~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

On 4/13/2021 at 12:28 AM, Air_Delivery said:

Arclight is far better than AMC.

AMC is much more consistent and reliable than it was 10-15 years ago on the nuts and bolts like "is the projector in focus" and "is the projector aligned to the screen" but even so ArcLight was still a more consistently enjoyable experience. 

I think the local one has green lights in the emergency exit signs though which was always sorta annoying, red emergency exit signs don't draw your focus as much. 

48 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

lmao

There is almost a pathological inability for people to accept that these jobs deserve a decent wage.

The comments section immediately devolved into a fight about how "if people want to get paid more, maybe they should learn a job worth more".

In a story about businesses closing because they can't hire enough workers....

Working in a place like that for a long time, I have had many "cut off our nose to spite our face" experiences. Sometimes the business would literally rather hurt itself than admit you might be worth more.

• Guillotine 1

11 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

There is almost a pathological inability for people to accept that these jobs deserve a decent wage.

The comments section immediately devolved into a fight about how "if people want to get paid more, maybe they should learn a job worth more".

Working in a place like that for a long time, I have had many "cut off our nose to spite our face" experiences. Sometimes the business would literally rather hurt itself than admit you might be worth more.

In my experience, a lot of times these jobs have bosses who go out of their way to make the point that not that you're worth more, but you're not worth shit at all.

14 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Just read the article...

The Andersons have had to ask more of their current staff. More hours, more flexibility, more patience. But they lived in such fear of an employee quitting that they were reluctant to ask them even to do routine jobs. “You tiptoe around,” says Liz. “You say: ‘Can you clean this … please?’ You’re very cautious.” They preemptively offered financial rewards to some of their key employees, including a $1,500 loyalty bonus to their kitchen manager. It didn’t work. “The last straw,” says Liz, “our kitchen manager just walked. When she walked, I said—‘We just can’t do this anymore.’ Our life was really being negatively affected by this.”

“I gave her a little extra and she walked three days later,” says Bill. “I gave her $1,500,” he adds, incredulously.

I love the please line. I've had to call out folks restoring to me for making a mess, but I still ask them to clean up with a please and then offer to buy them food and booze as a thanks.

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In my experience, a lot of times these jobs have bosses who go out of their way to make the point that not that you're worth more, but you're not worth shit at all.

In my experience this type of culture comes from the top down. District and higher it is pretty well ubiquitous. Once you get to managers and GMs that actually work in the store the smart ones learn to appreciate the employees. Some of the best people I have worked with were GMs, but so were some of the worst.

And almost invariably corporate weeds out the former and promotes the latter :lol:

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

lmao

Where will Fox News correspondents go to interview real Americans on what they think about politics?

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

Pretty much every single fast food restaurant in my area has signs up on the doors about hiring.

All the drive thrus close to my house have signs taped up on them 'we are extremely understaffed please excuse the longer wait' and then they stuff a small flyer in your food bag saying they're hiring. "Interview now, start today" they all say. Raise your fuckin' hourly rate you morons. This isn't hard.

GIANT finally jumped on board and raised the full time starting wage to $15. THAT is when I said “make me full time” and got my third raise in three months since my department lead slipped and fell, breaking her elbow.

Despite raising the starting wage, no one wants to apply. I even sent out feelers to a bunch of my friends out of work, they don’t want the job.

A big issue for mom and pop shops is they already struggle to compete with the chains due to issues like economy of scale creating much thinner margins for them. So increasing payroll as a percentage of revenue is nearly impossible, meaning they will likely have to raise prices to increase compensation which now makes them less competitive with the big companies on price. Basically there is no way for many to exist without the government subsidizing it either to them directly or on the backend with benefits for low paid staff. We already live in a corporate hellscape, might as well embrace it

46 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A big issue for mom and pop shops is they already struggle to compete with the chains due to issues like economy of scale creating much thinner margins for them. So increasing payroll as a percentage of revenue is nearly impossible, meaning they will likely have to raise prices to increase compensation which now makes them less competitive with the big companies on price. Basically there is no way for many to exist without the government subsidizing it either to them directly or on the backend with benefits for low paid staff. We already live in a corporate hellscape, might as well embrace it

Fuck big business!  Shop local!

Also: If local businesses can't support $15 an hour, fuck them!  They deserve to go out of business!

...Meanwhile, you have big business starting to lobby for higher minimum wages, because they CAN support higher wages AND it decreases the amount of competition from local and small business who cannot afford the sudden increase in labor costs.

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

In my experience this type of culture comes from the top down. District and higher it is pretty well ubiquitous. Once you get to managers and GMs that actually work in the store the smart ones learn to appreciate the employees. Some of the best people I have worked with were GMs, but so were some of the worst.

And almost invariably corporate weeds out the former and promotes the latter :lol:

The reason I never want to work for a big corporation again is because of that culture. A company gets big enough and all of the sudden people are making decisions that affect your work that have no idea what you do. That coupled with the fact that "failing upward" gets to be a thing with management which isn't a thing in small businesses (unless it's nepotism-related)

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Fuck big business!  Shop local!

Also: If local businesses can't support $15 an hour, fuck them!  They deserve to go out of business!

...Meanwhile, you have big business starting to lobby for higher minimum wages, because they CAN support higher wages AND it decreases the amount of competition from local and small business who cannot afford the sudden increase in labor costs.

Its almost as if we should be taxing corporations a lot more.

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

Just make it 20k for married couples and there is way less of an issue!

If only that was what they were asking for! (Though folks like nadler would probably accept)

Your friendo is right tho

The top 1 percent of households would receive 56 percent of the benefit of repeal, and the top 5 percent of households would receive over 80 percent of the benefit, while the bottom 80 percent of households would receive just 4 percent, according to the Tax Policy Center (TPC).

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If only something could be done about the high cost of living (aka the high cost of housing) 

There isn't dude, we're out of housing because of fucking millennials like us and there's nothing we can do now. :(

11 hours ago, Jason said:

There isn't dude, we're out of housing because of fucking millennials like us and there's nothing we can do now. :(

The article's a bit weird, and maybe I'm misreading it, because it talks about the spike in demand outstripping new construction, but ties it to homeownership eluding millennials for the past decade.

This is the first line:

The housing market is screwing over millennials — unless builders get their act together.

And then:

Homeownership has been largely elusive for millennials over the past decade. But now that they're finally buying homes, the all-at-once demand could end up creating an affordability crisis that makes homeownership unattainable yet again.

The headline should be different because the theme seems to be, "After not being able to afford homes, the surge in millennials buying homes amid a lumber shortage and high home prices could screw them again."