~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

52 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

When you live in the west the Dakotas aren't that impressive. And now I know you've never been to Idaho.

I traveled through North Idaho to get to Montana from Washington, and North Idaho was gorgeous. It was weird though that there were just four radio stations, two of which seemed to be the same rock station and two which were Christian rock.

Summer of 2019 I went to Seattle, road tripped to Montana, went back and saw a bit of Tacoma but really explored downtown Seattle, then went to Portland.

Every place was great. Rode through Spokane, saw amber waves of fucking grain through Washington, I was in bloody heaven.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I've talked my wife into driving to Seattle/portland/somewhere in the PNW then flying back. I just have to plan it

Oh hell yeah. I'm originally from the Seattle area. If I remember correctly you're in VA right now and are originally from Ohio so I'm sure you've seen everything worth seeing that's east of the Mississippi. Here's some general routes you can take once you get west depending on which route you take to get there. Exploring anything in the boxes would be worth your time. Obviously, you'll need to deviate from the Interstate to really get into some of these. (The boxes all shifted a tiny bit for some reason in all directions once I saved this but the main idea is still there)

spacer.png

Red route: If you head from VA through Arkansas you can catch the Ouachita National Forest. It's pretty enough. Maybe you've been there already. Then you have to suffer through an infinite scream of bottomless boredom through Oklahoma to get to the northern bit of New Mexico. If you're an outdoorsy person it's one of the greatest areas in general for hiking and scenic views. It's got tons of pretty green and red mountains. Most picture New Mexico as this brown desert nothingness but I found that's really only true in Albuquerque (which is still an awesome city). Santa Fe is one of the most unique cities of its size in the country, too. Very 'southwest'. And it's probably worth checking out Los Alamos as well (where they developed the A-bomb primarily). There are still like Federal govt checkpoints on the border of the city asking what your business is; it's weird. But it's pretty. Then from there head into Northern Arizona and southern Utah and that is the most stunning red desert you'll ever see. Lots of layered red cliffs and hills. From there you can swing by Las Vegas (but I wouldn't stay) and see The Valley of Fire and/or The Hoover Dam (sounds lame, actually really pretty surroundings and fucking cool marvel of engineering). Then onto a lot of plane jane Nevada which is still mostly pretty the further north you go. From there into NOCAL where you can hit up like four national forests in as many hours if you're in a hurry (including the famous Redwoods National Forest). And from there into the true PNW starting in Oregon and up to Washington if you want. The Cascades, man. Mt. St. Helens. Mt. Baker. It's all gold. Everything is pretty in the PNW.

Blue route: Infinite scream of fathomless boredom through Kansas or Nebraska and into Colorado. Get past Denver into the Rocky Mountains. They go on forever and are just incredible. That will carry you into mid Utah where you can catch a bit of the aforementioned red desert but also hit up State Route 12 where you can see Grand Staircase/Escalante, Capitol Reef National Forest, and the Henry Mountains. You'll see tons and tons of incredible rock formations. Some of which you'll even drive through. From there northward towards Salt Lake City. You can come see my house which is famous for its many dogs and guitars and okay looking lawn. But seriously in the small vertical blue box in northern Utah you can zigzag through several different canyons as you head northward. Even the ugliest one, which is only like a mile from my house, is still admired for its beauty. The most stunning one would be The Cache National Forest one, however. It actually reminds me of the PNW. From there you have to go to north to Yellowstone. Even if you've already been. I mean, it's the most famous National Park for a reason. Leaving Yellowstone you'll see the prettiest parts of Montana. Just absolutely stunning vistas. I feel like every truck commercial ever made where it's driving down a infinitely long straight road with an awesome mountain at the end must have been filmed in Montana. Because there is loads of that. I know you're going during the summer but it is especially pretty in a snowy winter. If you head this route you'll be forced through northern Idaho. And, yeah, it is pretty (I really just absolutely fucking loathe southern Idaho tbh; lived there for a bit. Miserable). The thing with this area though is that the times I've gone through it with my wife I've been nervous because it's full of those militia live-on-a-compound and/or polygamist types. From there into the Seattle area and the mountain range I mentioned in the red route at the end.

Purple route: I used to live in Detroit and I went through the upper peninsula of Michigan into Wisconsin and Minnesota once. I remember that being pretty. I've been to MI, MN, and WI relatively recently but it's been years since I've been through the UP. So that might be worth taking towards the purple route? I don't know. Otherwise you'll probably go through Chicago and then Iowa (infinite scream, etc.) which I'm sure you've seen a million times since you're from the Midwest. But you are right about South Dakota and the Black Hills. Really the whole southern part of the state reminds me of a scene you'd see in a typical western movie. Which is cool. After you get out of the Black Hills you can see some state and national parks/monuments in northeast Wyoming. Devil's Tower is fucking awesome. You'll then be in southeast Montana. I've done tons of camping there. I can't say there's a lot of neat things to see on the drive through that area though. From there you'll join the blue route at Yellowstone.

I didn't hit everything or all the options. But if you hit the blue route in any form let me know.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I traveled through North Idaho to get to Montana from Washington, and North Idaho was gorgeous. It was weird though that there were just four radio stations, two of which seemed to be the same rock station and two which were Christian rock.

Heh. I actually conceded this in my previous post.

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Oh hell yeah. I'm originally from the Seattle area. If I remember correctly you're in VA right now and are originally from Ohio so I'm sure you've seen everything worth seeing that's east of the Mississippi. Here's some general routes you can take once you get west depending on which route you take to get there. Exploring anything in the boxes would be worth your time. Obviously, you'll need to deviate from the Interstate to really get into some of these. (The boxes all shifted a tiny bit for some reason in all directions once I saved this but the main idea is still there)

spacer.png

Red route: If you head from VA through Arkansas you can catch the Ouachita National Forest. It's pretty enough. Maybe you've been there already. Then you have to suffer through an infinite scream of bottomless boredom through Oklahoma to get to the northern bit of New Mexico. If you're an outdoorsy person it's one of the greatest areas in general for hiking and scenic views. It's got tons of pretty green and red mountains. Most picture New Mexico as this brown desert nothingness but I found that's really only true in Albuquerque (which is still an awesome city). Santa Fe is one of the most unique cities of its size in the country, too. Very 'southwest'. And it's probably worth checking out Los Alamos as well (where they developed the A-bomb primarily). There are still like Federal govt checkpoints on the border of the city asking what your business is; it's weird. But it's pretty. Then from there head into Northern Arizona and southern Utah and that is the most stunning red desert you'll ever see. Lots of layered red cliffs and hills. From there you can swing by Las Vegas (but I wouldn't stay) and see The Valley of Fire and/or The Hoover Dam (sounds lame, actually really pretty surroundings and fucking cool marvel of engineering). Then onto a lot of plane jane Nevada which is still mostly pretty the further north you go. From there into NOCAL where you can hit up like four national forests in as many hours if you're in a hurry (including the famous Redwoods National Forest). And from there into the true PNW starting in Oregon and up to Washington if you want. The Cascades, man. Mt. St. Helens. Mt. Baker. It's all gold. Everything is pretty in the PNW.

Blue route: Infinite scream of fathomless boredom through Kansas or Nebraska and into Colorado. Get past Denver into the Rocky Mountains. They go on forever and are just incredible. That will carry you into mid Utah where you can catch a bit of the aforementioned red desert but also hit up State Route 12 where you can see Grand Staircase/Escalante, Capitol Reef National Forest, and the Henry Mountains. You'll see tons and tons of incredible rock formations. Some of which you'll even drive through. From there northward towards Salt Lake City. You can come see my house which is famous for its many dogs and guitars and okay looking lawn. But seriously in the small vertical blue box in northern Utah you can zigzag through several different canyons as you head northward. Even the ugliest one, which is only like a mile from my house, is still admired for its beauty. The most stunning one would be The Cache National Forest one, however. It actually reminds me of the PNW. From there you have to go to north to Yellowstone. Even if you've already been. I mean, it's the most famous National Park for a reason. Leaving Yellowstone you'll see the prettiest parts of Montana. Just absolutely stunning vistas. I feel like every truck commercial ever made where it's driving down a infinitely long straight road with an awesome mountain at the end must have been filmed in Montana. Because there is loads of that. I know you're going during the summer but it is especially pretty in a snowy winter. If you head this route you'll be forced through northern Idaho. And, yeah, it is pretty (I really just absolutely fucking loathe southern Idaho tbh; lived there for a bit. Miserable). The thing with this area though is that the times I've gone through it with my wife I've been nervous because it's full of those militia live-on-a-compound and/or polygamist types. From there into the Seattle area and the mountain range I mentioned in the red route at the end.

Purple route: I used to live in Detroit and I went through the upper peninsula of Michigan into Wisconsin and Minnesota once. I remember that being pretty. I've been to MI, MN, and WI relatively recently but it's been years since I've been through the UP. So that might be worth taking towards the purple route? I don't know. Otherwise you'll probably go through Chicago and then Iowa (infinite scream, etc.) which I'm sure you've seen a million times since you're from the Midwest. But you are right about South Dakota and the Black Hills. Really the whole southern part of the state reminds me of a scene you'd see in a typical western movie. Which is cool. After you get out of the Black Hills you can see some state and national parks/monuments in northeast Wyoming. Devil's Tower is fucking awesome. You'll then be in southeast Montana. I've done tons of camping there. I can't say there's a lot of neat things to see on the drive through that area though. From there you'll join the blue route at Yellowstone.

I didn't hit everything or all the options. But if you hit the blue route in any form let me know.

Yeah I think something like the blue route would be what we do. My wife has friends in Denver we could see that way. Ill have to keep this in mind! Thanks!

Democrats are favored but it's not a lock.

Maine, North Carolina, Arizona, Colorado are the places Democrats are polling best in.

Iowa has been surprisingly good for Dems, as has the Georgia seat Perdue has.

Kansas, Montana, Alaska, South Carolina, the Georgia seat are all very competitive.

Mississippi, Texas are longer shots but doable if the night is really good for Dems.

Alabama is the most endangered seat for Dems, whereas Michigan is a longshot for Republicans but still doable if it's a poor night for Dems.

• Thanks 1

Maine has showed consistent small leads for the Democrat but big leads in the second choice part (they have ranked choice voting), so my guess is Collins is going to lose.

The big thing is that the rest of the races are all relatively close, so you could presumably have a decent Republican night or a Democratic sweep depending on which was the margin of error is.

54 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Democrats are favored but it's not a lock.

Maine, North Carolina, Arizona, Colorado are the places Democrats are polling best in.

Iowa has been surprisingly good for Dems, as has the Georgia seat Perdue has.

Kansas, Montana, Alaska, South Carolina, the Georgia seat are all very competitive.

Mississippi, Texas are longer shots but doable if the night is really good for Dems.

Alabama is the most endangered seat for Dems, whereas Michigan is a longshot for Republicans but still doable if it's a poor night for Dems.

I really want Graham out. So, SO badly.

Lindsey Graham GIF by GIPHY News

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

On Twitter alone, his attack on Perdue was viewed 12.5 million times, never mind FB/Youtube and all local news, I'm sure.

I'm happy to say when I lived in Georgia in 2014, I voted for Nunn over Perdue. I tried to stop him.

Dude, isn't that sick? I've been sharing the video to everyone I know to up the views lol.

15 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

On Twitter alone, his attack on Perdue was viewed 12.5 million times, never mind FB/Youtube and all local news, I'm sure.

I'm happy to say when I lived in Georgia in 2014, I voted for Nunn over Perdue. I tried to stop him.

Wow, I think I just saw my first snuff film because Perdue was straight up murdered.

• Shocked 1

18 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I thought slavery was illegal in this country, because I'm pretty sure it's a crime to own somebody like this.

• Haha 1