trees for Swordfighter and Swordsman. Warrior by Swordsman and Ronin, etc. It encourages you to at least give each job a try for a little while if only to unlock new classes for more toys to play with. But to be honest you could probably clear the entire game on the lowest tier of jobs no problem. I find it fun to unlock them though!

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 12:27 AM, best3444 said:

Story gets very interesting. Also, the game keeps getting better and better in all aspects. 

In spoilers, where are you at?

Spoiler

I just destroyed the mother crystal/beat Typhon/became Cid.

So yeah still pretty early on in the game but combat is really starting to click. The story has been very predictable yet still quite engaging. I'm really enjoying the ride and the dialogue cutscenes while a bit too frequent for me personally aren't overstaying their welcome or making me bored, I think the pacing is actually quite good.

The Eikon battles are epic. They really struck the right balance with them.

• Halal 2

4 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Reveal hidden contents

So yeah still pretty early on in the game but combat is really starting to click. The story has been very predictable yet still quite engaging. I'm really enjoying the ride and the dialogue cutscenes while a bit too frequent for me personally aren't overstaying their welcome or making me bored, I think the pacing is actually quite good.

The Eikon battles are epic. They really struck the right balance with them.

Awesome. Glad you're enjoying it. 

On 7/1/2023 at 5:57 PM, Bacon said:

When it comes to Japanese media, FF16 is a reminder for me to always

Hide contents

look up the ending before I play the game. I almost always look up the ending before I play Japanese games but I didn't for 16. I'm about to play Tales of Arise and I looked up the ending months ago to make sure playing thru it would be worth it.

Tales of Arise was my favorite JRPG of the last few years, and it has a non-ambiguous, straight up ending.

15 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Ummm, totally different. FFO is basically a cheesy, buy extremely fun souls like (but with difficulty settings nowadays I think, it didn’t have it when I played on Day 1) and kind of a remake of part 1. 

its both incredibly dumb, and incredibly fun.

13 hours ago, best3444 said:

I will. I'm pretty open to comat even turn based. I'm sure it will be awesome. 

7R isn’t turn based, it’s action with party control mechanics. You can switch characters as well. Personally, I think yhe combat is quite a bit better than 16.

Man, I’m hyped for Rebirth. 7R is so good, it upsets me that @Bacon won’t play it. 

Spoiler

I just defeated Bahamut 

I plan to finish up by tomorrow if possible. Still just an OK game for my tastes, but I'll be damned if I don't see it through. I'm glad others are enjoying it, but its definitly not what I want from a FF title. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I plan to finish up by tomorrow if possible. Still just an OK game for my tastes, but I'll be damned if I don't see it through. I'm glad others are enjoying it, but its definitly not what I want from a FF title. 

That's unfortunate you didn't enjoy it. It's one of my favorite games this gen. Absolutely phenomenal. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Please tell me you enjoyed this more than Forspoken?

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Hide contents

I just defeated Bahamut 

You’re still a long way from the end, and there’s some pretty important side quests at the end, two specifically.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Tales of Arise was my favorite JRPG of the last few years, and it has a non-ambiguous, straight up ending.

Come to think of it, the theming was very similar as well, just reversed. The magic users enslave the non-magical ones.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Please tell me you enjoyed this more than Forspoken?

About the same actually. Forespoken had a world that was fun to explore but Its productin values were well below FXVI. Its upgrade system was even worse than this game's. Its combat was objectively not as good either, but I somehow liked it as touch more than FXVI's. That said, this is a solid game, just not a great one in my book and definitly a disappointment form the persective of a true RPG. 

• Like 1

I’ve been enjoying it more despite its flaws as it goes along. The side quests get a bit more interesting thematically too.  Not that it’s hard to top delivering food :p

It’s also completely over the top. Every new major fight strives to out do the former in spectacle. As an anime fan I’m all for it! 

As for where I am, I have 6 of the powers. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

About the same actually. Forespoken had a world that was fun to explore but Its productin values were well below FXVI. Its upgrade system was even worse than this game's. Its combat was objectively not as good either, but I somehow liked it as touch more than FXVI's. That said, this is a solid game, just not a great one in my book and definitly a disappointment form the persective of a true RPG. 

Hey, you like what you like. We all have different tastes and even though I absolutely love FF16 I understand it's miles away from previous games in the series. It's completely stripped of any real RPG elements so I understand your disappointment in that regard. 

• Halal 1