~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

On 11/26/2020 at 10:32 PM, Jason said:
47085840701_6d6e7ff8e5_k.jpg
WWW.NYSFOCUS.COM

“Are you going to hire every single able-bodied Republican political operative?” Cuomo stocks executive branch with top Republicans

Dems just won a super majority in state leg now in NY, and all of the conservative dems have been kicked out, meaning Cuomo can't be the reason X doesn't happen anymore.

8 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I was curious about the breakdown of the Canadian Parliament, so did some tabulation using some publicly available information. Same colours as the chart above:

n8FQE8o.jpg

So it appears that Gen X is firmly in charge of Canada, now, combining with Millennials to make up the majority. Interestingly, there is one Zoomer in Parliament, elected in 2019 in Quebec (20 years old).

24 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

When does "baby boomer" end? 1960? If it does, that means "Gen X" goes from 1961 all the way to 1980. You've got Gen X-ers having Gen-Xer babies, that seems weird. I know Obama considers himself a Gen-Xer and he was born in '61.

It seems the fairly standard definitions are:

Silent: 1928-1945

Boomer: 1946-1964

Gen X: 1965-1980

Millennial: 1981-1996

Zoomer: 1997-Present (2022?)

26 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

When does "baby boomer" end? 1960? If it does, that means "Gen X" goes from 1961 all the way to 1980. You've got Gen X-ers having Gen-Xer babies, that seems weird. I know Obama considers himself a Gen-Xer and he was born in '61.

Gen-X is considered 1965-1980 iirc. There tends to be a 3-5 or so year “blend” in between generations, like, if you’re born in 1983 you may relate to Gen-X on some things and millennials on others.

I'm fine with Boomers being '45-'60. I'm fine with Gen-Xers being '66-'80. Then millennials are '81-'95/6/7/whatever. I just think we need a hard rule that we can't label a generation that is so long that you have a lot of parents having kids in the same generation. Boomers can't go all the way to '65. Gen X-ers can't go all the way back to '60. '61-'65 should be a neutral zone.

We need hard rules, people. These things matter.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm fine with Boomers being '45-'60. I'm fine with Gen-Xers being '66-'80. Then millennials are '81-'95/6/7/whatever. I just think we need a hard rule that we can't label a generation that is so long that you have a lot of parents having kids in the same generation. Boomers can't go all the way to '65. Gen X-ers can't go all the way back to '60. '61-'65 should be a neutral zone.

We need hard rules, people. These things matter.

Uhhhh... You don't unless there's "a lot" of 18 year olds born in '45 having kids in '64(for Boomers). And with Gen X, that's a 15 year span... so... how many Gen Xers had Gen X children? It would have had to have been by or before they were 15 if they were born in '65.

• Haha 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Uhhhh... You don't unless there's "a lot" of 18 year olds having kids (for Boomers). And with Gen X, that's a 15 year span... so... how many Gen Xers had Gen X children?

What I'm saying is that if you have Gen-X starting in '61, then they're 20 years old by the time Millennials start. If you have them start in '65/66, then Boomers are 20 years old by the time Gen-X stars.

If I had to pick a side, I'd say Gen-X starts at '61, since it makes me think of people like Mark Kelly, Barack Obama, Stephen Colbert, Kamala Harris, Jon Stewart, etc, who are very much "gen-x" in terms of beliefs and personality. Or Sean Hannity, whose beliefs are very much reactionary to post-boomer ideology.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

What I'm saying is that if you have Gen-X starting in '61, then they're 20 years old by the time Millennials start. If you have them start in '65/66, then Boomers are 20 years old by the time Gen-X stars.

If I had to pick a side, I'd say Gen-X starts at '61, since it makes me think of people like Mark Kelly, Barack Obama, Stephen Colbert, Kamala Harris, Jon Stewart, etc, who are very much "gen-x" in terms of beliefs and personality. Or Sean Hannity, whose beliefs are very much reactionary to post-boomer ideology.

Gen X doesn't start in 61, it starts in 65. The Millennial generation started in 1981, 16 years later. Boomers started in 46 and ended in 64, which is 18 years, not 20... So, I have no clue what point you're trying to make since your start dates don't exist and there's no "side" to choose from.

22 minutes ago, CayceG said:

The only litmus test for being a millennial is A) you remember and were at least aware of what was happening on 9/11, and B) you didn't have internet as a kid, but you got it while you grew up. 

I agree with this definition. To expand:

Greatest: WWII and depression obvs

Silent: probably the end of WWII/a-bombs

Boomer: moon landing/assassinations

Gen x: challenger going boom

Millennial: 9/11

Zoomers: the current non-stop horror show that is *gestures wildly at the world around*

30 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I agree with this definition. To expand:

Greatest: WWII and depression obvs

Silent: probably the end of WWII/a-bombs

Boomer: moon landing/assassinations

Gen x: challenger going boom

Millennial: 9/11

Zoomers: the current non-stop horror show that is *gestures wildly at the world around*

Generation Omega (2022-2040): First Age of Ash.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2020 at 11:34 AM, Ghost_MH said:

Please tell me this is the real Lin Wood...

Could this boycot of the runoff elevation really be picking up steam? That would be awful.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'm trying not to get my hopes up for GA since Republicans won more votes in total during the general. I don't even care that Dems didn't do well in the 08 runoff because the circumstances were way different; it's just that every time my hopes go up for a third conservative party or Republicans not voting for non-presidential candidates (like what looked like could happen in 16), I'm ALWAYS disappointed.

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm trying not to get my hopes up for GA since Republicans won more votes in total during the general. I don't even care that Dems didn't do well in the 08 runoff because the circumstances were way different; it's just that every time my hopes go up for a third conservative party or Republicans not voting for non-presidential candidates (like what looked like could happen in 16), I'm ALWAYS disappointed.

i want to believe

• Haha 3

On 12/1/2020 at 9:10 AM, CayceG said:

The only litmus test for being a millennial is A) you remember and were at least aware of what was happening on 9/11, and B) you didn't have internet as a kid, but you got it while you grew up. 

Define kid. I had a tech literate dad so I had AOL pretty early (and then pure ISP Dial-UP & DSL in JH/HS). :) (I'm from the early half of 83).

I'm gonna post this here because of the 22k candidates/orgs, they're almost all smaller state/local races

I'm also going to steal the Matt Y take in that you could buy a media outlet or four and turn them into high quality anti corporate media outlets to feed progressive/left narratives.