Jump to content

~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~


Jason
 Share

Recommended Posts

One of the things about America that I envy is there is the legal ability to set a federal minimum wage. Here, employment is a provincial matter, so you have a disparity. I think min wages in Canada rage from around $11.25/hr to $16.00/hr. The federal minimum is $15, but that only applies to federally regulated industries (banking, airlines, railways, etc)...areas where few people would be making min wage anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe said:


I’m surprised Oregon wouldn’t be better about this. One of the fields I check every week is “I quit my job because of COVID 19.”

We don't have that option. There is a "I am temporarily laid off because of COVID and expect to work again" but there is no "I quit because of COVID." We're still bound by refusal to work, unless in extreme circumstances, like you broke your leg or something.

 

Technically you could tell your employer that you broke your leg, then claim it on unemployment, and it's not like anyone's going to verify that information. Still, unemployment fraud is not something I particularly want to fuck with. When the state overpays you, they will eventually want that money back. And when they want it back, they don't ask. They take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

One of the things about America that I envy is there is the legal ability to set a federal minimum wage. Here, employment is a provincial matter, so you have a disparity. I think min wages in Canada rage from around $11.25/hr to $16.00/hr. The federal minimum is $15, but that only applies to federally regulated industries (banking, airlines, railways, etc)...areas where few people would be making min wage anyway.

If it weren't for the fact that this stuff was long ingrained historically it would not be so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I guess my high property taxes are paying for something, after all.

 

When I was buying my house this year, I looked into the differences between Canada and America's housing markets...and it's wild. For something you'd think would be so similar, the balances are all out of whack. For instance, in Canada our property taxes (apparently) tend to be much lower, as well as our mortgage rates (I got 1.59% fixed, in March). However, the base price of homes is much higher, as well as sales and income taxes. In the end people pay roughly the same in Canada and the US when you combine all taxes, but the way they are all collected is quite a different balance. Part of that likely comes down to differences in how our federalisms are balanced between state/province and federal government, part is just weight of history. I think a result of this is that local (as in municipal/county) governments in the US tend to be much stronger, while in Canada more power ends up residing in provincial/federal governments. This could also have to do with Canada's greater pop density in fewer urban areas relative to the US. Our "counties" (called Rural Municipalities or Counties, depending on the province) tend to be much weaker and play smaller roles in our lives.

 

It's really interesting comparing differences between the two countries that are arguably closest (in terms of most things) in the western world.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unemployment in Texas is paid for via taxes on all employers. It's something really small for firms that don't have a history of many claims, like .3% on wages up to $9000 per year. The max rate is around 2.7% for the employers with the worst record of unemployment claims. The state still hasn't set the rate for 2021 because they are still reeling from how much was paid out in 2020, but it is likely that most employers will see rates 3-4x what they would have been if not for Covid so the state can replenish the UE fund.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Unemployment in Texas is paid for via taxes on all employers. It's something really small for firms that don't have a history of many claims, like .3% on wages up to $9000 per year. The max rate is around 2.7% for the employers with the worst record of unemployment claims. The state still hasn't set the rate for 2021 because they are still reeling from how much was paid out in 2020, but it is likely that most employers will see rates 3-4x what they would have been if not for Covid so the state can replenish the UE fund.

 

Ouch, but it makes sense. Here, EI is a national system, and employees and employers both pay into it on paycheques. I don't think it will go up, but that's likely because the government is just taking on general national debt to cover the current EI claims. I think Canada did the better initial job on getting payments out to people with CERB (since it's easier for a single, national government to pivot on social issues, and all you had to do was literally click a box online to get it), but I think the US has done a better job overall, looking back, since it also gave out those bonus cheques and top-ups. I wish Canada had done the same. However, it's great that in both cases income equality seems to have shrunken during the pandemic due to aid to working people. I really hope that keeps up in both cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

210503090604-us-factory-workers-jobs-fil
AMP.CNN.COM

Demand for goods is skyrocketing as the US economy reopens from the pandemic. But there's a big problem: American factories can't find enough people to do the work.

 

Part of it is wages, the other is the lack of specific skilled workers (which of course could be solved by higher wages to draw people into the trade).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
210503090604-us-factory-workers-jobs-fil
AMP.CNN.COM

Demand for goods is skyrocketing as the US economy reopens from the pandemic. But there's a big problem: American factories can't find enough people to do the work.

 

Part of it is wages, the other is the lack of specific skilled workers (which of course could be solved by higher wages to draw people into the trade).

Having to not go into debt to learn a skill or a degree would also be helpful. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not far off. Eggs and Milk are particularly expensive.

 

You can do better than that on eggs at least and I'd expect bread too, but yeah those sound about right. Not sure about milk since I buy lactose free so hard to really minimize the price you're paying once you're buying that (just because not a lot of options).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Hey, looks like more houses and apartments may be coming back onto the market sooner than expected...

 

106814388-1608565385821-gettyimages-1228
WWW.CNBC.COM

A federal judge struck down on Wednesday the national eviction moratorium, potentially leaving millions of Americans at risk of losing their homes.

 

 

 

My guess is that this will be stayed until judgement from a higher court. Kicking millions of people out of their homes feels kind of irreparably harmy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

My guess is that this will be stayed until judgement from a higher court. Kicking millions of people out of their homes feels kind of irreparably harmy.

 

It's going to happen one way or the other, right? None of the stimulus checks were enough to dig people out of their holes and for families, the child tax check don't start hitting until later this summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Hey, looks like more houses and apartments may be coming back onto the market sooner than expected...

 

106814388-1608565385821-gettyimages-1228
WWW.CNBC.COM

A federal judge struck down on Wednesday the national eviction moratorium, potentially leaving millions of Americans at risk of losing their homes.

 

Quote

The decision by Friedrich of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, who was appointed to the court in 2017 by former President Donald Trump,

There it is, that's the shit right there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

with any luck by this date it won't matter, but this is a great example of why it would be great if the feds ran the unemployment system, since they have to backstop it at critical times anyway

 

 

Wow.

 

So much like Obamacare, but even more egregious in this case, they are leaving federal money on the table, screwing over their own people, just to own the libs.

 

I say it's even worse because with the Medicaid expansions there was at least some catch or phase in where the state had to start paying some of the bill. But with this it is 100% federal money they are just refusing to take, right? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

 

@Jason @skillzdadirecta @californians

 

Are prices really like that?  And how long have they been that way, since Cali just recently went to $14\hr.

 

 

On 5/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Not far off. Eggs and Milk are particularly expensive.

 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:50 PM, Jason said:

 

You can do better than that on eggs at least and I'd expect bread too, but yeah those sound about right. Not sure about milk since I buy lactose free so hard to really minimize the price you're paying once you're buying that (just because not a lot of options).

 

If you buy name brand bread those tend to be expensive. If you get store brand, like Kroger brand then it is $1.25

Milk is a bit lower at $3.20 a gallon. Personally I've rarely ever gone for the gallon, I go for the half gallon at a dollar less. Oat Milk is the same as gallon of regular milk though. (Which is what I actually buy now)

And yeah you can do better on eggs around $2.90

 

But I'm pretty sure these prices have been the same even when minimum wage was lower. 🤷‍♀️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

 

 

If you buy name brand bread those tend to be expensive. If you get store brand, like Kroger brand then it is $1.25

Milk is a bit lower at $3.20 a gallon. Personally I've rarely ever gone for the gallon, I go for the half gallon at a dollar less. Oat Milk is the same as gallon of regular milk though. (Which is what I actually buy now)

And yeah you can do better on eggs around $2.90

 

But I'm pretty sure these prices have been the same even when minimum wage was lower. 🤷‍♀️

 

Yeah that's what I thought, and those prices aren't much off of Indiana's.  Milk is around $2.50\gal, cheap bread is $1, and eggs are $1.75\18cnt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a letter in the mail from Joe "Where The Fuck Is My Money" Biden this week reminding me he got me a whole $74, $62 of which was just debited from my account to pay what I owed on my tax return. Thanks Joebama! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I got a letter in the mail from Joe "Where The Fuck Is My Money" Biden this week reminding me he got me a whole $74, $62 of which was just debited from my account to pay what I owed on my tax return. Thanks Joebama! 

Sounds like you got $12, thanks Joe!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

with any luck by this date it won't matter, but this is a great example of why it would be great if the feds ran the unemployment system, since they have to backstop it at critical times anyway

 

 

 

I like to play a game where I predict what the GOP is going to do by just imagining the most horrible, evil thing possible. And turns out to be right a lot of the time.

 

In this case, my initial reaction was not only is this evil, but also dumb because of how much free money it leaves on the table. But upon further reflection, how much you want to bet SC(or some other red state) does this and then sues the Feds to say that they want all of the money that would have went to UI, only they're going to hand it out in tax breaks to companies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

 

I like to play a game where I predict what the GOP is going to do by just imagining the most horrible, evil thing possible. And turns out to be right a lot of the time.

 

In this case, my initial reaction was not only is this evil, but also dumb because of how much free money it leaves on the table. But upon further reflection, how much you want to bet SC(or some other red state) does this and then sues the Feds to say that they want all of the money that would have went to UI, only they're going to hand it out in tax breaks to companies.

 

Back when weed was legalized in Washington state, the state set up a tax revenue sharing system for all participating counties and city governments - basically if that municipality allowed weed shops to open in their communities, they would also get a cut of the taxes collected.  The very red Yakima city council in Eastern Washington voted to not allow legal sales, and they also argued that they should still be able to get a cut of the revenue because of the negative impact of legal weed.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

 

Back when weed was legalized in Washington state, the state set up a tax revenue sharing system for all participating counties and city governments - basically if that municipality allowed weed shops to open in their communities, they would also get a cut of the taxes collected.  The very red Yakima city council in Eastern Washington voted to not allow legal sales, and they also argued that they should still be able to get a cut of the revenue because of the negative impact of legal weed.  

I remember that, my mom lived in Kennewick at the time. It was funny to watch. I'm pretty sure the tri-cities area did the same thing for a couple years. Now there's one dispensary for the entire area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I remember that, my mom lived in Kennewick at the time. It was funny to watch. I'm pretty sure the tri-cities area did the same thing for a couple years. Now there's one dispensary for the entire area.

 

lol talk about malicious compliance

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...