Star Wars: Squadrons OT- Lock S-Foils in Attack Position, update: December update to bring B-wing and TIE Defender

A few details from Resetera:

• Squadrons will feature a single player story mode set after the Battle of Endor and the destruction of the Death Star II. Alternating between two customisable pilots, the story will feature brand new characters, and cameos from familiar faces. The two pilots you play as will show you both sides of the game's conflict – one flies for the New Republic's Vanguard Squadron, and the other for the shattered Galactic Empire's Titan Squadron.
  • Multiplayer will take the form of 5v5 battles, with two modes announced. Fleet Battles will task each team with destroying the opposing teams flagship, while Dogfights will simply ask each team to destroy as many opponents as possible. Locations will be both known and unknown, with Yavin Prime and the shattered moon of Galitan announced so far.
  • Squadrons will include cosmetic and gameplay-related customisation, all upgrades will be earned solely through playing the game. Playing through the game will earn you weapons, hulls, engines and shields to allow you to tweak your starfighter into whatever you want it to be, while cosmetics will alter your cockpit, ship exterior and pilot.

Eeehhhhhhh...I think this will be a pass from me. 

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I wonder if there will be a bunch of AI fighters as well? It would seem...odd to have capital ships locked in combat with a single 5-ship squadron flying around.

I expect AI because BF2 has them in for starfighter assault. 

5v5 is disappointing.

Something that has been brought up is that due to the 5v5 nature of the game, they will probably make the NR and Imperial ships equivalent in power. That's fine for a game, I guess, but it does break the immersion. A single TIE Fighter is not equal to an X-Wing, that is why the Empire sends 100s of them at the Rebels. But if it's 5v5 and you've got similar lives or respawn times, then you have to make them equal.

32 minutes ago, Brick said:

5v5 seems low even with bots. The game being $40 is nice, but it's probably cheaper for a reason... 

Atleast I have Origin Premium. I do enjoy the service. Probably wouldnt have bought Anthem but I enjoyed it.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Something that has been brought up is that due to the 5v5 nature of the game, they will probably make the NR and Imperial ships equivalent in power. That's fine for a game, I guess, but it does break the immersion. A single TIE Fighter is not equal to an X-Wing, that is why the Empire sends 100s of them at the Rebels. But if it's 5v5 and you've got similar lives or respawn times, then you have to make them equal.

Aren't Tie Fighters faster and more maneuverable than X-wings? They just don't have the range or the armor, right?

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Aren't Tie Fighters faster and more maneuverable than X-wings? They just don't have the range or the armor, right?

I think X-Wings and TIEs are on equalish footing. The regular TIE might be slightly more maneuverable.  It's more over all survivability then armor. Mainly the X-Wing has shields while the TIE doesn't.

In defense of the Empire when you have a military for galactic needs you do need to make sacrifices to equip it. 

Do we really need to be canon? Pretty sure gameplay would suck, and people would complain if an X-Wing won 9 times out of 10 when facing a player using a TIE Fighter. 

If this was an asymmetric multiplayer game then maybe that could work and be interesting, sure. 

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

Do we really need to be canon? Pretty sure gameplay would suck, and people would complain if an X-Wing won 9 times out of 10 when facing a player using a TIE Fighter. 

If this was an asymmetric multiplayer game then maybe that could work and be interesting, 

I personally rather have a space combat sim but that isn't gonna be a mainstream megahit game and probably will never get made again. 

I just need to DL the older sims and the various mods and stuff for them. 

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

1v1 an X-Wing would win. Pretty much any rebel ship beats their Imperial counterpart. The Imperials win by sheer numbers. But in a 5v5 game that won't work, so they will likely make them equal.

You're basing this on what exactly? Both fighters have their strengths and weaknesses. Also, this:

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

If this was an asymmetric multiplayer game then maybe that could work and be interesting, sure. 

I am sure they will "balance" the ships in some way.  I am expecting this game to be somewhat "class-based" -- so it will be interesting to see which advantages/disadvantages they give to each ship.

For the record -- IMHO, Star Wars space combat is not "realistic" so I find it really hard to call any game based on it a "sim".

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're basing this on what exactly? Both fighters have their strengths and weaknesses. Also, this:

40+ years of info has stated that TIEs have no shields (so die from basically a bird flying into them), but are generally more maneuverable and maybe faster. I would personally rather see asymmetrical fights of something like 30v20. Or, even better, have points for each side, and balance that way. So something like:

Imperial:

• Fighter - 1
  • Interceptor - 2
  • Bomber - 2
  • Avenger - 3
  • Defender - 4

NR:

• X-Wing - 2
  • A-Wing - 3
  • B-Wing - 3
  • Y-Wing - 2
  • E-Wing - 4

And then each side gets 25 or 50 points or whatever to play with, and maybe a max cap of players (more for Imperials).

42 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am sure they will "balance" the ships in some way.  I am expecting this game to be somewhat "class-based" -- so it will be interesting to see which advantages/disadvantages they give to each ship.

For the record -- IMHO, Star Wars space combat is not "realistic" so I find it really hard to call any game based on it a "sim".

It's the widely agreed upon term for games like Wing Commander, X-Wing, etc. I guess we can go with tactical space combat games. 

While it's not a real setting that doesn't mean you can't make a "sim" based off of what rules can be established and extrapolated from the movies.

For example Arma 3 was originally supposed to have a scifi setting. While working on it they switched to near future. Would it not be a milsim if it was sci-fi? Simulating land and air warfare in the setting of the scifi world they envisioned.

Now yes the space sims of back in the day aren't as detailed as say the 300 plus page manuel I got for IL-2 teaching me how to dive bomb. So I can see where you are coming from but they would still be a tactical shooter compared to an arcade shooter. 

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

40+ years of info has stated that TIEs have no shields (so die from basically a bird flying into them), but are generally more maneuverable and maybe faster.

Yeah that's what I said... that does not necessarily translate to  "One on one, one ship is better than the other" it comes down to pilot skill like everything else. You're making it sound like a Tie Fighter vs an Xwing is an automatic loss... it's not like there was a game called Xwing vs TIE fighter or anything :p

Just now, Brick said:

I wonder, and hope, that if the game is good and sells well there is DLC to also include the prequel and sequel eras. Would also be nice to get a Death Star and Dwath Star II run. Would be fun playing those. 

I certainly hope so! Unfortunately with EA we're more likely to get 6 different game modes that split the fan base.

25 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It's the widely agreed upon term for games like Wing Commander, X-Wing, etc. I guess we can go with tactical space combat games. 

While it's not a real setting that doesn't mean you can't make a "sim" based off of what rules can be established and extrapolated from the movies.

For example Arma 3 was originally supposed to have a scifi setting. While working on it they switched to near future. Would it not be a milsim if it was sci-fi? Simulating land and air warfare in the setting of the scifi world they envisioned.

Now yes the space sims of back in the day aren't as detailed as say the 300 plus page manuel I got for IL-2 teaching me how to dive bomb. So I can see where you are coming from but they would still be a tactical shooter compared to an arcade shooter. 

My point was that the ships in the movies do not follow the laws of physics. I’m not sure the movies are all that consistent on the exact “physics” and capabilities that each ship has. 

So, the designers, IMHO, have some creative license in how they balance the gameplay between the two factions. I suspect this will be done in an asymmetric way. Perhaps they will even go so far as assigning points to each ship and giving each squadron a max points per round. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I certainly hope so! Unfortunately with EA we're more likely to get 6 different game modes that split the fan base.

Could also get a Battlefront scenario where this game is only OT, and then the sequel comes out with the PT and ST. "Here's all the things you wanted from the first game!" 

28 minutes ago, Brick said:

Could also get a Battlefront scenario where this game is only OT, and then the sequel comes out with the PT and ST. "Here's all the things you wanted from the first game!" 

I think you're right.  EA tends to want to create sequels, rather than continually release DLC.

Star Wars: Squadrons looks like the real deal, a first-person space combat sim to die for (Polygon)

Action sequences of space combat included starfighters skidding in sharp turns as in Battlestar Galactica, and boosting into the fight as seen in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. The in-cockpit HUD seems ripped straight from Star Wars: A New Hope, and features fully functional instrumentation. More than 50 ship modifications are available, including tractor beams, turrets, mines and more.

Star Wars: Squadrons, everything you need to know (Polygon interview with Creative Director)

I spoke to Frazier for over a half an hour. Our conversation covers topics such as the intricacies of the game’s flight model, how its narrative fits into the wider Star Wars timeline, and how the in-game systems themselves all work. We also touch on control inputs, and the seemingly strange features — like the continuous beam laser coming out of a TIE Bomber — that don’t seem to belong in a galaxy far, far away.