Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

Y3mrcDtyw95Fa7KbxxLD8V-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

But they need some help. If you're an engineering wiz, Yoshida wants to talk.

Yoshida explained the team got as far as testing this idea, but putting the Pixel Remasters inside FF14 got complicated. "We realized the Pixel Remasters are running on a middleware," he went on. "Because it's running on a middleware, if you want to implement that into 14 you'd have to build another system that can play that middleware inside of the game. So it's like.. building a system of a game to play a system of a game inside… it's just this weird configuration. Our Final Fantasy 14 team is—I love them, but they're crazy—though I don't think they're that crazy."

Yoshida, seemingly only half-joking, went on to say if he could get a couple more super genius programmers they may have a path forward when it comes to adding playable Final Fantasy classics inside of your FF14 house or the Gold Saucer amusement park. He went as far as to ask for résumés, just in case there are any Warriors of Light out there that may have a suggestion. 

:epilepsy:

On 7/29/2023 at 10:30 PM, Remarkableriots said:
Y3mrcDtyw95Fa7KbxxLD8V-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

But they need some help. If you're an engineering wiz, Yoshida wants to talk.

:epilepsy:

Yoshi-P out here readin' my posts!

On 8/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, Xbob42 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, how was what aspect of it? The quality of the localization, or the novelty of it being the first time the 2D version has been localized in English?

Localization struck me as about on par with the rest, with only one anachronism that I could spot where your party says "Are you coming with?" which in my mind was a weird phrasing that started, or at least got popularized nationally, like 15-20 years ago? I still hate it, so it stood out to me. I have no idea why it bothers me so much, but I hate it.

That aside, everything else was perfectly fine, and as I haven't put too much time into any of these games besides 6 (I beat 4 when it came out, but only remember one or two impactful scenes) there's not like a huge novelty factor or anything.

Although I gotta say, I'd love integration of all these games within the toybox (or even anywhere) in FFXIV. Own the games? Play them within FFXIV! Maybe even get a little crazy and set it up like Tetris 99 where you can see everyone else's gameplay if they're in your party. I know no one else would give a shit about that, but FFXIV pays so much homage to the earlier series, I had no idea that the overworld theme of 3 was like, THE theme for Shadowbringers. Hearing it and then thinking back on all the scenes in FFXIV was definitely goosebumps-worthy. Having access to the origins of the series inside a game that cares so much about the series' legacy would be awesome to me. That, and I'm just a huge fan of games-in-games. Playing these games with a chatbox while shooting the shit with my FC would be amazing.

I have absolutely no desire to continue this game after putting a ton of hours into it. I just got turned off by it for some odd reason and don't want to revisit that world which is a shame. I may down the road sometime beat it but this is being shelved for now.

• Shocked 2
  • True 1
  • Sicko 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I have absolutely no desire to continue this game after putting a ton of hours into it. I just got turned off by it for some odd reason and don't want to revisit that world which is a shame. I may down the road sometime beat it but this is being shelved for now.

this guy is literally me

640px-Nostradamus_by_Cesar.jpg

I can’t remember a game starting off so fucking good and then turning into a chore just to play. 

Just now, best3444 said:

Did you ever play FF7 Remake Intergrade?

Just the demo. FF16 looks better but only because it's a PS5 game whereas FF7 is a PS4 game. FF7R has some poor textures but the characters and spell effects look great.

Just now, Biggie said:

I can’t remember a game starting off so fucking good and then turning into a chore just to play. 

I know. I was loving the shit out of it for hours and then the story just hit a wall for me. I just stopped caring and the combat is just to fucking easy. There is absolutely no challenge in the game.

Vic's impressions on it were spot on. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Just the demo. FF16 looks better but only because it's a PS5 game whereas FF7 is a PS4 game. FF7R has some poor textures but the characters and spell effects look great.

Ok thanks for the heads up on the visual side of things. I might go fire it up now and see what I think. 

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well I've decided to play FF7 Remake Intergrade for my next game which has been sitting on my dashboard for months. 

@Biggie After coming off FF16, how do the visuals and combat compare?

FF7R is better.

• Visuals are not as good as 16 because it's a remastered PS4 game, but it still looks good and has moments of beauty.
  • The combat is better than 16. Still mostly real-time but you can slow down to issue commands, both for your controlled character or other members in your party, or you can switch who you're controlling. Stagger systems exist, but the game doesn't center around that being the entire strategy.
  • The combat isn't hard, but is more engaging than 16, IMO. Each character plays differently. You can't just spam specials and items. You have to build up ATB to use either to prevent spamming and endless healing. But at the same time, the build up time for ATB is shorter than cooldowns in 16 and you can always use whichever you want without specific cool downs. You can also switch characters/issue them commands to use their abilities in between.
  • The leveling and equipment is vastly more expressive than in 16, but it's not complex relative to how complex some RPGs get with equipment and leveling.
  • The main quest structure is not as repetitive as "get to the next crystal." You're not going to predict where it's going at the start unless you played the original FF7.
  • Sidequests are more localized and book-ended. Some are mundane, but 16 felt more spammy in mundane quests.
  • The music is better than 16's, and it's one of the best soundtracks in gaming.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

FF7R is better.

• Visuals are not as good as 16 because it's a remastered PS4 game, but it still looks good and has moments of beauty.
  • The combat is better than 16. Still mostly real-time but you can slow down to issue commands, both for your controlled character or other members in your party, or you can switch who you're controlling. Stagger systems exist, but the game doesn't center around that being the entire strategy.
  • The combat isn't hard, but is more engaging than 16, IMO. Each character plays differently. You can't just spam specials and items. You have to build up ATB to use either to prevent spamming and endless healing. But at the same time, the build up time for ATB is shorter than cooldowns in 16 and you can always use whichever you want without specific cool downs. You can also switch characters/issue them commands to use their abilities in between.
  • The leveling and equipment is vastly more expressive than in 16, but it's not complex relative to how complex some RPGs get with equipment and leveling.
  • The main quest structure is not as repetitive as "get to the next crystal." You're not going to predict where it's going at the start unless you played the original FF7.
  • Sidequests are more localized and book-ended. Some are mundane, but 16 felt more spammy in mundane quests.
  • The music is better than 16's, and it's one of the best soundtracks in gaming.

Thanks a lot for that breakdown! I played for and hour and really like it. I had to adjust to the inferior voice acting and dialogue though. But visually I was impressed and looks much better than I was anticipating. I like the mix of real-time combat and then using commands for special attacks. It makes combat so much more enjoyable when it's not straight up button mashing like 16. 

Edit: Oh, and the ability to switch characters is dope af.

• Halal 1

I am like an hour and half in and I'm not loving it. I don't really see how the combat is any better than 16 overall? Am I too early to make a statement like that?

The dialogue and voice acting are a big step down from 16, too. I'm really early so I will stick with it. 

Well I gave ff7 enough of a chance and it didn't impress me. In fact, it makes me appreciate ff16 more so now. I may have to just jump back in and beat it. I'm pretty much gameless until Starfield.

I had a strong feeling you wouldn't care for it

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's just not interesting me. There is nothing really "wrong" with the game but it didn't click 2 hours in. The dialogue is cringy and Cloud is a complete tool. 

The story is actually cool. They are a underground terrorist organization.

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

If its 95 or higher you still buying me an Xbox Series X?

That is iffy.

A) It won't reach a 95 average when it's all said and done.

B) I'd be pretty irresponsible if I bought you a Series X because I'm in the middle of saving cash to move out asap. 

Played this today. I'm in a boring section and just want this god damn story to move along. 

Another thing I noticed today is the game is pretty low res...So it's not the best visuals on PS5. 

This maxed out on PC will be really impressive though.  

• True 1

@Biggie I am on chapter 62 of 68 and it really picked up this evening. I never seen a game start out so great, plummet, then become really good again. So I'm finally enjoying this again and should have it beat this weekend. 

If you gave up on it I suggest you keep at it. Especially if you don't have any games to play. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie I am on chapter 62 of 68 and it really picked up this evening. I never seen a game start out so great, plummet, then become really good again. So I'm finally enjoying this again and should have it beat this weekend. 

If you gave up on it I suggest you keep at it. Especially if you don't have any games to play. 

It’s dead to me. Deleted off my PS5 to make room for Madden.