Jump to content

~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~


Jason
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

The reason it won't die is literally just Congresscritters funneling farm money to themselves and not wanting their money spigot turned off.

 those who benefit also have the ear of congress critters because they cut checks for campaigns

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time to check in with red state's killing UI benefits. Not surprising it has expanded.

 

 

Quote

In total, 13 GOP-led states — Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Wyoming — have announced plans to slash benefits as unemployment claims nationwide drop to pandemic lows. As the Washington Post reports, nearly 900,000 Americans are under threat of being cut off, some completely:

 

 

I expect most red states will have killed it by the end of May. It is already established rightwing dogma that the UI benefits are to blame for everything wrong with the job market.

 

We are now at or near the tipping point where red states not going along with killing it will be accused of being RINOs and hating Trump. Because, much like the big lie, Republicans know they are so odious and unpopular that any Republican not going along serves as a mirror to their hideousness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I don't understand is why these states are so desperate for workers to return to service industry jobs.

 

All you ever hear is that workers demanding a living wage should get "real jobs". These service industry jobs are for teenagers.

 

But now the entire economy is going to collapse if grown adults don't get back to their 7.25 an hour jobs this instant!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

What I don't understand is why these states are so desperate for workers to return to service industry jobs.

 

All you ever hear is that workers demanding a living wage should get "real jobs". These service industry jobs are for teenagers.

 

But now the entire economy is going to collapse if grown adults don't get back to their 7.25 an hour jobs this instant!

 

 

 

"You need to go to college and study hard!  You don't want to end up a loser flipping burgers do you?"

"What, your job let you go and now you can't find work?  Stop being so lazy and go flip burgers!"

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

What I don't understand is why these states are so desperate for workers to return to service industry jobs.

 

All you ever hear is that workers demanding a living wage should get "real jobs". These service industry jobs are for teenagers.

 

But now the entire economy is going to collapse if grown adults don't get back to their 7.25 an hour jobs this instant!

 

It was always bad-faith bullshit to justify not paying people for the work.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

What I don't understand is why these states are so desperate for workers to return to service industry jobs.

 

All you ever hear is that workers demanding a living wage should get "real jobs". These service industry jobs are for teenagers.

 

But now the entire economy is going to collapse if grown adults don't get back to their 7.25 an hour jobs this instant!

 

 

$2.13/hour if you make tips in most southern states.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jason said:
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. restaurants and stores are rapidly raising pay in an urgent effort to attract more applicants and keep up with a flood of customers as the pandemic eases. McDonald's...

 

The company I work for is currently offering $1000 signing bonuses for line cooks because they can't get any. I imagine they'd probably find a lot more if they just raised the wages of cooks to $18/hour. The bonus seems like a short term solution to avoid having to pay more money over a long term

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The company I work for is currently offering $1000 signing bonuses for line cooks because they can't get any. I imagine they'd probably find a lot more if they just raised the wages of cooks to $18/hour. The bonus seems like a short term solution to avoid having to pay more money over a long term

Yep. It's why when there's high rental vacancy landlords will give a free month or some other promotion rather than cut rents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yep. It's why when there's high rental vacancy landlords will give a free month or some other promotion rather than cut rents

The nice apartment I had for years had a renewing bonus that was 2 free months or lower monthly. I always took the free months. That luxury 2 bedroom apartment was cheaper monthly compared to my current studio apartment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy that the screws are tightening against these low wage work places, to be honest.  Most of these places can absolutely afford to pay their workers substantially more, all without drastically increasing prices.  The downside is that this upward pressure on wages will undoubtedly cause more small businesses to fail as they can't compete with big businesses like Walmart, Target, McDonalds, and others.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The bonus seems like a short term solution to avoid having to pay more money over a long term

That is exactly what it is. They want to avoid raising the price floor for labor since it typically never goes back down.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

That is exactly what it is. They want to avoid raising the price floor for labor since it typically never goes back down.

I can't speak for every industry, but shortage of line cooks has been a thing for my entire adult life. It's hard to find reliable line cooks, and when you do find them they tend to jump ship to the next opportunity at first chance. It's a very hard, stressful job that doesn't pay very well.

 

To me it just seems like a no brainer. Pay these people more. Like I mentioned in my thread on the asylum, I know of plenty of places that are run so smoothly that employees tend to stay there for years. A job opening might happen once every 5 years. They pay their cooks what they deserve and give the FOH staff a regular schedule where they can make good money. That's all anyone wants, and if you can figure out how to make that work, the business will pretty much run itself.

 

Also if you're constantly having to train new people, you're paying double wages plus the extra money for the trainer (assuming your company does that)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

 

Without a real/universal system for monitoring employment, people are simply getting scheduled for job interviews and just not showing up for them,  causing a waste of time for employers.

As someone who has hired people, fuck that. The amount of people who never showed up for interviews is staggering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 1:11 AM, Fizzzzle said:

The company I work for is currently offering $1000 signing bonuses for line cooks because they can't get any. I imagine they'd probably find a lot more if they just raised the wages of cooks to $18/hour. The bonus seems like a short term solution to avoid having to pay more money over a long term

 

It always amazes me how hateful this country is towards the people who make their food.  I used to work in culinary from catering to yacht clubs.  We got paid liked shit, worked to the bone, and expected to come back in the follow day despite not even having enough time to get 5 hours of sleep.  It was infuriating hearing servers complain about lousy tips when I was in the back of the house working my ass off for pennies.  I had to threaten to quit at times for raises because I knew the company couldn't afford to lose me.  Love kitchen culture and the bonds you develop with those you work with, but fuck that industry.  Dishwashers and cooks deserve a living wage and this shouldn't be a matter of discussion.  People who have never worked in the service industry need to shut the fuck up because they have no idea what it's really like behind the scenes.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vaxick said:

 

It always amazes me how hateful this country is towards the people who make their food.  I used to work in culinary from catering to yacht clubs.  We got paid liked shit, worked to the bone, and expected to come back in the follow day despite not even having enough time to get 5 hours of sleep.  It was infuriating hearing servers complain about lousy tips when I was in the back of the house working my ass off for pennies.  I had to threaten to quit at times for raises because I knew the company couldn't afford to lose me.  Love kitchen culture and the bonds you develop with those you work with, but fuck that industry.  Dishwashers and cooks deserve a living wage and this shouldn't be a matter of discussion.  People who have never worked in the service industry need to shut the fuck up because they have no idea what it's really like behind the scenes.  

I'm always for giving cooks a larger portion of tip share, but I think the better solution is just fucking paying them more. Stop expecting customers to subsidize the wages of your employees through tips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big fucking surprise.

 

The Republican states kicking people off UI are also doing a shitty job of achieving policy goals that will make it possible for people to return to work.....

 

 

 

Quote

Notably, most of the states that have chosen to opt out of federal unemployment programs have done a lackluster job with their vaccine rollouts and are still leaning on some amount of remote learning. As of this weekend, all but two of them—Iowa and New Hampshire—had vaccinated less of their residents than the national average of 47 percent, according to the New York Times’ tracker. 

 

 

Vaccination rates by state

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...