Tracking the ‘Murder Hornet’: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America

Sightings of the Asian giant hornet have prompted fears that the vicious insect could establish itself in the United States and devastate bee populations.

With queens that can grow to two inches long, Asian giant hornets can use mandibles shaped like spiked shark fins to wipe out a honeybee hive in a matter of hours, decapitating the bees and flying away with the thoraxes to feed their young. For larger targets, the hornet’s potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.

In Japan, the hornets kill up to 50 people a year. Now, for the first time, they have arrived in the United States.

8JP3v5w.png

• Sad 1

Their venom can desolve flesh, and they can shoot it out at you, AND they aim for your eyes, AND IT HAS A PHEROMONE IN IT THAT ATTRACTS OTHER HORNETS TO COME AND ATTACK YOU! 

This year is fucked up. 

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

Their venom can desolve flesh, and they can shoot it out at you, AND they aim for your eyes, AND IT HAS A PHEROMONE IN IT THAT ATTRACTS OTHER HORNETS TO COME AND ATTACK YOU! 

This year is fucked up. 

Like I needed one more reason to stay in. 

HTF is this the natural evolution of hornets? The world is trying to kill us. 

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

I, for one, welcome our new murder hornet overlords.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

kill it

With fire.

54 minutes ago, Brick said:

This year is fucked up. 

So it's basically a supervillain.

48 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

We've been too removed from nature... the world HAS ALWAYS BEEN TRYING TO KILL US. That's why we're killing IT first. I've been saying for YEARS that nature fucking SUCKS.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

What part of that wouldn't make it a natural evolution? There's nothing human-specific there. Going for the eyes with a tiny, flesh-melting stinger would be a super effective way of keeping predators away, especially ones with thick fur and pelts. It just so happens that we squishy, furless humans also have eyeballs and flesh!

48 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

What part of that wouldn't make it a natural evolution? There's nothing human-specific there. Going for the eyes with a tiny, flesh-melting stinger would be a super effective way of keeping predators away, especially ones with thick fur and pelts. It just so happens that we squishy, furless humans also have eyeballs and flesh!

Forgive me for not being worried if bears or wolves get killed. I’m more concerned if I see a pack of these flying at my face trying to bukkake neurotoxin on me. 

19 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

This is fake right??

I don't think so.

Have you ever seen the video of 30 of them attacking a beehive and murdering 30,000 bees in a few hours? It's basically a fucking horror movie. They decapitate them with their mandibles and then carry off the bees babies to feast upon.

I haven't seen this video in years and I thought of it immediately when I saw this story because...well...it makes quite the impression...

6 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I don't think so.

Have you ever seen the video of 30 of them attacking a beehive and murdering 30,000 bees in a few hours? It's basically a fucking horror movie. They decapitate them with their mandibles and then carry off the bees babies to feast upon.

I haven't seen this video in years and I thought of it immediately when I saw this story because...well...it makes quite the impression...

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We've been too removed from nature... the world HAS ALWAYS BEEN TRYING TO KILL US. That's why we're killing IT first. I've been saying for YEARS that nature fucking SUCKS.

You sounds like one of those assholes who says shit like "only good snake is a dead snake." I play with snakes, btw.

That said, these fuckers need to die. I already hate regular wasps.