Star Wars: Squadrons OT- Lock S-Foils in Attack Position, update: December update to bring B-wing and TIE Defender

I’m really looking forward to this. If it sells well, it would justify more games like it. They are saying the right things. 

Some of you were talking about a tie fighter vs a x wing. The Tie Fighter doesn’t have shields by default like a xwing, but there was mission where the empire equipped your tie fighter or interceptor with shields for what it’s worth. I can’t remember the campaign and mission number. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Star Wars: Squadrons hands-on: the flight sim we've been waiting for (PC Gamer)

After playing just a few hours of Star Wars: Squadrons, I'm mad that it's taken 21 years for someone to make a Star Wars flight sim again. X-Wing Alliance came out in 1999, and in some alternate timeline (or galaxy) we spent the 2000s and the 2010s playing a new X-Wing or TIE Fighter every few years, enjoying better graphics and physics and more elaborate flight systems with each upgrade. Somehow it took two decades for Lucasfilm and EA to remember that flying a damn X-Wing is cool as hell, but here we are, at last—Squadrons is proof that getting in a cockpit and blasting through a space dogfight is still one of the best ways to experience Star Wars.

Star Wars Squadrons delivers on the promise of a modern-day X-Wing (Eurogamer)

Are we really getting a modern take on the 90s' outstanding X-Wing games, complete with that same nerdish detail and with the power and spectacle possible on modern hardware? All of it. It's all true. EA is indeed making a successor of sorts to Totally Games' beloved series, building an entire experience around the evergreen fantasy of battling in the skies of the Star Wars universe. And while Star Wars Squadrons is its own thing - developed by EA Motive, it's a stripped back and very modern game, complete with a whole heap of unlockable cosmetics and ties to the new Disney-sanctioned lore - the links to classics like TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance are deliberate and for old-timers like me mighty satisfying too.

After Four Hours, Star Wars: Squadrons is a Faster, Deeper X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (USgamer)

We were on hand to experience Star Wars: Squadrons for the first time, using gaming PCs that EA shipped to journalists in their homes (the weirdness of that experience practically deserves its own article). Coming off its very successful first showing back in June, my expectations were high for Star Wars: Squadrons. I also felt a little trepidation. Would Star Wars: Squadrons play as well as it looked in the trailer? Would it be a glorified budget game?

Not all of those fears were allayed in the ensuing four hours, but enough of them were that I emerged from the event with my enthusiasm still intact. In the course of dabbling in the campaign prologue, the Dogfight mode, and the new Fleet Battles mode, I found an unpolished, but generally sincere effort to evolve the venerable genre. What surprised me was how much it resembled modern shooters, particularly Rainbow Six Siege of all games.

Hands-on with Star Wars: Squadrons’ Fleet Battles (Polygon)

As the final scoreboard comes up, I’m already thinking of how I’ll approach the next round of Fleet Battle when Star Wars: Squadrons goes live this fall. Close communication will be key, as each of the five-on-five matches will be ranked during online play. The hardest part, I think, will be finding enough people with the right kind of skills — and the patience — for high-level ranked play.

Star Wars: Squadrons: what it’s like to fly every ship (Polygon)

After spending some time inside the cockpit of every starfighter in Star Wars: Squadrons, it’s clear that this new space combat simulation is much more finely-tuned.

The difference begins with the maps themselves. During a four-hour press event on Monday, I played Squadron’s new Dogfight mode, which pits two teams of five against each other. The map we played on was called Esseles, which in the lore of Star Wars, is a powerful Imperial listening post tucked away in a forgotten corner of the galaxy. In Squadrons, it feels more like a playground.

Star Wars: Squadrons is chaotic, exhilarating, and very difficult (The Verge)

It’s worth noting that Squadrons doesn’t seem like it will be for everyone. Just like how Fallen Order was a very specific type of action roleplaying game, Squadrons is trying to make a crossover space combat title that can appeal to hardcore fans and exist comfortably alongside genre mainstays like Elite: Dangerous. It’s a tough juggling act, and my biggest fear is that the steep difficulty curve means most players won’t be able to cut it when they get through the campaign and find that the multiplayer is all that’s left.

Star Wars: Squadrons Price A "Risk" But May Get People Curious, Says Director (Gamespot)

Star Wars: Squadrons was one of the biggest surprises of EA Play, a standalone dogfighting game that borrows inspirations from the classic TIE Fighter and X-Wing games. It's coming in at a surprising price point too: the budget-conscious $40. Creative director Ian Frazier says he's not too concerned with that creating a poor perception of the game, and that it felt right for the singular focus.

"Sure it's a risk, but ultimately this game is a very focused game, right?" Frazier told GameSpot. "This is not trying to be all things to all people. This is a Star Wars pilot game for people that want to be a pilot in Star Wars. What is the price point to reflect that? And at the same time, we know that a lot of people go, 'Flight games? I don't know about that. I've never tried that before. Not so sure.' And my hope is that that price point helps people that normally wouldn't consider a flight game go, 'For $40, let me check that out.' I think it's something that folks can be encouraged to give it a whirl. I think they can have a good time."

Star Wars Squadrons Hands-On Preview: Narrow but Deep, Like the Trench Run (IGN)

Squadrons knows what it’s about. It’s a very focused game, on a path as narrow and thrilling as any Death Star trench. If you’re into first-person space combat, I doubt a tighter package will come along this year. And if you’re a fan of multiplayer team sports, you could certainly have a lot of fun putting together a squad of fighter pilot friends and taking a run at becoming the scourge of the servers. The developers clearly have a lot of love for the Star Wars universe, as evidenced by the gorgeous, pop-art and propaganda-inspired cutscenes that help set the game apart from a generic Star Wars look. So if you yearn for a return to simpler days, but with a few new monkey wrenches thrown into the works to keep things interesting, Squadrons has a seat waiting for you.

Star Wars: Squadrons is an intricate dogfighter that offers complexity among the thrills (GameRadar+)

What's most exciting about my time with Star Wars: Squadrons is that it feels like I barely scratched the surface of what's possible. Whether it's the Fleet Battles I take part in that are enjoyably scrappy as everyone tries to figure out what the best plan of attack is, to the multi-minute dogfights that can see hunter become hunted in the blink of a second, there's clearly plenty of for talented pilots to learn and explore from just playing the game. How well you'll be able to may depend on if you can rally a squad together – or trust your skills flying with the people you're matched with online – but for now, it's shaping up to offer more depth and detail from piloting a starfighter than I could have hoped for. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pilot Briefing: Outfitting Your Squadron

Welcome back, pilots! This briefing is all about how you’ll customize your starfighters and pilots, both aesthetically with cosmetic items as well as functionally with ship components. Let’s start with the latter since that’ll be what impacts gameplay.

Thanks for the compilation of links, Wade!

I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. I really wish VR sets weren't so back ordered.

EDIT - Hmm, there seems to be a lot of auto-aim in those videos...I hope it's only for console. It looks like the lasers automatically track the target within a circle around the aiming reticle.

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Thanks for the compilation of links, Wade!

I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. I really wish VR sets weren't so back ordered.

EDIT - Hmm, there seems to be a lot of auto-aim in those videos...I hope it's only for console. It looks like the lasers automatically track the target within a circle around the aiming reticle.

There should be crossplay, so every platform should have it.  This mechanic is undoubtedly meant to speed up gameplay and empower pilots, otherwise I can see matches taking a long time when people have 1% hit accuracy.

But it would be awesome if they had an "ultra realism" mode that tweaked all the convenience features.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars: Squadrons (02 October 2020) - Information Thread, update: "Hunted" CG short trailer
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Squadrons is getting favorable reviews. I pre ordered last night for the extra cosmetics but can't wait to load it up tonight firing up my HOTAS.

Game Informer - 8.25

-Squadrons’ single-player may fizzle out frequently like a malfunctioning hyperdrive motivator, but the multiplayer continually impresses and is worth the price of entry alone. Flying in formation with a group of friends put a smile on my face, and that was just the calm before the storm. When the lasers start flying, Squadrons’ multiplayer can be nothing short of exhilarating and a great test of skill, pushing players to be clever in the cockpit to outthink and outmaneuver opponents. Given just how enjoyable it is to pilot an X-Wing or TIE Fighter, this is a multiplayer experience I will continually go back to, even if EA doesn’t support it with new content. It’s just fun to play, providing something different compared to most of today’s competitive games.

IGN Single Player Review - 8

- Star Wars: Squadrons’ single-player campaign missions are a feast for Star Wars fans’ eyes and ears, especially in VR. Its engaging space combat is a great balance of approachable arcade control with the added nuance of simulation-like systems, which combine with astonishingly detailed ships and cockpits for the most authentic-feeling ride since LucasArts’ legendary X-Wing and TIE Fighter games back in the ‘90s. Star Wars: Squadrons doesn’t end up doing anything too memorable with its charming characters or interesting rival squadron setup, but this campaign still tells an entertaining Star Wars story I enjoyed no matter which cockpit I was in.

Games Radar - 3.5/5

-If EA Star Wars games had started to become known for their huge ambition, then Squadrons is a timely reminder of what a singular focus can bring to an experience. This wants to be nothing more than a great place to fly a starfighter. In its best moments, it achieves that goal, living up to some of the older classics that players fell in love with. While the single-player doesn't quite deliver anything more compelling than a chance to get used to the game's style, the multiplayer seems primed to offer up plenty for those who have been waiting for an experience like this for quite some time. If that's enough in the long run remains to be seen, but for now, I'm off to tinker with my Ion Cannons. 

Polygon

-Simply put, Star Wars: Squadrons is the total package. If all you have at your disposal is a console, a decent TV, and a working controller, you’re going to have a wonderful time. If you have a throttle, stick, and rudder pedals, you’re really in for a treat. And, if you happen to be able to afford VR, you may never want to take that headset off again.

The Verge

-Squadrons is probably not the Star Wars game for everyone. The steep difficulty curve combined with the relatively limited campaign makes it more of a niche kind of game than other, more accessible Star Wars space combat titles. But for players willing to put in the time (and invest in the hardware), the end result is a game that brings you closer to flying around an X-Wing than ever before.

• The def star changed the title to Star Wars: Squadrons - Reviews Incoming