Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (08 September 2020) - Information Thread, update: first reviews from OpenCritic posted

THQ Nordic is set to publish Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, with nicer graphics and refined gameplay.

A listing on the Microsoft Store confirms that Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning will release on August 11. According to the product description it is "remastered with stunning visuals and refined gameplay," and all DLC will be included.

In case you are wondering, THQ Nordic bought the IP from the state of Rhode Island for $900,000.

I really enjoyed it the first time around, but made the mistake of running to all of the different zones early on, thus locking all of the enemy levels really low. Once I found out that the regions had level ranges, but that they locked to whatever was most appropriate for your level when first entering I didn't want to go back to before I did that. I stopped to play some other game at that point and never went back. I do have fond memories of being chases across an entire region by enemies I had no chance against as I tried to get to the next town.

I'll grab this and give it another go. I just hope they balance out the dialogue levels, I remember the lore narration that happened at certain marker things being super off from everything else.

This is one of my favorite action RPGs. While the story and characters aren't the greatest and there's an overabundance of boring/longwinded lore throughout, the colorful/varied high fantasy game world, quests and overall gameplay/combat are all topnotch.

I consider it to be one of the more underappreciated and underrated games of last gen, so I'm glad that they're rereleasing an updated version of it for those who might have missed it the first time.

The development of KoA: Reckoning isn't too complicated. Big Huge Games was making an action RPG. 38 Studios liked what they saw and asked them to change their game to take place in the KoA world that they were building for their MMO. 38 Studios bought Big Huge Games and they made KoA: Reckoning, it sold well enough to be profitable and had two expansions.

Unfortunately the 38 Studios story was a huge mess. They went under trying to make an MMO with a Star Citizen like development cycle, but without the unlimited donor funding. The funding shenanigans they tried didn't work and they unfortunately took Big Huge Games with them.

• 1 month later...

The day of Re-Reckoning is coming! Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is scheduled for release September 8th, 2020 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, featuring stunning visuals, refined gameplay and all new content!

What does the future hold for the Fateless One? A brand new expansion, Fatesworn, will introduce all new content to Amalur 2021!

On 6/6/2020 at 4:28 AM, SimpleG said:

The story of Schilling the video game wunderkind and the 75 million loan,great stuff.

Whoever thought it was smart to get in business with the biggest idiot in baseball to make a video game should be exiled from the world of man. 

i bought this game at launch and could just never get into it. It didn’t seem bad, I just had much better games to play.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, number305 said:

I'm thinking about jumping on this.  But man for a remaster the graphics don't look like much.  It just kinda looks like they upped the resolution and that's it.  But I have never played it so I'm interested.

I'm sure if you max out all the settings it looks pretty good, we'll see what reviews say.

3 hours ago, number305 said:

I'm thinking about jumping on this.  But man for a remaster the graphics don't look like much.  It just kinda looks like they upped the resolution and that's it.  But I have never played it so I'm interested.

My same thought. I was pretty interested in trying it but I was hoping the graphics were gonna be updated a lot more. 

Game Information

Game Title: Kingdoms Of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

Platforms:

• PC (Sep 8, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Sep 8, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 8, 2020)

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator: 

OpenCritic - 75 average - 70% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

I would have liked to have seen shorter load times and a revised inventory management system so that players can more easily avoid spending so much time in their inventory, but these are things that could very well be addressed with patching. Those two gripes aside, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is an awesome game and a wonderful experience to sink into.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5 stars

This "Re-Reckoning" doesn't do anything more than test the waters for a potential future for the franchise, but I do think it deserves one. It has been a real pleasure to have the opportunity to re-experience this game.

GamePitt - 9 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is one of the best Action RPG games out there, and now you can easily play it on modern consoles! The combat is very satisfying, the customisation is plentiful, the environments are beautiful and vibrant, and the wide variety of quests will keep you busy for hours (even after you’ve finished the main story). With over 100 hours of content to play through, two DLCs, five factions with their own storyline, and the main quest, there’s never a dull moment as you travel the world seeking dangers to slaughter and people to help. There are a few issues with crashing, stuttering and horrendously slow loading times (at this point), but I imagine the technical issues will be addressed with upcoming patches.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning changes little from its original release because it doesn't need to. This is immediately one of the best RPGs you can play this entire generation.

33bits - Spanish - 85 / 100

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is an excellent title for anyone who wants the MMORPG experience but without the need for an internet connection or paying a monthly fee. You will find an RPG with a fun and varied combat system and tons of content that will give you more than a hundred hours in addition to a solid and stable performance with a clear visual quality at all times despite its long load times. A more interesting plot and lore is what it lacks to gain more popularity in an industry where the genre is not scarce.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.5 / 10

Ironically, this straightforward mix of Roleplay and Hack n Slay still holds up strong today. The element that might seem apalling to hardcore RPG-Fans is the same element that saved it from getting irrelevant - easy accessibility! Combined with the motivating story it is still as fun to play in the present as it was back then.

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10

It may not be the most important remake of the year, but Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a gorgeous, dense, and charming adventure.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning balances difficulty issues and shows it's magical world in 4K. The "MMORPG for introverts" is now available for current consoles, but PC players might stick to their copies of the original game.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.2 / 10

If even the original game wasn't able to take that extra step and stand out among its competition, you shouldn't expect that its remastered version will be able to accomplish this task. Nevertheless, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning remains enjoyable despite its age. It is a "vintage" game, capable of entertaining for hours (and hours and hours and hours) with its classic fantasy story full of fantastic creatures, epic legends and fairy lands.

BaziCenter - Persian - 8 / 10

Finally, surfing the enormous kingdoms world of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is to understand that all the creators of the Rimster version have done is increase the resolution and improve the game's technical graphics relatively. No change has been made to the gameplay body, and when a game of eight years ago, without any change is now experienceable and even enjoyable in the final months of the eighth generation, it shows that the original version had little to do with a masterpiece.

DualShockers - 8 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur is still a damn fun game to play in 2020, jankiness, and all. Galavanting across the wilds, exploring caves, and helping (and murdering), the townsfolk never stopped being fun, and I was always looking forward to what new piece of gear or fight I would get into next.

FingerGuns - 8 / 10

Looks like Warcraft, plays like Fable, Amalur brings nothing new to the table. An RPG-lite, if you will, there’s enough for casual players to have fun with, as well as hardcore players to sink time into.

GaminGuardian - Spanish - 8 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning has made me feel something similar to my first contact with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, thus reliving one of the most enjoyable RPG experiences of my life as a player.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 80 / 100

A notable remastered work, especially when you take into account the original game's limitations, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a great way to discover this universe and a well earned second chance for a game that was unfairly forgotten.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8 / 10

A fairly easy and light RPG experience. Kingdoms of Amalur is a game that rewards the player with new gadgets and powers and tries to be a nice, laid back experience.

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

You’d be hard-pressed to find a 30-to-60 hour RPG with a lot of meat & teeth in its gameplay & story for just US$40.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is just as fun as it was eight years ago. Though the game didn't get any updates to its inventory management system or the criminally long load times, the combat is still great and the vast world is a blast to explore.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a weird release. It doesn’t have any substantial improvements compared to the original, and maybe on PC there’s going to be less of difference than for consoles. So if you have the original on PC, there’s basically little reason to upgrade except to play the upcoming Fatesworn expansion next year. That said, if you’ve never experienced this game, now’s a great time. Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning really holds up as a great RPG filled to the brim with content, and its build-your-own class system remains a highlight, backed with some really fun combat. Don’t miss out on one of 2012’s best games now.

Sirus Gaming - 8 / 10

Whether you’re a fan of the original game or you haven’t played that and are just planning to explore a new open-world RPG, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a must-try for its fun combat, exploration, interesting narrative, and the wide experience it provides. Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning may not be that compelling as a remastered work, but what it already is is quite compelling enough.

ThisGenGaming - 8 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning isn’t the most impressive remaster out there but for those who missed out on this grand action-RPG the first time I can’t recommend it enough. The graphics and camera system show their age but the rich world, smooth combat system, and huge amount of content within make this trip to save Amalur worth it for any RPG lover out there.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning finally gives a second chance to one of the best role-playing games released in the previous console generation, making the gameplay even better with select balance tweaks that increase the challenge level and make it easier to engage with side content. Despite some issues and a dated gameplay design, the game's battle system, great writing and extremely deep lore make Re-Reckoning a game that most role-playing game fans will enjoy. Especially if they like juggling enemies to death.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.9 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning is one of those rare cases which a remastered has got its sense out of commercial reasons. A fine tuned narrative background plays well with a stylish system and shining environments, with some good ideas both on scenography and characters. If you will have the will to overcome a game structure that directly comes from 2012, you can rediscover a very underrated game. Let's just hope they will fix its technical issues.

Cultured Vultures - 7.5 / 10

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is less of a wholesale remaster and more of a reminder of the original's quality outside the hype bubble and separated from its controversies. With this second chance, Amalur stands on its own as a weird and often wonderful action RPG.

GAMES.CH - German - 75 / 100

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning remains a good role-playing game with an extensive game world, hundreds of quest and a great storyline. The fighting system is still fun, and the remastered version looks much better than the original. There is a lack to current gen potential, some grinding and many generic sidequests. But the game is still worth to play, especially if you stick to the main quest.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5 / 10

Whether you played this back in 2012 or missed it the first time around, this is definitely an action-RPG worth experiencing. The fluid combat, gripping story, and detailed lore makes this a thoroughly enjoyable experience. There's not a lot of new stuff been added but the tweaks to the area level system and new difficulty are very welcome additions. Now is the perfect time to refresh your memory of this delightful adventure and get ready for the expansion next year.

Pure Playstation - 7.5 / 10

Overall, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a very good game. If you enjoy fantasy or just cool monster design you’ll probably get a kick out of this. If you can get past the beginning you’ll have a great time heading through the world and letting the story unfold around you.

RedTieGuy - 7.5 / 10

Re-Recking is a solid experience for any RPG fan.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

If you've never played this game before, or if you want to dive back into it but don't have access to an older copy, Re-Reckoning is easy to recommend- but only because the game itself is as good as it is. If you were hoping for an impressive visual upgrade, this isn't it, and those who already have access to a copy of the original game should probably save their money.

GamingTrend - 70 / 100

Re-Reckoning is the most barebones remaster it could possibly be. It's only barely been touched up visually, and the most gameplay changes are under the hood. If you've already played the game, there's no reason to return here.

Nexus - 7 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning still plays much the way it did in 2012 – ambitious in scope but lacking in depth. You may not be compelled to see it through to the end, but you’ll enjoy most of the time spent with it.

RPG Site - 7 / 10

A solid introduction to a world that may no longer bed dead, but suffers from overstuffed quest design and mashy combat.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning is a good solid remaster, just don't expect much to have changed compared to the original. The world is as magical fantasy as you could get, and it really does draw you in, but some technical issues and a number of repetitive quests can dull the otherwise colourful experience.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 68 / 100

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a good game with a strong storyline, fluid combat system, and advanced character customization. While it's not a perfect remaster, it's a good option for players who haven't played before and for those looking to experience it on next-generation consoles.

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10

Divorced from its original chaotic development, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning feels like a remix of old gaming trends that are pleasant, if a bit generic.

GameSpace - 6 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning provides the best possible way for old fans and new adventurers alike to check out the world of Amalur. However, before purchasing the game you have to know what you are getting for you money - an HD version of highly polished 2012 game with or without an upcoming DLC depending on your edition. 

Quality of life, UI and many other aspects of the game fit the time of its original release. If you are not put off by rough around the edges gameplay, the world of Amalur awaits!

GameWatcher - 6 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur was one of the most underrated games of the previous decade and its return will make that pretty clear to some players. However, the remastering of this borderline classic is hamstrung by a 2012 inventory and menu system, a 2012 user interface, and 2012 icons and health bar.

IGN - 6 / 10

Re-Reckoning is a reminder of what made the original great in 2012, but mostly a testament to how far we've come since.

PC Invasion - 6 / 10

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-reckoning is a handful of solid gameplay systems trapped in a world that's lost its magic. There's plenty to play with as far as combat and crafting are concerned, but the game is defined by its decision to choose quantity over quality.

IGN Middle East - Arabic - 5 / 10

Reckoning was a good game in 2012 but porting it to 2020 with all its issues was very disappointing, a truly missed chance to make this entertaining game more fun and enjoyable

ACG - Wait for Sale

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Yep. Open world GaaS'es riddled with microtransactions and season passes. How lucky are we?

I was thinking the same exact thing when I kept seeing reviews for Re-Reckoning mentioning how far we've come since the release of the original back in 2012. :lol: Current gaming seems like one step forward, two steps back as far as I'm concerned.