~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Only makes sense because warnock is a better candidate, otherwise the opposite (ossoff and lol-feller votes) would balance out.

As Jason said, Perdue is an incumbent. I'm sure that is a pretty large factor in his favor. Plus, he's a dude.

Have we ultimately learned that whoever controls the White House and the Senate is what counts and the House doesn't matter? It seems that the Senate majority leader ultimately controls the House, as well.

The position of "Senate Majority Leader" is not in the Constitution. There wasn't one until 1925. Now that person basically controls the legislative power of the government.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Have we ultimately learned that whoever controls the White House and the Senate is what counts and the House doesn't matter? It seems that the Senate majority leader ultimately controls the House, as well.

The position of "Senate Majority Leader" is not in the Constitution. There wasn't one until 1925. Now that person basically controls the legislative power of the government.

Controlling the purse strings would be pretty powerful if the Democrats had a sack. 

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I didn't know that about the majority leader position. Interesting, thanks.

I'll say that they certainly mattered in the Obama years when Dems lost the House but kept the Senate. If Dems had the Senate but not the House, we still wouldn't have a bill heading toward the White House.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I didn't know that about the majority leader position. Interesting, thanks.

I'll say that they certainly mattered in the Obama years when Dems lost the House but kept the Senate. If Dems had the Senate but not the House, we still wouldn't have a bill heading toward the White House.

I think it's a problem regardless. You have one person who decides (albeit not with brute force, as they can be removed if they stray from party platform) what legislation is even voted on. Mitch McConnell has abused that power more than anyone else I can think of.

Although I will admit, the Senate Majority leader acting as the keyholder to any legislation really started with Robert Byrd as the Democrat Majority Leader under the Reagan administration in the late 80's. What Mitch McConnell is is really an evolution of that.

Though, that's just further evidence that exposes how much of our government is based on gentleman's agreements, not laws.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think it's a problem regardless. You have one person who decides (albeit not with brute force, as they can be removed if they stray from party platform) what legislation is even voted on. Mitch McConnell has abused that power more than anyone else I can think of.

Although I will admit, the Senate Majority leader acting as the keyholder to any legislation really started with Robert Byrd as the Democrat Majority Leader under the Reagan administration in the late 80's. What Mitch McConnell is is really an evolution of that.

Though, that's just further evidence that exposes how much of our government is based on gentleman's agreements, not laws.

Divided government is gonna do that, and it's why I continue to make to point to people that you're not going to get compromise with divided government; you'll just get nothing done and complain that Congress gets nothing done. 

I'd rather have the Senate, though, since that body picks the Cabinet and judges. But man, I remember the first two years of the Obama administration, much of the refrain was how the Senate should go and house we just should have a House to represent Americans. When Dems lost the House, that mindset went right out the window since the Senate didn't allow much of the crazy stuff from the House to get a vote.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Preventing moving forward on debate for the ndaa override was the only leverage to potentially get a vote. Filibustering the override (an override which is sure to pass) allows Mitch to call for cloture at the last moment before all legislation expires and no vote for the cash act will be held

But they're putting out strongly-worded tweets asking Mitch to be reasonable!