~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

11 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Is there a consensus as to why, at the height of their power, they abandoned a strategy that won them Congress, a ton of local legislatures and governorships in traditionally Republican strongholds, and ultimately the presidency?

Because they didn't actually want power and just want to be a fundraising operation? Captured opposition? Both? 

29 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Is there a consensus as to why, at the height of their power, they abandoned a strategy that won them Congress, a ton of local legislatures and governorships in traditionally Republican strongholds, and ultimately the presidency?

I don't think it's a conscious decision, but people who get elected to do things aren't as good at fundraising as people who get elected in order to continue to fundraise. So the party favours those people who want to fundraise (centrist corporate democrats). But it turns out those people aren't good at actually winning. A great example is how much the DNC raised to win Senate seats in Texas and Kentucky. They literally raised and spent more there than the entirety of their national state efforts.

45 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

No consensus that I know, but I know at the time it was being implemented for the 06 midterms, Paul Begala and James Carville were not fans of it.  Begala described it as this: "What he has spent it on, apparently, is just hiring a bunch of staff people to wander around Utah and Mississippi and pick their nose."

Carville thought they could have won bigger in 2006 if more money was used in certain swing districts, but the two-fold wins of Democrats in 06 and 08 speak for themselves. It seems like Dean's strategy was getting young people in local offices in each state and grooming them to be rising stars in the party later.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It seems like Dean's strategy was getting young people in local offices in each state and grooming them to be rising stars in the party later.

It seems like it's coming more from the GOP being in a perceptual state of cannibalizing themselves than an intentional strategy but the GOP definitely has this going better for them. They may still have geriatrics like McConnell and Grassley at the top, but it's a lot clearer who moves up to fill their shoes once they croak, and who the second stringers are if the up and comers get hit by a bus. 

7 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I, a lib, would definitely feel extremely owned if every Trump loyalist boycotted the Georgia runoffs. Extremely owned.

Please, patriotic pedes, I would feel so terminally owned if you boycotted the runoffs that I'd literally die of being triggered. Please don't do it.

• Haha 1