~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

The article's a bit weird, and maybe I'm misreading it, because it talks about the spike in demand outstripping new construction, but ties it to homeownership eluding millennials for the past decade.

This is the first line:

And then:

The headline should be different because the theme seems to be, "After not being able to afford homes, the surge in millennials buying homes amid a lumber shortage and high home prices could screw them again."

Nobody drives to work. There's too much traffic.

7 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Nobody drives to work. There's too much traffic.

I feel there's a difference between this analogy that just requires you to use the road, however congested, and buying a home that has to be available and affordable in order to live in it?

I’ve got a meeting in Austin on Monday at the Circuit of the Americas racetrack about partnering with them to build out a drive in on their property. We have a pretty good formula to employ now for working with properties that don’t use their parking lots after dark. This would be a pretty nice get if it works out.

6 minutes ago, elbobo said:

House next to one of my friends just sold for over 30% more than asking, it is not in a desirable neighborhood or even desirable county, upstate NY. This seems healthy and sustainable. 

Everything is crazy right now.

My neighbor bought at 715k in 2019 and is selling at 915k lol. 

I'm selling in a few months so I hope it benefits me. 

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I had debated getting a condo here in Portland instead of paying rent for an apartment, but I imagine this bubble is bound to burst soon. 

It's driven by lack of supply rather than speculation (as it was in 2006-08-ish) I don't see this letting up until and unless we build more housing. Just open up FRED and search "housing inventory" and look at a lot of that data, then search "population"

f6QC7a7.jpg

EfAXVNp.jpg

YV8KkDH.jpg

Add in the downward blip on the far right in the second graph causing massive shocks to the supply chain (lumber and employment primarily) and we're probably looking at prices not really decreasing anytime soon. I'm no housing economist but I know people have to live somewhere and it doesn't appear that we're building enough housing, let alone housing in the right places, to keep things affordable, to say nothing of the other issues facing the market regarding input costs.

Jesus. Looked at some more stuff, and the median price per square foot for listings had increased by 50% since early 2017, and about 20% since the beginning of 2020. All of this with new homes having a median square footage for listings smaller than they've been in ages, from 1880 sqft to about 1720 sqft. So paying far more for smaller houses.

49 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Jesus. Looked at some more stuff, and the median price per square foot for listings had increased by 50% since early 2017, and about 20% since the beginning of 2020. All of this with new homes having a median square footage for listings smaller than they've been in ages, from 1880 sqft to about 1720 sqft. So paying far more for smaller houses.

I am in a new neighborhood and new builds are now starting(very basic) around $180 per sqft. I built for around $155/sqft back in 2017 with a lot of upgrades, same street same builder. It would be probably be $230-240/sqft to build me house now.

3 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I am in a new neighborhood and new builds are now starting(very basic) around $180 per sqft. I built for around $155/sqft back in 2017 with a lot of upgrades, same street same builder. It would be probably be $230-240/sqft to build me house now.

For my next place I'm considering building v buying. I've bought twice, both new construction, but I'm wondering if I go custom this time. 

8 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Does the increases cost in lumber have any impact on that pricing?

On 4/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, sblfilms said:

I’ve got a meeting in Austin on Monday at the Circuit of the Americas racetrack about partnering with them to build out a drive in on their property. We have a pretty good formula to employ now for working with properties that don’t use their parking lots after dark. This would be a pretty nice get if it works out.

Moonstruck @ COTA is tentatively set to open May 28th :dancing:

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

How tall are you / wifey?

Me 6’3”, her maaaaaybr 5’ even. I’m the second shortest of 4 boys, she’s the third tallest of 4 girls. Spread could have been even larger!

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Me 6’3”, her maaaaaybr 5’ even. I’m the second shortest of 4 boys, she’s the third tallest of 4 girls. Spread could have been even larger!

I’m 5’7” and my first GF in high school was 5’ tall and I felt like I towered over her. Do you just... walk into her sometimes?

When the pandemic hit and unemployment got overwhelmed, there were groups you could join on facebook where you just uploaded your venmo username and people would randomly send you like $10 or whatever. Most people are nice. It's important to remember that sometimes. On our last night before shutdown, I made like $600 in tips at the bar because everyone knew I was about to be laid off.