Star Wars: Squadrons OT- Lock S-Foils in Attack Position, update: December update to bring B-wing and TIE Defender

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Interesting that the ships slip when they turn. Definitely prevents endless circling.

I am more interested now. However...is this worth the $1000 for VR? Not sure. I really wish this was at least 12 v 12.

$1000 for VR? Lolololololololololololol WUT?

Everyone needs to read that Polygon interview.  If they actually implemented all of those mechanics into the game then this will have far more depth than Rogue Squadron and Starfighter Assault.  Just having the ability to split or dedicate resources among Shields, Lasers, and Engines is beyond them, but then to add mechanics to these categories is a great evolution of the Tie Figher/X-Wing model.  What makes TF/XW appear in depth is the granularity of control you have over where you spend your ship's resources.  I doubt we'll ever see that fine-grained granularity, but then again we probably don't need to.  Adding new ways to interact with the "environment", like the following quote suggests, is better than changing some number values.  

They’re chasing you, you’re chasing them, and you can never escape. So part of why we have this boost is to resolve that problem — in addition to getting my throttle dead center, and having power to engines helps me turn.

On top of that, if you boost you can then cut off the boost kind of mid-stream. That shuts off your engines completely, so you have a brief moment of drift where you can whip around in a 180 and shoot at them. Or do whatever you want! Change course and hit boost again, if you have more juice left. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well yeah but I'm getting a good one (PC). Actually I'd probably upgrade my PC, so more like 2,000. Also gotta add that 25% increase with currency difference.

You can get a Vive headset for $200. Upgrading your PC is not part of the cost of the VR headset. You could also get a PSVR.

15 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Everyone needs to read that Polygon interview.  If they actually implemented all of those mechanics into the game then this will have far more depth than Rogue Squadron and Starfighter Assault.  Just having the ability to split or dedicate resources among Shields, Lasers, and Engines is beyond them, but then to add mechanics to these categories is a great evolution of the Tie Figher/X-Wing model.  What makes TF/XW appear in depth is the granularity of control you have over where you spend your ship's resources.  I doubt we'll ever see that fine-grained granularity, but then again we probably don't need to.  Adding new ways to interact with the "environment", like the following quote suggests, is better than changing some number values.  

Thanks for the recommendation.

My personal highlights from the interview:

We’ve got a drift maneuver implemented in the game. This is just an example — but if you put your power to engines: First, putting your power to engines makes your ship faster, and it makes it turn better. In addition, where you sit on the throttle also determines your turn speed. So that combination of things is a way to be better at dogfighting in and of itself.

Another reason to max power to engines — not just put a few pips in it, but max it — is that when it’s maxed it builds like a boost charge, and that is a finite amount of crazy superspeed. And you can’t turn very well when you’re doing that. You can a little, but it’s really meant for forward blasting. Every dogfighting game has the problem of the death loop. You get stuck in the loop. They’re chasing you, you’re chasing them, and you can never escape. So part of why we have this boost is to resolve that problem — in addition to getting my throttle dead center, and having power to engines helps me turn.

On top of that, if you boost you can then cut off the boost kind of mid-stream. That shuts off your engines completely, so you have a brief moment of drift where you can whip around in a 180 and shoot at them. Or do whatever you want! Change course and hit boost again, if you have more juice left. So there’s stuff like that we’ve tried to do to take it beyond just the core World War II feeling, but to give it something a little special on top

Those are the three core categories, assuming that you have a ship that has shields. Not all of them do.

Putting points in lasers period makes the lasers recharge faster. So you can shoot more regardless of which specific kind of laser you have equipped on your ship. And, similarly, putting power in shields makes your shields regen faster, regardless of specifics. But, if you max either of those systems? In the case of lasers, it’ll overcharge the lasers. Overcharging an engine is building that boost capacity which will, the moment you stop maxing engines, you’ll slowly bleed that off. It decays back, and you don’t go to zero but you lose you afterburner fuel. With full power in lasers, once they’re fully charged they’ll keep charging so you get it up to a double bar, and all of that double bar is doing extra damage.

I think from a conceptual standpoint, the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniature Game is absolutely an inspiration to us. A bunch of us on the team love that game. As far as the specifics, we’re not like, “I want this one countermeasure from the X-Wing mini’s game.” Most of them wouldn’t really translate to video game form anyway. But we are looking toward films, to the shows.

This was awesome, as I am a huge fan of the X-Wing game -- my son and I play it quite a bit.

There’s a hull you can take on some of the ships, a Reflec Hull, that makes you more fragile, like straight up reduces your hit points on the ship, the whole hull health of the ship. But it automatically stealths you, hides you from enemy radar after you get past a certain distance. So it’s the kind of thing that can really help you get behind enemy lines, or surprise them, or just get away. There’s lots of stuff like that, both for the passives and actives, that help that issue you’re talking about, that fatigue. “Every fight is the same!” Well, once you have all seven different slots on your ship for different components plus, you know, the other four members of your team who all can take their own things, suddenly you get a lot more variety and a lot more to keep track of, even in a core dogfight, let alone the Fleet Battle mode.

Lots of other great stuff in there.

8 hours ago, elbobo said:

my only concern is how limited visibility is going to be with the forced cockpit view. 

I hated flying the Y-Wing in the old X-Wing game for that reason. From the video it looks like they've eliminated some of that, there is pretty good visibility. And with VR....aw yeah. I hope the TIEs have top and bottom windows as well.

18 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not upgrading from my Vive until there’s a wireless PC headset that doesn’t need IR sensors or cameras.

Rift S is still the best PC headset still? I want one for this, Alyx, and Rick and Morty.

32 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Rift S is still the best PC headset still? I want one for this, Alyx, and Rick and Morty.

When I get a headset, I'll probably get a Quest. You can play standalone wire-free games, and you can still connect it to PC with a cable. I think the Rift S might have some minor advantages over quest if you're only comparing wired-PC games to it, but they seemed minimal if memory serves.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

No. The Valve Index is far and away the gold standard atm. The screen being RGB and not the shitty pentile screen all others use is huge as it removes screen door due to having a proper sub-pixel count. It also has a better FOV and the Index Controllers are the current best out there for VR. The biggest downside is that there’s no wireless adapter yet.

4 hours ago, legend said:

When I get a headset, I'll probably get a Quest. You can play standalone wire-free games, and you can still connect it to PC with a cable. I think the Rift S might have some minor advantages over quest if you're only comparing wired-PC games to it, but they seemed minimal if memory serves.

Watch some HL: Alyx headset comparisons with the Quest. It’s seems to be very janky when connected to a PC in general... plus tte FOV is extremely narrow in the Quest. I was going to replace my Vive with one until I saw some reviews with it in action connected to a PC :/ ... plus you lose the whole wireless benefit when using the PC Link Cable. I realized it was best to just wait for the next gen to come out.

To sum it up: once I started researching Quest PC Link performance, I was incredibly disappointed. :( 

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Huh? Why wouldn’t the Index work with Rick & Morty? :confused:

7 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

The game page doesn't mention it or does that not matter?

Looks like they don't, or work well anyway

https://steamcommunity.com/app/469610/discussions/0/1644292549023121624/

Got this and played through earlier and the lack of support on index is a real letdown, but I have the Vive wands as well but they are nowhere near as comfortable to use.

Index controllers work but they handle like hot garbage in this title. Trigger and grip do the same thing and without proper support the game tends to get confused to whether you are gripping or not. Raising your wrist up to your face doesnt register unless you basically touch the HMD with the edge of the index controller, while it is more responsive with the Vive wands.

Hey everyone. Catching up on this after someone pinged us about this at our support email.

We've removed the Index from the compatible device list for now. We're going to look into what's going on with it and do some testing.

We currently are not actively changing/patching/updating the game right now. So this is NOT a promise for a fix. Can't promise nothing. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

The game page doesn't mention it or does that not matter?

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks like they don't, or work well anyway

https://steamcommunity.com/app/469610/discussions/0/1644292549023121624/

Ah, it seems to be an issue with the controllers and not the headset. Hopefully that gets patched. I’m planning on getting Index Controllers for my Vive eventually too. :/ 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

No. The Valve Index is far and away the gold standard atm. The screen being RGB and not the shitty pentile screen all others use is huge as it removes screen door due to having a proper sub-pixel count. It also has a better FOV and the Index Controllers are the current best out there for VR. The biggest downside is that there’s no wireless adapter yet.

Watch some HL: Alyx headset comparisons with the Quest. It’s seems to be very janky when connected to a PC in general... plus tte FOV is extremely narrow in the Quest. I was going to replace my Vive with one until I saw some reviews with it in action connected to a PC :/ ... plus you lose the whole wireless benefit when using the PC Link Cable. I realized it was best to just wait for the next gen to come out.

To sum it up: once I started researching Quest PC Link performance, I was incredibly disappointed. :( 

Hmm. I've heard different things anecdotally but I'll check again before I decide to get one. My plan was to go wireless whenever there is an option  (ie. game is also on Quest proper) and only wire when pc is the only route. 

If reasonably priced next gen headsets come out before I buy I won't object though!

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Index might be technically better...but is it worth it over the Rift S for 2x the money?

By all accounts: Yes.

8 hours ago, legend said:

Hmm. I've heard different things anecdotally but I'll check again before I decide to get one. My plan was to go wireless whenever there is an option  (ie. game is also on Quest proper) and only wire when pc is the only route. 

If reasonably priced next gen headsets come out before I buy I won't object though!

Yup. Anecdotally I heard different things as well... then I watched professional reviews and saw it was a step backwards from my OG Vive in many ways when attached to a PC. :/ 
The best thing to watch is the headset comparison videos for Alyx, IMO.

I think this one showed a lot of issues with Quest:

Other reviews I watched showed similar issues when using the PC Link Cable: the headset losing connection for split-seconds when moving too quickly. It’s VERY possible these issues could be fixed through firmware and/or software updates, but, it seems like the Quest just wasn’t meant to attach to a PC... plus, that low FOV kills me considering I already think my Vive is a little narrow (I can’t imagine it being even smaller).

• Thanks 2